British army modular sleep system, sizing and temperature rating

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 9, 2023
Yorkshire
I'm looking at buying some sleeping bags and am thinking the British army modular system from a surplus store could be a good option for the price.

As I understand, the medium bag is a copy of the carinthia defence 4 and the lightweight bag a copy of the tropen, both being made by fecsa.

I've noticed that the sizing of the fecsa bags is different to the carinthia bags (medium: 206cm fecsa vs 215cm carinthia, large: 218cm fecsa vs 230cm carinthia). Can anyone confirm these dimensions are correct? At 185cm I'm right on the middle of the carinthia sizing, but fecsa sizing would put me in a large? How do people find the sizing?

For UK use is it worth having the lightweight bag as well? What sort of temperature range do both bags cover? Carinthia give temperature ranges but I'm not sure if the fecsa compares and how realistic those temperature ranges are.

Lastly, if I have a silk liner already, is there any advantage to buying and using the matching fecsa liner instead?

Thanks in advance!

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Yes, size large is the right one for you.

So far I know the Fecza 3 season bag is less padded than the Carinthia Defence 4.

In your position I would get both bags.
There is no reason to carry a winter bag around in high summer hot weather conditions.

The German army issues first only the Defence 4 though and a padded army suit. Obviously it works.

I think you can knot the original liner in place. It's offered unused for approximately 10 €, so I would buy it.

I own the Snugpak Special Forces System and additional a German army bivvy bag, which is much more comfortable to enter than an issued British one, but much more expensive though especially if you buy it new.

So, what I can tell you about Carinthia and Fecsa sleeping bags is based on collected information and not personal experience.

The only Carinthia sleeping bag that I owned was the old Austrian army version in different pattern and materials.

A unused Fecsa sleep system with Issued British army bivvy bag is surely for a Brit the option with the best price value relation.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023
Yorkshire
Yes, size large is the right one for you.

So far I know the Fecza 3 season bag is less padded than the Carinthia Defence 4.

In your position I would get both bags.
There is no reason to carry a winter bag around in high summer hot weather conditions.

The German army issues first only the Defence 4 though and a padded army suit. Obviously it works.

I think you can knot the original liner in place. It's offered unused for approximately 10 €, so I would buy it.

I own the Snugpak Special Forces System and additional a German army bivvy bag, which is much more comfortable to enter than an issued British one, but much more expensive though especially if you buy it new.

So, what I can tell you about Carinthia and Fecsa sleeping bags is based on collected information and not personal experience.

The only Carinthia sleeping bag that I owned was the old Austrian army version in different pattern and materials.

A unused Fecsa sleep system with Issued British army bivvy bag is surely for a Brit the option with the best price value relation.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply! Good to know a size large would be best.

It sounds like the Germany army issue stuff is of higher quality!

I've heard a lot of good things about snugpak sleeping bags, and have considered the softie range, but to get two bags covering the same temperature range as the army system would be more expensive and there are not too many used examples around.

The snugpak special forces system in particular looks fantastic - sadly with me needing to buy multiple setups it is beyond me budget wise - one day maybe!

I've changed my mind a few times, but I think I've come to the same conclusion as you - it is hard to beat the versatility and value for money that the British sleep system offers here in the UK. I understand the pack size is large for both bags, but I do not trust the temperature ratings of a lot of the lighter synthetic civilian bags on the market and would prefer something a bit more robust.

Now to find a complete set in good condition and at a good price...!

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
You'll definitely want the large or else it'll be too cramped, I've found the medium bag with bivvy and mat to be fine year round in the UK.

Reactions: John59

BumblingAlong

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2021
Winchester
Which German army bivvy are you referring here.
A link would be appreciated

Jun 9, 2023
Yorkshire
You'll definitely want the large or else it'll be too cramped, I've found the medium bag with bivvy and mat to be fine year round in the UK.
That's useful to know thanks! I'm after more than one setup so if I could get away without the lightweight bag as well it would save a bit.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Not sure what the temp rating is on the lightweight bag you're looking at, but I've got a very lightweight (1 or 2 season) old snugpak bag that I've had lots of use for even though I'm too cold a sleeper to really use it on its own as intended. But it's great in combination with a warmer bag, either as a quilt to keep out drafts when sleeping with the bigger bag open or as an outer bag when the warmer bag isn't quite enough, or even to protect a downbag from moisture. It's also doing duty as a blanket when sitting about in the evening and as a duvet for bunkhouses etc. It packs down to nothing as well. I bought it in a sale over 15 years ago so definitely one of my better purchases.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE