So what's your excuse?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
BTW I also wondered what these moots are like. I'm kind of on the edge of bushcraft, kind of more backpacking / wildcamping / exploring the countryside type but always interested in anything outdoors. I've always kind of assumed I would be out of place. Especially since I have never made a knife, a spoon or leather pouch. I doubt those are not needed to go to a moot but its enough to make me wonder. What goes on at a moot? Willl a newbie with little more than a tent / tarp and a clipper knife be made welcome?

Morrolan

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2010
Chorley, Lancashire
Same here - working and breaking up the boredom on here!

However I'm getting a little scared about the moot (my first) - some people seem to be taking entire workshops with them and filling vans - can anyone tell me exactly what to expect, i.e. how many people will likely be there etc?

I've got to bring all of my stuff on my back and people seem to be packing their entire house :confused:

Last edited:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
only 2 more sleeps and were there regards dave oh and by the way been packing all day s much stuff so little space oh wot to do wot to do?

My excuse is that I can hardly move at the moment and am semi-recumbent on the sofa. My back has been in spasm since Sunday evening and the quack has given me anti-inflammatories, diazepam and strict instructions not to drive until Thursday. She also thinks I shouldn't be going to the Bushmoot, but I'm gonna do my best to be there, I've been looking forward to it for too long.

mattweasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2010
hertfordshire england
Ha ha! Love this thread, I was just thinking the same thing the other day.:lmao:
I think there must be a lot of people sitting in front of their computers when they (like me) would rather be in the woods.
Anyway, my excuse is that I'm looking after my three kids while my wife is at work this evening.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I don't know what I'm doing from one day to the next, which often results on weekday plans being scuppered by early bedtime for a 3am getup.:(
If (and it's not much of an excuse) I had woodland within striking distance, I'd probably live there most of the time!

Timbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2010
wish I was outdoors however I'm stuck in an office with a hundred others looking blankly at a computer screen! hmm I suppose if I didn't do this I'd be permanently outdoors! (homeless) anyway the weekend is coming and I've just found a nice wee semi-secluded spot for practising some brew making, firestarting, tarp-hanging type activites so looking forward to that.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Today's excuse is different. I booked the day off anyway as i hada job interview in an out of the way (i.e not on easy public transport routes) location and SWMBO needed the car.

Just had the call to say I didn't get the job. Gutted.

Think I'll go and do something theraputic, like light a fire...

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Supervising builders - this is week two and they say it will be another week before they are finished.

Is that your idea of a week or a builders idea of a week? :)

As for me today I'm loading the car up ready for the off to the moot tomorrow :D

Sorry about the job Harvestman, fingers crossed for the next one though.

TaTanka

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 28, 2010
Texas
Stuck at home cleaning and organizing so we can start to work on remodeling an old bedroom that's going to become the new nursery; however it will have an outdoor theme.

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
Is that your idea of a week or a builders idea of a week? :)

:dunno: Good question

Actually this lot are very good - we've used them before and they did say 2 -3 weeks when they gave us the quote. Since they literally uncovered a couple of hidden problems when they started it's going to be three weeks. If I'd been doing it myself it would have been 2 - 3 months and that long with the bathroom in pieces wouldn't have gone down well. :nono:

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Well if you really want to know, you all scare the hell out of me.

I'm not that much of a gregarious person even amongst people who are supposedly like me.

I'm an interloper, an intruder, an outsider, at least that is how I feel.

I'm too caggy handed to carve an acceptable spoon, and when the wine is in the wit is definitely out.

I don't own any fancy bushy knife, let alone an axe more gracious than a homebase fiskars. (and worse)

I don't even own a respectable 4WD any more (yes it's Japanese) and most of my "bushcraft" skills (not that I ever considered them such) went out the window years ago. I stopped growing my own food ten years back (no room on a balcony)

You would consider my latest attempt at a hiking staff wierd and a half (which is the way I like it, there are no straight lines in nature)

I'm off to Wales in a weeks time and if I make a fool of myself at least I will do it alone :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE