Shemagh Wearing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
oetzi said:
One could cover face and head against those police-photographers anmd waterthrowers. :)

Yeah, if you try that these days they tend to declare S45 (I think) of the Terrorism Act and arrest you for covering your face.

They're still darn good against the midges though. :)

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
oetzi said:
I used to wear one of these when I was younger and on a large numnber of demonstrations. One could cover face and head against those police-photographers anmd waterthrowers. :)
Nowadays its a fashion-article, those unpolitical and consume-happy younbgster dont even know what it means. :(

....whilst some understand it to be a traditonal middle eastern headress used to keep the blistering sun and sand at bay...rather than a anarchic political symbol

:BlueTeamE

:240:

Roy's Badger

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2005
Kernow
For the 'square shemaghs:

1. Fold material diagonally, so it is a triangle in shape.
2. Put on head, longest side across your forehead, with other point down your back.
3. The locals secure theirs with a purpose made 'ring'- elastic works just as well.
4. Et voila! You can now tuck one of the points up into the loop/elastic on the opposite side of your head, wrapping it around your face. Then wrap the other point around your shoulders, covering your neck.

I have used shemaghs several times in the desert, and they are very effective at keeping your head cool, much better than a hat. Learn from the locals...

It is also possible to wear it without the loop:

1. Tie a knot in one end.
2. Put knot in centre of forehead, with all other material over your bonce.
3. Twist the material at the back of your head a couple of times, make sure it's tight.
4. Wrap the remaining material round your neck, face and tuck it into the main material on top of your head, on the opposite side to where it came over your shoulder.

Ok, but you don't get the advantage of the 2-layer/air gap that the first method provides. Looks cool, mind... :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE