Snugpac rocket-to buy or not to buy?!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bearman

Jul 18, 2010
kent
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a new pack and keep hearing mixed reviews on the snugpac, I'd like to hear some of your opinions/suggestions before i buy one.

I've used a issue PLCE bergan for the last 10 years, and have finally decided to ditch it in favor of something smaller (I have a tendency to take the kitchen sink). My main concern is that i love the durability and general toughness of the bergan, no matter how hard i've tried i've never broke it or ripped it! so i dont want anything inferior in quality, just something tough but a bit smaller than the PLCE.

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

mickeyluv

Tenderfoot
Nov 2, 2010
derbyshire
I was in the same position as you last week, I had a look at the snugpac but the back length felt too short so I went for a highlander proforce 44 litre. I havnt had chance to try it yet but first impressions are that it seems pretty well built (especially for half the price of the snugpac)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Rocket Pak is designed to be worn above webbing so is very short in the back length, I think the capacity is around 70-80L so maybe something liek the Karrimor Sabre 75 would be a better choice if you want the military look.

bearman

Jul 18, 2010
kent
I've heard that they come up short, but i'm only fairly short (5ft 7" at a push) so i wasnt sure if this would effect me too much?

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I have a Rocketpak.
I think they say it is 70L, but I know it holds slightly less than a Highlander 66 (which is, obviously, 66L) I used to have.
I'd say the Rocketpak was more like 60L.

I really love mine. I'm about average height (177cm/5'9") and have no problems with the short length.

As ever, the best advice is to try one on (preferably loaded) before you part with any cash. But I would happily buy another.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
build quality isn't a major issue with these, it will feel flimsy compared to your plce tho. i had the snugpak bergen and had a few niggles with it, but main thing was back length, i'm 6'1, way to short in the back. nice and padded though. would have another, but would get the smaller rocket pack, and only if they did a longer back length.

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
i have a rocketpac. it is short in the back but, as others have said if you are around 5' 8"ish (as i am) it's no problem. i find it has more than enough space for 2 or 3 nights easily. i really like it and would gladly recommend, so long as you're not a six-footer.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I too think its to short,( im 6ft 3 though)bought one for my brother's birthday few years ago,also agree with Rabbitsmacker,it felt very flimsy,specially if you compare it to a plce bergen,the straps are ok but the body of it just did'nt feel as thick or of the same quality.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Bearman, get this ruck! I got one after searching for an eternity and paid £30 more for it as well. It's well made, very comfortable, holds loads and loads (easily enough for 48 hours in the bush in just the main compartment alone if you're tarping), looks great and will last a very long time if the quality of mine is anything to go by.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I have one but recently upgraded to a LA Sting as been after one for ages. So Mine is up for grabs if you do decide to get one!

Good packs, just not for taller people.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i can tell you right now....

DONT BOTHER!!!!!!

spend the money on a really good pack, try looking at the "Camel Back Mother Load", its a really good small day pack, you can get tham allot cheeper though....

have a look at Drop Zone Supplies, im sure they have the same type for around £80, the mother load is around £120, i can vouch they will last through anything in the UK you could throw at it......

also have a flick through the "Soldier Magazine" if you can get hold of one, loads of deals in there, only down side is the colours, mainly army type dpm, you might be able to get a black one though.....

hope this helps a bit more....

chris.

bearman

Jul 18, 2010
kent
Thanks to everyone who posted, its a nightmare trying to decide as it seems that stores don't stock these kinds of rucksack so its hard to come to a decision! I think im going to try and get hold of a Lowe Alpine Sting, and if i cant find one it'll be the snugpac. Should be fine for a shortarse like me!!

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Why don't you buy lamper's? Good price. I paid 30 quid more for mine (although I love it more than life itself) and you won't find one in OD anywhere else.

bearman

Jul 18, 2010
kent
Why don't you buy lamper's? Good price. I paid 30 quid more for mine (although I love it more than life itself) and you won't find one in OD anywhere else.

I tried but I was a little late and he's already sold it :-( I've been looking for one everywhere but they are a nightmare to get hold of-hence the snugpac thread. Really wanted a Sting but i'm off hiking in Romania soon and i'm running out of time!

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Sabre 45 with pockets is the same size as the Rocket pack. Iv'e had both, and still have the Sabre. Sabre is better built and more versatile. RP is cheaper and does the job (but not as well).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE