Free Compass App and other usefull free Outdoor Apps for Android Smartphones?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Erbswurst is making a problem out of nothing. Just pull out the actual compass, for gods sake!
Or do like I do, put this on your other wrist that is not carrying the watch = Suunto M9.
115297_0.jpg

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I absolutely prefere analogical equipment, a real compass and a real paper map.
But in totally crowded areas a navigation app can be a nice toy.
In Germany we have usually every 1500 metres a building. It is absolutly impossible to get lost in the most of our areas. So an electronic map and compass in combination with develloped skills to navigate without anything here could be a usefull option for a short walk.

Of course I would not like to depend on electronics in the Finnish forest...
;)

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I tend to go places with no/appalling signal (actually, the same goes for my house!) and I don't trust phone batteries, especially in the cold, so I don't rely on my phone much when out and about. But I have recently added OS Locate, Where is public toilet, and park4night - mainly for van outings. I've been contemplating getting that three-word-location app but not sure yet.

My new camera has GPS location and apparently also a digital compass and thermometer, as I found out when all my photos from the Drake Passage showed that the temp was 21.5*C... (I kept it in my pocket to keep the batteries warm.)

Feurio

Jul 15, 2019
Bavarian Alps
I can wholeheartedly recommend Mapy.cz. The best app I have found so far. Great OSM maps with altitude layer, all free to download, so it works independently from reception. You can simply download the maps for your region and you have a detailed map with you, wherever you go. Also great in cities!
I partially work as a mountain guide and I have to confess that I hardly use oldschool maps anymore (even though I love them!), simply because it is so convenient. Shame!

Last edited:

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Yeah, I was shown this by a conservation friend:
Plant Net

It's absolutely fantastic. You take a picture of the plant, upload it, and it tells you what it is.
An absolute blinder!

I've also got this one on my phone as well: Outdooractive:

Reactions: TeeDee

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I use "GPS Status" when travelling, it shows you your x,y,z position, satellites, fluxgate compass (if present), it also shows all sensors that exist on your phone and the values.

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE