Sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

toptec

Sep 3, 2009
manchester
Hi all, can anyone recomend a good sleeping bag for use in a hammock? Does a centre front zip type be more use?
Steve

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I use a side zip sleeping bag in my hammock, its not really hard to get i to it.
I unzip my bag about 3/4 then sit on my hammock and swing my legs in Whilst sitting up I then zip it up as far as I can. Then lie down and zip it the rest of the way. Easy.

You might want to look at an underblanket as well if you sleep cold or going out in winter as you will compress the sleeping bag and can get cold spots. I didn't belive this at first and thought with a good bag I would be fine, then I woke up in the morning with a cold bottom :(

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Bit of an offtopic here, but:

All this mention of underblankets for hammocking - can you jury-rig a poncho liner or similar under the hammock to serve the same purpose? Or can a rollmat be put under you in the hammock for the same purpose?

I'm wanting to give hammocking a go, but given the UK is a bit nippier than the tropics, is there any way of avoiding the chill without having to splurge the cash on an underblanket? Was thinking of trying out a Hennessey, and whilst I'm sure the underblanket would do the job better than any creation I could rig up, I'd rather try a multi-use bit of kit giving a 75% solution than a single-use one giving a 100% solution, if you catch my drift.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Bit of an offtopic here, but:

All this mention of underblankets for hammocking - can you jury-rig a poncho liner or similar under the hammock to serve the same purpose? Or can a rollmat be put under you in the hammock for the same purpose?

I'm wanting to give hammocking a go, but given the UK is a bit nippier than the tropics, is there any way of avoiding the chill without having to splurge the cash on an underblanket? Was thinking of trying out a Hennessey, and whilst I'm sure the underblanket would do the job better than any creation I could rig up, I'd rather try a multi-use bit of kit giving a 75% solution than a single-use one giving a 100% solution, if you catch my drift.

In a word, yes.

Back on topic, side zip bags are fine.

If you're like me, you'll move about with the zip ending up wherever anyway.

I use both centre and side zipper bags.

As long as it keeps you warm, any bag will do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE