Shemagh Wearing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I've worn mine like that once late on a winter night i'd forgotten my hat, it worked a treat, they also serve many other purposes:

triangle bandage,
padding,
hot pot holder,
standard scarf,
can be used as a sarong(tropical skirt)
baby blanket,
shawl,
baby carrier,
towel,
sweat rag,
dust mask,
improvised: sock, glove.

it's not prehaps ideal to be wearing the scarf, full covered arabian style in public in the present political atmousphere :shock: :roll:

they are cotton too, so will dye according to your colour preferance.

and cheap, you can buy them in "newage/ hippy" :hurra: shops for around £5! :biggthump

well worth investing in, so long as you figure out how to use it! :wink:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Stuart,

I tried wearing mine like that but I found it wasn't big enough.
I bought mine from the local army surplus, it's the green and black one.

Do shemaghs come in different sizes or have I just got a big head? :yikes:

Cheers

Mark

leon-1

Buckshot said:
Stuart,

I tried wearing mine like that but I found it wasn't big enough.
I bought mine from the local army surplus, it's the green and black one.

Do shemaghs come in different sizes or have I just got a big head? :yikes:

Cheers

Mark

Shemaghs come in different sizes, I got one of mine in Kuwait and was measured up for it :).

You'll find that all the green ones appear to be one standard size though, you may be better off getting an issue desert one (they are a bit larger) and trying to dye it. The desert ones are quite thin but still work in the UK very well.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Stuart said:
there are litrally hundreds of ways of wearing a shemagh (as well as hundreds of uses for them)

my favourate (and very adaptable way) of wearing them is as illistrated in the link below:

www.khs-pro.de/tacticalsource/shemag/cheque_anleitung.html

if you can get one with as tight a weave as possible

Thanks, Stu.

The pictures are clear enough, without the German text.

But what approximate size and shape are those Tuareg sheks?

Keith.

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
HEHE! My old geology teacher used to work in Oman and bought a shemagh back with him. He always took it on field trips, which was great especially the looks he'd get from passing locals :eek:): then the locals gaze would usually fall on a load of really hungover 18yearolds :roll:

Happy days! :wink:

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
One of the original pink variety, as in the German illustrations, will also do a fair job of filtering water.
There is however some reason, and I can't remember what, why they stopped issuing them and went to the chunkier olive/black variety. Not that it matters I suppose.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
translated text :wink:

Traditional Tuareg headgear . As used by french army desert units . The light material provides sun protection and also a degree of cooling for the head.

1 Lay the cloth out lenghtwise then place over your head so that the short end comes down over your chest and the head is covered

2 Take the long end under your chin and over the short end

3 Twist the long end and pass it from behind your head around across your forehead

4 Keep the twisted end going round your head towards the back again

5 Tuck the loose end under the "crown" you just made

6 Done !

7 Simply pull the part under the chin up over your mouth and nose to protect yourself from dust

HTH
Tant

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
well, following one of our superb logos, i'm going to BCUK the trend....

i was going to say, throw the shemagh in the bin and get a cheche...

the bit of headgear shown in that german link is a cheche, (pronounced shesh) they're about six feet long and much more wearable than a shemagh. on top of all the uses previously mentioned, you can have a much more enjoyable siesta, soak the cheche in water and drap it over you. keeps you cool in the heat of the day and very importantly keep the flies off. :super:

cheers, and.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Keith_Beef said:
Thanks, Stu.

The pictures are clear enough, without the German text.

But what approximate size and shape are those Tuareg sheks?

Keith.

Ah, a bit of research, and I've answered my own question:
vEC0202.jpg

Doursoux surplus in Paris describes them as being 1 metre × 2.40 metres

Called a "cheiche", on the site, Doursoux wants EUR15 for them, in black, white or sand.

http://www.doursoux.com/popup.php?id_prod=323&

Keith.

leon-1

Keith_Beef said:
Ah, a bit of research, and I've answered my own question:
vEC0202.jpg

Doursoux surplus in Paris describes them as being 1 metre × 2.40 metres

Called a "cheiche", on the site, Doursoux wants EUR15 for them, in black, white or sand.

http://www.doursoux.com/popup.php?id_prod=323&

Keith.

0ff the top of my head (no pun intended) thats about a tenner, not bad, most of the shemaghs that I have come across are square, but this sounds a good alternative, good hit :biggthump

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
The box tells you what the required password is (mm) ... it is a primative form of protection from bandwidth being used up by people linking to images.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE