Sixteen and Unders Competition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Hopefully there are still some more under sixteens out there willing to try this. And surely some of us older bushcrafter have some youngster.

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
Anybody else
This is a really good competition that I really enjoyed doing
Surely there must be someone else who wants to win a brilliant prize?

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Hi Guys and girls

Sorry I have been a bit busy recently and havent been on the forum. I will leave this open until the end of the month, so if anyone wants to enter u have a bit longer to reply.

Cheers
T.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Okay. As soon as I told my step son Josh (11) about this tonight he practically dragged me out so he could get started!

All of the effort, work and craft has been done by my step son the only guidance he has has is me watching him to make sure he doesn't hurt himself.

Here goes his entry.

1) we went to our local sport of woodland so he could tackle this part of the challenge. He saw a wood drift next to the river and scavenged some piece of wood.

bcde92b1-506e-52f0.jpg

bcde92b1-507b-4caf.jpg

Once he had his wood he decided to see if he could get it to sit together "like bear grylls does"
bcde92b1-50a7-0944.jpg

2) next we went home and he was racking his little brain to try and figure out how to make the natural cordage. We went into the garden and noticed the creeper vines over growing our fence and wanted to use them.

bcde92b1-5190-6ee1.jpg

bcde92b1-519f-b079.jpg

Once he had cut it down he wanted to "roll" it in his own words together. I advised him to use all his skill of platting his sisters hair and this was the result.

bcde92b1-5238-8104.jpg

All in all he platted about 8-10 inches which he then used to tie his tripod up.

bcde92b1-527b-86ad.jpg

bcde92b1-528a-5f0e.jpg

3) the next thing was boiling water. I admit I did have to give him some clues on this one (he's only 11 after all) but he got the idea fairly quickly. He wanted to cut down a carton to use as a pot (like Ben did) although the one he chose was metallic inside.

bcde92b1-530d-e4e0.jpg

Once cut, he put holes in it and used some more vine to tie it onto his tripod.

bcde92b1-5345-dee1.jpg

bcde92b1-5353-62eb.jpg

4) next was the fire. He wanted to use my fire steel so I allowed him to use my axe to cut some dry wood we had and he wanted to use tissue paper as tinder.

bcde92b1-540c-1c52.jpg

bcde92b1-5418-e4b5.jpg

Then he put the tinder in the centre and took the fire steel to start trying to light the fire

bcde92b1-5464-5945.jpg

And the result

bcde92b1-547f-22fb.jpg

Then once he had it going we left it to see if it would boil. It started to rain and it really dampened down his fire but he did manage to get the tiny air bubbles to form in it which meant he was getting it to boiling.

bcde92b1-54cd-f0e4.jpg

5) as for his shelter I will post what he made when we went out camping about a month or so ago. He made a simple lean to under some guidance and here it is.

bcde92b1-55bf-d673.jpg

bcde92b1-55da-35f9.jpg

bcde92b1-55ef-c7e2.jpg

bcde92b1-560e-9773.jpg

I would like to add that he has really enjoyed doing this and having to use some of the things I have taught him to achieve these goals.

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
Hi there
First can I say a big well done to josh for his entry, that tops mine easily :)

And a question, can I update my entry to include the sections that I didn't manage to do first time around, I am currently staying I'm wales and have more access to woodland ??
Is that allowed??

Thanks in advance
Ben

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Just wanted to add a further note for josh.

We went to check on the shelter he built and it is still standing after almost a month and a half!

bcde92b1-e49b-9486.jpg

bcde92b1-e4a7-07e9.jpg

He had convince himself that it wast going to be standing. Needless to say he was over the moon.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Do you think this could be opened for another week or so. I didnt see this and would really like to enter. Im 15. I think this would be a great exerciser and would love to enter.
Thanks
Jacob

I think this is a brilliant idea!!!

Well done to you 2 who took part and brilliant efforts.

Its a shame I didn't see it earlier, my 11 year old would have loved to give it a go but time is against us now.

Hopefully, we can organise another, possibly regular comp for under 16's.

Andy

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Competition is closed. I need to get on my laptop to check the entrys and then will post the result ASAP.thanks for taking the time to apply.

T.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Hi All,

Just a note to say i asked my wife to pick the winner and she said the entries were great but she picked Josh as the winner.

Thanks for entering guys.

Will drop Dannytsg a pm now.

Cheers

T.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE