Snow Holes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Johno76

Jan 4, 2014
United Kingdom
Hi
Just been told im off to Bavaria in march on exercise for two weeks and we will be making and living in snow holes (other stuff thrown in), does anyone have experience of this? I would like to know if there are any items I should get that might make my time more 'comfy' before I go.

Cheers

Johno

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
You should be issued with everything you need but there is a few extra things that will improve your comfort. On the initial digging try to wear just base layers & waterproofs as you soon build up a sweat(Make sure you have dry kit to get into afterwards). You can get insulated 'marigolds' (for packing fish etc) which are great for your hands, try to avoid using your mountaineering / skiing gloves they just get saturated.
You will probably get shovels but often they aren't the best tools in isolation. A really good saw is worth the weight -this need not be a snow saw, my Silky 'Bigboy' is an excellent tool for cutting snow as well as wood. I went on one trip & we spent about four hours digging the snow hole as the snow was like concrete, a decent saw (which we didn't have) would have been a massive advantage. Consider digging a cold well if its well below freezing.

You need a bivi bag to stay dry & I would recommend two mats (one closed cell & one Thermarest on top, which can be 3/4 length) as you lose loads of heat to the ground. Tent boots are great and down ones are very light.

For cooking its worth waterproofing a square of cardboard to raise your stove (or carry a small piece of wood). You may not have the choice but petrol stoves work better than gas at sub zero temperatures. Light is usually candles & they work fine. Enjoy!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A cheap space blanket makes a good "carpet" in a snowhole, saving you from losing small bits of kit as well as adding to thermal reflection.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Echo what Limaed said.

Keep shovels inside and out, make sure all holes are linked with rope and someone on candle-watch.

Get yourself a jack-flask (the Primus one is easier to keep clean than the issued one). http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1611...f11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=101&ff19=0

Obtain extra brew kit, there is hardly any in the rats these days. If you're working hard drop a nuun tablet in a pint of hot water or your jack flask instead of tea. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/nuun-active-hydration-tablets-tube/

Every time you have the stoves on the go make sure your flasks are full.

Staying dry is impossible, drying kit is difficult. Enjoy :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE