Looking for a YouTube series previously post on here

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
A YouTuber did a series of fire starting challenges by jumping into cold water and trying to get a fire started with various fire starters. He was Scandanvian I think?

@TeeDee believe you posted it, but cannot find the magic search terms to find the post.

Reactions: TeeDee

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Unfortunately not.

It was a playlist of videos, using different methods. One was using an exotac nano spark. Also allowed himself a bit of pine board IIRC?

I was looking for it for an author doing research asking about fire starting after full water immersion. By the way it was asked, could tell they didn't realize how difficult it could be. Like if the water was cold, your hands would loose fine motor control making fire lighting much more difficult.

Last edited:

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Unfortunately not.

It was a playlist of videos, using different methods. One was using an exotac nano spark. Also allowed himself a bit of pine board IIRC?

It was looking for it for an author doing research asking about fire starting after full water immersion. By the way it was asked, could tell they didn't realize how difficult it could be. Like if the water was cold, your hands would loose fine motor control making fire lighting much more difficult.

Edit: It is a good video though.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm not familiar with the Jack London book & story that inspired this guy ( Kudos to his efforts and stress testing however ) but does anyone know if in the book the Jack London Character tries lighting the fire with a sheet of paper or actually uses a different tinder source??

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I subscribed to his channel a while back because he was using fire starting options that I’d never even heard of. I’m not particularly well versed in the modern art of fire lighting and need to learn more. My fire lighting affectation of choice is a tinderbox, flint and steel. How well they would work if I’d dunked them in water and had no dry tinder is another matter. Because of this I do carry a back up of char cloth tinder (really easy tinder) in an airgun pellet tin which is sealed with electrical tape.
I suppose it’s easy to get stuck in a habit of just using what works for you and not exploring the multitude of other options. Some rubber bands or strips of inner tube can also make a great emergency addition to damp kindling.

Last edited:

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I'm not familiar with the Jack London book & story that inspired this guy ( Kudos to his efforts and stress testing however ) but does anyone know if in the book the Jack London Character tries lighting the fire with a sheet of paper or actually uses a different tinder source??
I think there were two versions of the short story “To light a fire” I don’t remember a sheet of paper in either. When I read it back in the scouts many years ago the story was more moralistic, about arrogance and ignorance verses preparation and perseverance.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I think there were two versions of the short story “To light a fire” I don’t remember a sheet of paper in either. When I read it back in the scouts many years ago the story was more moralistic, about arrogance and ignorance verses preparation and perseverance.
Modern paper is actually not easy to light I've found.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I’ve used soft paper from kitchen towels or unused toilet paper as a medium to get an ember to a flame (instead of dry grass etc) but a lot of printed paper products don’t seem to light very well and give off disproportionate amounts of foul smelling smoke.

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE