Snugpak Softie 12 Osprey VS Carinthia Defence 4 ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HoFFdog

May 20, 2012
The mild mild west!
Ok. I have been told I am lucky enough to have a £200 Christmas budget to blow on kit.

I need a sleeping bag. I want a robust, roomy, preferably central zip bag. I will be using this predominantly in a hammock all year so want a bag rated for a comfort rating of -10c.

I've whittled it down to two bags.

Snugpak Softie 12 Osprey VS Carinthia Defence 4

I can get a surplus Carinthia for £70. Not bad as they RRP at over double that. Alternativrly I can get a brand new Snugpak for around £100.

The Carinthia higher temp rating and centre zip appeals for hammocking. However the option to use the expander panel with the Snugpak is pretty much the only reason i would go for it over the Carinthia as I like spreading out when i sleep and often unzip bags down my shoulders to sleep with me.arms out.

I'm unsure what to get. What do you fellas think??

Ta

HoFFdog

May 20, 2012
The mild mild west!
I'd get a dedicated hammock under blanket and quilt personally...

I'm gonna get the Snugpak underquilt with the remainder of the budget. I want a sleeping bag so I still have the option to ground dwell which I quite like. In a hammock I just unzip down to the footbox, flip it round and use it like a topquilt.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I had the Osprey 12, it is very warm and a well made piece of gear. Don't know if weight is an issue to you but it is very heavy and bulky. I never needed that much insulation so ended up selling it and getting a Snugpak Softie 9 for winter and an Elite 2 for summer. No experience of the carinthia though.

Edit: I use the Winter expanda panel on my Softie 9 and it turns it into a slightly off centre, centre zip bag. It also makes into a huge bag.

Last edited:

HoFFdog

May 20, 2012
The mild mild west!
I had the Winter expanda panel on my Softie 9 and it turns it into a slightly off centre, centre zip bag. It also makes into a huge bag.

Hmm, that's kinda swaying me now. Does the expander panel still allow the drawstring to pull in tight around your face whilst still retaining the extra space inside?

Also is the extra room substantial? Can you stretch out your arms and assume some kind of fetal position, cos ibdont get on with uber mummy bags.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hmm, that's kinda swaying me now. Does the expander panel still allow the drawstring to pull in tight around your face whilst still retaining the extra space inside?

Also is the extra room substantial? Can you stretch out your arms and assume some kind of fetal position, cos ibdont get on with uber mummy bags.

Yes it can still be drawn tight as the panel itself has a small drawstring running through the top. The bag really is huge, I'm a 50" chest and the bag without the panel is large enough to not be restrictive. With the panel in it is massive, I can sleep in the foetal position easily. Having used it in my hammock; you can put out your legs in a figure 4 position for getting the asym lay right.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I've had both - and love the carinthia more. Minor niggles - the small face 'hole' (rather than hood) takes some getting used to, and sometimes it can be a little warm!

HoFFdog

May 20, 2012
The mild mild west!
I had the Osprey 12, it is very warm and a well made piece of gear. Don't know if weight is an issue to you but it is very heavy and bulky. I never needed that much insulation so ended up selling it and getting a Snugpak Softie 9 for winter and an Elite 2 for summer. No experience of the carinthia though.

Edit: I use the Winter expanda panel on my Softie 9 and it turns it into a slightly off centre, centre zip bag. It also makes into a huge bag.

That's quite a drop in temp rating for winter use going from an Osprey to the softie 9. What kind of temperatures have you been out in with the softie 9 and how warm did you find it. Did you have to bulk up on clotheing or add a bivvy or liner to the bag to stay warm? I don't want to add unnecessary bulk for the sake of it but do want a bag that I know will keep me warm in anything that the UK winter can throw at me. I have a read a few posts on here that say Snugpak bags are not half as warm as they claim and to purchase a temp rating above what you think you need.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I haven't really tried out the Softie 9 in any decently cold weather yet. I got it at the end of Spring so the jury is still out on weather it will be warm enough. For what its worth my experience with Snugpak bags is that the temperature ratings are pretty accurate and I've owned a few over the years.
I prefer a lighter weight bag that I can use in for most of the winter and then add a liner for those really cold camps.

Have you checked out the Snugpak Elite range? I found my Elite 2 to be just as well made as the UK made ones and you don't need to fork the extra for the Expanda panel, the Elite 4 looks like a good option.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
I prefer the 95 arctic bag. It's warm, has a central zip and the hood is much more comfortable than the small face hole in the carinthia IMHO. I would give some thought to getting one of these as a good one can be picked up for 30/40 quid.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have both bags, and personally I would go for the Carinthia. It is a warmer bag over all if you need it pack down to about the same size. The interior space is bigger on the Carinthia so no extra panel needed and I am a large bloke. At present I am camping out in Cormwall from late September to earlish December and Carthia is my bag by far, if some of the lads bags get wet or not warm enough I will lend them my snug pack but I ain't letting them have my carinthia unless I have to use my summer bag and Jervens :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE