So what have you broken?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
not much... my first ever knife, a folder which cost about £10 (a lot when your 7) died gracefully after i spent an hour at a scout camp felling a 5-6" tree with it. others are just cheap folders which die as throwing knives :D and of course tips of opinels, why they dont send them pre-snapped is beyond me!

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
People never used to believe I could break balisongs by flipping them properly. and I am talking about benchmades and tachyons here not ccc's.
One tach I admit was thrown, but well, into a throwing board, semi soft rotted chipboard...It was pretty good steel just couldn't take the vibrations.

When it comes to working blades, I break the tips quite often more than anything else, too many blades with tips ground too small. My north star now has a nice belly tip, axes I tend to chip out at either the top or bottom, I don't know how.

I don't know how people break things so much...

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Battoning a kinfe with something made of metal is not a good idea.... = broken blades in a lot of cases.

When I found I was regularly having toruble battoning wood it was usually because it was too thick or I was using the wrong tool. If you want to split anything bigger than 4", in my limited experience, then a knife is probably the wrong tool; as mentioned axes, wedges, froes etc.. are much better

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
the handle of an axe. to be fair, it was some kind of plastic, and hollow. nearly embeded itself in my toes to boot.
my first knife (a cheapo SAK alike) sort of gracefully fell apart over a period of several months, and my current locking folder (another cheapo) is trying to do the same.

bones wise, both main bones in my right arm, the day before I was supposed to go on holiday to france. mum was not happy.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Umm where to begin

1.Jaw and left forearm on a scateboard when I was 12
2.My left hand little finger one year after the jaw on a beach in cornwall
3. Compression fracture in two of my lower lumber(back) mountain biking outside queenstown in new zealand 8 years ago
4.My pelvis and my right wrist 2.5 years ago riding a bike over the top of a car which came over my side of the road on Park st in Bristol
5 O Yer and my nose a couple of times
6 Umm and a chip out my left elbow while drunk about 15 years ago

I think that is it

Last edited:

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
my very first lock knife that was given to me as a present from an uncle bent 90 degrees the wrong way when i took it to a scout camp and tried using it to carve oak. Apparently my uncle had been given it on his 16th birthday and he's now 64 no surprise really lol. now had it fixed and is in a drawer as a memento nothing more

Thanks Dave

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I can't say I have ever broken any knife :yikes:

Does that mean I'm not a knife user :D

Means your not a knife abuser
anim_16.gif

D

Deleted member 7976

With general kit...

I had a friend in the scouts once who was on an expedition, one particular leg being circular so using the same field two nights on the trot. Rather than carry all of the heavy stuff around they had the bright idea of cutting away some turf, digging a hole, putting all of the pans, etc in it and replacing the turf to hide it. During the day farmer let the cows in to graze and by evening every pan was squashed flat. When they unpacked they also seemed to have one less scout tent than when they packed in the morning :)

With knives....

Just my bank account and credit cards :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE