Show your favourite

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
You have all produced some lovely pieces.
This belt is not my most accomplished or aesthetically pleasing piece by any means, but it's probably my favourite. It was an early leather project, and the first time I took on such an extensive carving. I really enjoyed the hours I spent crafting this.
But, it is also my favourite since I wore it and another of my belt pouches while filming for 'Vikings' season 3. It was great fun and the wardrobe people were very impressed with my work. When I look at it now I'm reminded of a fun few weeks in my life where I got to be a viking for days at a time and hang out in a beautiful part of my country with nice people.

This small rucksack is a close second. I took the time to do everything by hand and ensure I had a pack that was built to last a long time, and it's serving me well.
It is also something I use very regularly :)

Unfortunately I havn't been able to work leather for months since I damaged the tendons in my hands and wrists. It's frustrating, and I can't wait until I can get back to it.

Last edited:

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
I make knives normally or things out of metal, wood and so on, but right now these are my favs:
DSC_0111_zpsovurqu6g.jpg

Nothing fancy at all, but ever so cosy....

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
My Favourite is my Ferro rod which i posted here a few months ago, but here my latest...Paracord Bracelet with Shackle. Going to try my hand at making one with at least 24 feet of Paracord..More Broad than thick.
Snapshot_20150108_3_zpsb658c28f.jpg

ps, that mess behind me is Leather i was making stuff from and various other crap. need to tidy up, it just seems to sneak up on ye. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Leather carving is done with a series of hand tools. A swivel knife is used to cut lines into wet leather and a series of shading and beveling 'chisel' type tools are they used to create patterns and portray shade, depth, etc. As a natural material, leather will have different qualities depending on the hide, the part of the hide, how it's been tanned and treated. Doing things by hand allows you to understand and account for these things as you carve and stamp.

Funnily enough, it is exactly these type of unique images machines cannot do. Machines might laser etch leather, or large plates can stamp a standard image on numerous pieces of leather. One off carvings still need to be done by hand. It's one of the main reasons I like doing it so much. There are a good few people on here doing it now :)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I think it would be this cup and spoon i made some time back, i use the cup every day, coffee or whisky, depending on the time of day :)

36B9C013-D8EC-4415-86F0-AB483DE63108_zpsjwp6dlub.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hmmm - since the rain yesterday I have changed my mind....
002 (2015_01_01 06_41_25 UTC).jpg
Waxed cotton smock based on a 1960s SAS smock .. unlined but very waterproof!
It works well over my previous choice of the wool shirt!

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Some truly talented people, and I am useless at art so I am quite envious at the skill on display.

Hibron.
Is that all carved leather, or are there other methods employed?

Edit.

Just seen earlier post

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE