So, just why am I so unhappy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ToneWood

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2012
Wessex
Your plans have been upset. It's a set back but learning to deal with set backs is perhaps the most import life skill there is. Durham is really geared to northeners looking for an Oxbridge type atmosphere up north, without the rigors or inconvenience of getting into Oxbridge. But you're from Wiltshire (so leaving would make you sad) - there are plenty of other places closer to home (Cardiff, Bristol, Oxford, Exeter, Bath, Swansea, Portmouth, Southampton, Plymouth, etc. - if you are posh, most colleges have halls that can provide you with the traditional experience you might seek, just hyphenated your last names and they'll take the hint ;)). Up north, Manchester is now highly rated. What about St. Andrews in Scotland?

I love Cornwall, it can feel remote (less so in the Summer) - especially inland I am told - but it is a great location, and that is part of its beauty. However, I've never heard of that college let alone that course, is it in the same league as Durham? I would think not even close. Durham was probably a first or second tier University in the old days. Truro wasn't an old University, nor do I recall a Polytechnic down there, so what was it? Local technical college? Don't get me wrong, Cornwall is a great place to build new HE colleges, to balance out the Summer holiday business/traffic and provide a beautiful and tranquil location to learn in. But it looks like you applied to the premier league and the fourth division - maybe you should look around more in the middle ground? But if the course and location grab you, and the standards are good, then that's ok.

I'd suggest that you make sure you gain skills that will help you find work afterwards. Cornwall is fabulous - but you need to know how to enjoy it: surf, rock climb, paint, spear-fish, sea kayak, angling, beaches, walks, pretty girls, visit the galleries of St. Ives, the restaurant if you can afford to - find ways to experience its joys. But you'll probably feel happier if you know you are gaining valuable knowledge/skills too - so, whatever you do, apply yourself (another important life skill). If I went there, I might never leave. ;)

Last edited:

bearbait

Life (IMHO) is comparable to a whole bunch of cycles, or tides with its ebbs and flows. At the moment you and your life's cycles are maybe just a bit out of sync. Chill; it will all come back together and be in tune. You say the course could have been tailor-made. So do it; be you in Truro: in my experience good stuff invariably follows a disappointment.

Have a goody!

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Take up fishing, catch a tan, learn coastal foraging... I know where I would rather be.

As said, fates not always a bad thing. A couple of my big knock-backs, looking back, worked out a bl@@dy good thing!

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I am being silly. Truro sounds great fun...and they are supportive. (unlike other places.)

I can go to Durham when I have got a degree.

Kids? No, I have heard it involves a man and Ive never been able to afford one of those.

And Truros nearer the sea...

Im sure I will be full of experemental archaeology questions when the time comes

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
I've lived in the Truro area and i have to say it's a lovely part of the world. All the coastal foraging you could manage and plenty of woods. All a person with your interests could want.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Loads of different experimental archaeology going on in Cornwall. For example a full-size Ferriby Bronze Age boat being built at the Falmouth Maritime Museum this year, roundhouses all over the place plus the challenges of presenting tons of heritage to the public. Then there is the opportunity of enjoying the mesolithic with coastal foraging, build your own midden! I'd say you have won first prize not second best.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I got turned down by my first choice for no reason I could understand.

My 2nd choice turned out far better than I'd ever expected. I wouldn't let it worry you!

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
I am being silly. Truro sounds great fun...and they are supportive. (unlike other places.)

I can go to Durham when I have got a degree.

Kids? No, I have heard it involves a man and Ive never been able to afford one of those.

And Truros nearer the sea...

Im sure I will be full of experemental archaeology questions when the time comes

Now that's the attitude!!!

Although I need some clarification on the men too expensive thing - I think I've been underpricing.... ;)

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I got turned down by my first choice for no reason I could understand.

My 2nd choice turned out far better than I'd ever expected. I wouldn't let it worry you!

Is this to do with the University choice or having children?

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
University Huon! :)

The kid is a very, very (not even quite there yet) recent addition to life.

bearbait

If you had yourself some children - be it conventionally or with a turkey baster - just think of the truly awful sentence you would condemn them to...70 or 80 or more years of an increasingly dystopic future.

Better off without, I'd say, both for you and most certainly for them. Do your own thing, Tengu, and enjoy it...you are not alone!

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Lots of good advice and funny replies on here Tengu.

To paraphrase the Buddhists; without knockbacks or suffering, we wouldn't recognise happiness.

As my dear old much missed Gran used to say "As one door shuts, another closes".

I'd rather be in Truro than than the Pink Panther Town anyday.

Liam

(Pink Panther tune; durham, durham - a very old joke)

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
I really recommend a book called Destructive Emotions (if memory serves) by Danial Goleman. Reading that is the closest I've ever come to having a "life changing" event. I would recommend it anyone who's interested in understanding the human mind, and themselves.

Cheers

Mat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE