Smart 'phone apps for bushcraft.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

haptalaon

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2023
South Wales
Aurora watch UK - notifies you if the aurora might be visible

Weather - on your Internet browser, go to your favourite weather page and bookmark it. Then go to your bookmarks and select the page (possibly by long-pressing it instead of tapping it quickly), and you might be able to put a link to it on your phone's main page - it'll look like an app, but it'll just be a shortcut.

You might find the met Office or BBC weather has an app if you look.

Animatedknots.com /knots by grog - use the bookmark trick to put this on your phone main page too. I don't know if there's an app, but it's great to have on hand.

iRecord app - my favourite. When you identify a plant or creature, input it. Researchers, nature managers and unis etc have access to the data. I use it for documenting invasive species as that's my forte. Not helpful for you, but helpful for others (tho I find it can be very motivating as well to go out and find more!)

Hereweg

Subscriber
Jan 26, 2023
Wessex
Apple have increased coverage for their GPS texting capabilities on the iPhone for the upcoming iOS 18 release (currently in public beta). This allows you to send texts via satellite connection, rather than requiring phone service.

Currently you can send SOS messages via satellite, and get in touch with emergency services via text communications. The upcoming release will allow you to send standard SMS messages to people via satellite, however.

This is a massive benefit for iPhone users in my opinion.
Will this feature be available in the UK, or will it be US only to start with I wonder?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
No news on when it'll be available. Apple uses the GlobalStar sat network, which covers most places.

All LTE capable phones will have the ability soon, just have to be signed up to a provider.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE