Show your favourite

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Shamed into carving my own nuts:
IMG_20150103_185934_edit_edit_zps4d0af8f1.jpg

K

That photo infers that you carved them with the Mark I. :You_Rock_

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
Only one! Damn... ok ill go for my favourite spoon, because I got the wood from a old almond tree in Spain, and it's such a pain to carve. It splinters and blunts your knife, but after all that and some sandpaper and oil, it turned out so much better than I expected.

P.s. I'm happy with third place so far, the bar is truly set high.

Almond wood splintering!?! and a pain to carve? huh... I've done some stuff in almond (twisty, turny grain 'round the knots) but I found it easy to work with! no splintering at all! That's the heartwood right, being that colour? Carving Carob wood is what I've found splinters horribly... and it's a bland wood compared to almond...

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
Almond wood splintering!?! and a pain to carve? huh... I've done some stuff in almond (twisty, turny grain 'round the knots) but I found it easy to work with! no splintering at all! That's the heartwood right, being that colour? Carving Carob wood is what I've found splinters horribly... and it's a bland wood compared to almond...
It was well seasoned when I carved it, which may have attributed to the difficulty. I'm glad you had a better time with it than I did.
I can't wait to have another go at carving it later on in the year when I can get some more.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
It was well seasoned when I carved it, which may have attributed to the difficulty. I'm glad you had a better time with it than I did.
I can't wait to have another go at carving it later on in the year when I can get some more.

I can't really think of anything more seasoned than standing wood that's been dead for yonks ;)
it's hard and probably blunts my knifes faster than other woods, but I've always found it easy to work with...small shavings, but no splinters. When I split it, now I come to think of it, it does go splintery, but never from the knife-cuts. Green almond would be wonderful, but it splits easily when drying, I've found

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That was really difficult, but I think that for me the answer is this bowl that I turned from a grotty bit of monkey puzzle. It is one of my earliest turning efforts, and was just a practice piece because of the splits in the wood, so I wasn't too concerned about leaving tool marks on it. Then my wife fell in love with it on sight, and I nearly exploded with pride. It does duty as a small fruitbowl in work with her now.

9232044885_1b356e38f5_b.jpg

My favourite so far is, incredibly, something I managed to keep for myself as normally everything I make ends up being given away as presents.
2c73ed95578f481bf9cf88d36e17ee2d.jpg

This is a rucksack made from an old canvas scout tent and a leather sofa. It's double lined inside with canvas and ripstop tent and the leather straps are padded with underlay from the local carpet shop then I added leather axe loops and pockets inside and out.
It's been on a few camping trips now and holds everything from a base camp kelly kettle to hammocks. If anyone wants one let me know!
9996fa47523e0884e4cf98557bd78be2.jpg

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Great stuff, everyone. Don't be shy, I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting to see more!
Some superb work here...:You_Rock_

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Two socks, what is that wood???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is cherry, londonscrub.
I realize this answer is rather late, but I only saw the question today going through the thread again.

Any more people with a favourite to post? I have been enjoying the diversity of this thread!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE