Modern tech leading to dumber thoughts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ill trade my Aspergers for your Dyslexia.

It will mean giving up something I value the most, my great literary skills, but in return I could be a success in life.

If you feel writing is where your strength lies - start writing as career option. Start small.

Reactions: henchy3rd

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
However looking at a library copy in small town library, if they have it, and you could be looking at the edition 3 or 4 back without knowing it's likely to be out of date.

Counter argument is that online academic journals probably make a very good source of information unavailable in your local library.

There's positives and negatives with physical books and technology based sources. It's why you have to make a judgement on the quality of the source. That's true for any source of information.

Engineering or scientific knowledge doesn't age that fast. Particularly if you are an amateur/hobbyist.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
My 2 cents, this is the same topic as your (I think) social media questions... there are so many positives and so many negatives..

If I don't know how to spell something, I'd rather be told I've totally balls'd it up by an app than perhaps make a mistake that may potentially be make or break depending on who reads it.. But I should recognise that shortcoming in my spelling ability and try and learn that word 'for next time'.... but if I become reliant on it and ignore the necessity for me to do some mental graft, then I am obviously becoming "dumber".

But, is there a place for it? Much like social media/arsebook, yes of course!! I've got friends who are dyslexic and really need the help and support of some software/apps.

That being said, as someone who needs to hire people in life, if there are apps making CVs for people, then the bar will shift and what may be currently smart, will suddenly be a poor path to take..

As a society, its become harder to kill yourself through complete idiocy...this worries me more than anything as historically that could spell the end of a certain set of genes....nowadays the idiocy (nature or nuture) lives on... This is far more concerning than general apps (imo).

Reactions: Macaroon

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Engineering or scientific knowledge doesn't age that fast. Particularly if you are an amateur/hobbyist.
Very true, codes of practice/building regulations, (British standards....Eurocodes...did we brexit euro codes?) can change, but they rarely change in overly catastrophic ways that would render swathes of people totally beyond their use by date...

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
My 2 cents, this is the same topic as your (I think) social media questions... there are so many positives and so many negatives..

If I don't know how to spell something, I'd rather be told I've totally balls'd it up by an app than perhaps make a mistake that may potentially be make or break depending on who reads it.. But I should recognise that shortcoming in my spelling ability and try and learn that word 'for next time'.... but if I become reliant on it and ignore the necessity for me to do some mental graft, then I am obviously becoming "dumber".

But, is there a place for it? Much like social media/arsebook, yes of course!! I've got friends who are dyslexic and really need the help and support of some software/apps.

That being said, as someone who needs to hire people in life, if there are apps making CVs for people, then the bar will shift and what may be currently smart, will suddenly be a poor path to take..

As a society, its become harder to kill yourself through complete idiocy...this worries me more than anything as historically that could spell the end of a certain set of genes....nowadays the idiocy (nature or nuture) lives on... This is far more concerning than general apps (imo).
Maybe I should be clearer that I believe these type apps are very useful and beneficial for people that are dyslexic or maybe for whom the English language isn't there native tongue - but as you've mentioned they are obviously more usable as learning tools - to guide and gain a personal advancement in growth for oneself IF one applies it in that manner. But if one just uses it without an effort to learn I believe it can only lead to a potential decline.

Just my random thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
@TeeDee nope, your clarity was totally fine, I'm in total agreement... there are plenty lines of work where spelling isn't the most overly important attribute, but struggling to spell in order to actually successfully apply for the job makes certain tools extremely important.

I think the saving grace is the majority of folk are aware of these sorts of things, despite what the overwhelming media seems to suggest.

Reactions: TeeDee

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I think there is one area of modern technology that is actually improving my cognitive skills, and that is two stage verification where you get a text sent to your phone whenever you log in to your online banking or whatever. You have to remember the number and then type it in. For the first time in many years I remembered the new combination to the allotments which is changed every year on new years day, so I am getting better at recalling digits.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I think there is one area of modern technology that is actually improving my cognitive skills, and that is two stage verification where you get a text sent to your phone whenever you log in to your online banking or whatever. You have to remember the number and then type it in. For the first time in many years I remembered the new combination to the allotments which is changed every year on new years day, so I am getting better at recalling digits.

Maybe time to give Kims Game a resurrection. Glad its helping.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE