Firewood pests and solutions…

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Hi folks, I was enjoying the sun restocking and sorting the firewood today and I have noticed that I have somewhat of an infestation. The oak that I split and stacked back in the spring is suffering with beetle grub of some sort. I can’t find much online, but the cambium layer is turning to a red dust like powder and the bark is just coming away in sheets. There are small holes and I found a larvae or two but I assume most are buried down deep now. I’m not overly concerned as most of it will be burned up but it has left me with two questions.

Firstly, does anyone know anything about what insect this could be or has had the same experience?

Secondly, (and hopefully where the discussion can really take off too) what other pests/problems have people faced with their firewood and how did you control the issue?

I’ve had most things from mushrooms to mice, but red dust is a new one on me and rather a nuisance to deal with.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not sure about the red, but the frass is likely from something like a pinhole borer if it's on oak.

The only 'red' dust that I know of is from dry rot. Maybe it's a fungal infection rather than insect infestation ?

A friend found his woodpile to be infested, he just burned through it asap, and tried to keep the next stacks really well aerated as they dried.
Splitting the timber and removing the bark helps.
The bark gives insects hiding places, protection, and it can slow down drying.

The removed bark dries out more quickly too, and then it's just good tinder/ kindling.

Last edited:
Reactions: crosslandkelly

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There are a number of oak boring beetles - some infest oak whilst growing, others infest it (and other woods) once felled. Some only go into the bark layers but some bore deeper into the wood. There's even one called the Powder Post Beetle! The beetle could be the cause of the dust. I would need a photo to identify the beetle and they can be quite small :). How big are the holes?

The worst 'dust' problem I have had with firewood is on sycamore - black soot fungus which causes severe breathing problems with some people. It tends to form under the bark, though it can be visible on the outside as well, and can create quite high volumes of jet black soot-like dust.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I had exactly the same thing with some live-oak logs that I collected locally. Holes never went more than 1/8th inch deep into wood, but made mince of the inner bark layer. I stacked the wood in my conservatory and could hear the little blighters chewing if I stood in there quietly! Never did see an adult that I could identify. Didn't seem to like the other wood and haven't had any lasting problems with other wood in there since.

Reactions: Broch and Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE