Silicon-lined stove jacks for sewing into tents - query

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I recently acquired a Kifaru 4-man tipi and medium stove on here. I'm considering installing a stove-jack into a new Vango Peace 800 tipi (the poly-cotton one, so ideal for a stove) so I can use the kifaru stove for when I want to hold a barn-dance inside in the winter:) (no, I'm not actually into barn-dances, but you get my drift...)

Anyway, I've seen that most of the stove-jacks for sale have an inner silicone heat-shield. However, two things give me pause for concern. First of all, I have tended to use a silicone mat when using an alcohol stove in my tent to protect the ground-sheet - after taking all due safety precautions re ventilation etc. However, when I used it at the last meet to protect the ground when burning my wild-stove gasifier wood-stove, it burnt right through it (admittedly after several hours full-burn). Secondly, the stainless-steel kifaru is a pack-down stove with lightweight rollable SS chimney, and is renowned for getting very hot indeed.

So, would the silicone stove jack be able to survive those temperatures, or would it melt like my silicone mat - which would not be a good thing for the tent material!

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I believe the silcon mats, normally used for domestic use, have a lower melting point than the flashing silicon used for a stove jack.

I could be very wrong about it though, so please double check!!

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I have the silicone flashing for the Frontier stove in my lavuu and I have no concerns with it melting..

Treadlightly is selling one for £20 just now!

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92590

Edit: think its gone now... :(

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I have the silicone flashing for the Frontier stove in my lavuu and I have no concerns with it melting..

Treadlightly is selling one for £20 just now!

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92590

Edit: think its gone now... :(

I think the problem is that the Kifaru pipe is very thin SS rolled up. Stoves like the Frontier normally have a much thicker chimney which doesn't tend to get so hot. Looking at some of the kifaru videos on youtube it appears that the pipe shoots flames out of the top of the pipe on full bore! Ah well, maybe I'll just have to suck it and see:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE