So, just why am I so unhappy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Durham University turned me down.

(I was told it was a hard uni to get to)

My sole course choice is History and Heritage and Cornish studies at Truro college.

Which is actually a course that seems to have been tailor made for me....

Its got lab work, field work and experimental archaeology.

Truro is a great place, and the college very supportive.

So Why am I unhappy?

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Probably for the same reason you think your IQ was not good enough to meet your expectation.

and i,m afraid only you can answer the question,.....

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Durham is over rated - there's nowt to do there. Truro sounds fun - you have access to the beach in the summer. Idyllic even. THe course sounds awesome.

Why are you unhappy? "Numpty" springs to mind... ;) Seriously you're unhappy because you've been turned down. No one likes rejection. But I think fate is doing you a favour.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
Durham is over rated - there's nowt to do there. Truro sounds fun - you have access to the beach in the summer. Idyllic even. THe course sounds awesome.

Why are you unhappy? "Numpty" springs to mind... ;) Seriously you're unhappy because you've been turned down. No one likes rejection. But I think fate is doing you a favour.

behave durhams great with loads to do theres 3 climbing walls near were i live and mountain biking at hamsterley forest and your only 20 minutes at most from the coast plus theres brockwell woods meets which is why i think your upset cause you were desperate to come tengu ;)

sorry you did nt get first choice but look for the postives and im sure it will work out fine :D

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
behave durhams great with loads to do theres 3 climbing walls near were i live and mountain biking at hamsterley forest and your only 20 minutes at most from the coast plus theres brockwell woods meets which is why i think your upset cause you were desperate to come tengu ;)

sorry you did nt get first choice but look for the postives and im sure it will work out fine :D

What do I know - I chose my Uni based on the price of the beer in the Union!

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... So Why am I unhappy?

There's a footpath that goes through a railway cutting on the route that I take the dogs every morning. I usually run that part, because it's steep, and it's hard, and I think that must be good for me.

Now that I'm in my 60th year the exertion hurts a lot more that it did when I was your age, but I'm very happy that I can still do it. Very happy because I can still do it.

Somebody once asked Graucho Marx (sorry, probably a bit before your time) how it felt to be an old man. He said

"Not bad, when you consider the alternative."

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I find emotions a bit like weather. You don't always get to know where they've come from. You have experienced a loss; it is natural that you feel sad. If a rain cloud is coming, get your tarp up and get a brew on. The rain will pass. If you try to outrun the cloud, then you end up always with the cloud hanging over you. Allow yourself to grieve the plans you had for Durham. (Tea, chocolate and mates will help). Then look forward to the plans you can make for Truro. Anyone who has moved house can tell you that you can still feel sad on the cusp of something new and exciting.

Z

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Being knocked back is a smack in the teeth - only natural to be unhappy about it. Still in the long run if Truro is a more suitable course for you then you're better off there - and it's a nice part of the world AFAIK.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Embrace fate and let it carry you along.
Durham , though nice , is not that awesome and the Truro alternative sounds pretty cool.
I ended up in Sheffield after being turned down by Oxford and have always had a soft spot for
Sheffield whereas Oxford , though academically elitist , is a pretty average town.
If you really really want Durham , defer your application and spend the year doing awesome things in
the subject you seek to study then reapply next year.
If not then Go West!
Cheers , Simon

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
If you're certain that Durham turned you down because of something you've said, done, lacked or failed in, then sure; be unhappy, beat yourself up, curse yourself, live in the darkness, allow it to penetrate to your very core.

...Or you could pick yourself up, and forge ahead with renewed vigour in your advance and a clearer picture in your mind. If you wallow in self-pity you'll never reach your goal, having fallen at one of the first hurdles! Seeing as you're about to start university, you'll have a whole life full of setbacks, so don't get hung-up on the first one :lmao:

I was rejected by Imperial College London thirteen years ago, and having completed a degree at a (percieved) 'lesser' seat of learning and gained several years experience in my chosen field, I now find myself choosing graduates for employment in an industry where academic qualification counts for 10% and attitude and experience count for the rest. Needless to say, those who attended prestigous institutions look remarkable on paper, but what use is that when you're wet, cold, tired and have a team of engineers and drillers demanding answers to questions that only 'people skills' and experience can provide?

Now start looking at decent accomodation in Truro!

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Tengu, you need some children to brighten up your life and take up your time, you'd not worry so much about yourself then :D

The thought of a bunch of mini-tengus running round the moot is not something I'd dwell on for too long. But yes, having a few kids would make all the difference to your outlook on life.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't know; I think mini Tengu's might make life interesting :D

"If life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Tengu, life's too short, grasp the opportunity to go to a beautiful bit of the world, relish the academic life offered, expand your horizons and enrich your life immeasurably with every new experience.

It's normal to feel a bit down when the route you want is blocked, but there's always another way and the journey there might be a lot more enjoyable than you think.
I really hope that Uni is a great success :D

atb,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE