WANTED Shelelaigh

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
(Did I spell that right? Never mind)

A proper one, not a tourist one.

Im looking for one of my own but so far all the blackthorns seem to be less than straight)

I have a lot to trade, as usual.

IMG_5958.JPG

Wenger wash kit. (Nice this is, but I already have one)

IMG_5447.JPG

Canvas sholder bag

IMG_5961.JPG

Eurohike down sleeping bag

IMG_6618.JPG

Heavy little antler (might be good for knife making.)

Just a few random bits of mine, -lots more

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Ah, finding the right Blackthorn shank has always been the problem :) I have loads of Blackthorn but, when I find a straight one the root is not right (the shank should have 3 or 4 'knobs' that make contact with the cranium which are from roots not branches in the 'best' ones). As with all things natural, you can spend a lifetime looking for the 'perfect' material and never make one. Although Shillelaghs have traditionally been made with a variety of woods including oak, crab, blackthorn, ash, hazel and willow, so there's plenty to choose from.

And, of course, you can always straighten the shank.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
The reason they’re hard to find was because the tourists wanted them. Nigh on impossible to find a blackthorn with sufficient growth nowadays. They were used as walking sticks/deniable cudgels back in the day. I have a fine example here from my dad. Sorry I won’t be letting this one go.

Reactions: Broch

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
@Tengu I have to clear a fair length of an overgrown track going down to the river some time this year, if I find a suitable one you're welcome to it - but I'll almost certainly be lifting it outside of the cold season*. (reason being that to take vehicles down there without ploughing, I have to wait for a longish spell of dry weather) If that sounds alright, post an image of the sort of thing you want with dimensions required, and I'll keep an eye out.

*That written, I use a stick for work everyday and cut good ones when I see them, always with far more at each end than I need, and they always season well enough, be they hazel, ash or a thorn. Am happy to take up the whole root ball or lop it as preferred.

Reactions: Ystranc and Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thank you very much; yes, do so.

My departure for the Iron age is hypothetically 1st March but of course you can send it there.

(Tricky stuff, this time travel...hopefully a lot easier with this new fangled Quantum computer...)

What do you want for it?

• Haha
Reactions: GNJC

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
Thank you very much; yes, do so.

My departure for the Iron age is hypothetically 1st March but of course you can send it there.

(Tricky stuff, this time travel...hopefully a lot easier with this new fangled Quantum computer...)

What do you want for it?
That made me laugh... I have blackthorns by the thousands; I leave it to itself whenever I can, and only cut / lay / clear it when I have to. So I don't want anything for it.

But as and when and assuming you do get it, if you really want to do something for it, put the postage cost in any charity box for hospices, the forces, cancer or children. :)

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I will also keep a look out, I’ll be on with pruning and hedging for the next couple of months so the prospects are good. I have a lot of mature blackthorn, damson and wild cherry

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ah, I dont want you to think I am on the scrounge.

(But...I find it easier to ask for something and offer a swap than the other way around...)

Reactions: Robbi

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
Ah, I dont want you to think I am on the scrounge.

(But...I find it easier to ask for something and offer a swap than the other way around...)
Not a worry for me, if I have something, don't need it and passing it on won't do any harm, I've no problem with helping someone else out. It's a bit cliched, but... what goes around comes around.

On that tack... if you - or others! - find yourself in great need of bracken, Himalayan balsam, and several other such things, let me know.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
I made a staff from a 2-3 cm thick spruce that had grown at the edge of a bog = slow growth meaning tough wood. Pealed it and let it dry in a cold shed over winter. And finished it next summer. Though, springy (bends a bit) and a good bludgeon. Of course it doesn´t have the knob like the irish staff.

What I am trying to say is that there are other woods that might suit your need just as well.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
A proper one, not a tourist one.
What for?
Walking, waving, watching or walloping?

I do understand. My didgeridoo is undecorated and has no finish other than a natural patina. It’s been used properly. I wouldn’t want it on my wall but I vastly prefer it to the touristy ones.

I suspect that a used sheleighly will be found in the evidence room of a Cork police station.

Some of the bigger antique centres seem to have walking sticks in bundles on every stall. I’ll take a look.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its for keeping John away when he attempts to invade my shiny new Iron Age village.

(He admitted as such, he is coming).

We are a peaceful folk...that was before we had a place worth invading....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE