sharpest and worlds strongest knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
sharpest and worlds strongest knife money can buy, this is what a program i was watching yesterday said, the knife is made of ceramic, and is stronger than any steel known to man, and never really need to be sharpened, sound fantastic, just wondered whether any of you guys own such a tool, and what are your thoughts on it, i found a bit with the knife on you tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzNxD9fEHwA&feature=related
would like your thoughts guys.

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I saw a programme showing them a while back, a japanese guy was making them. they actually add metal in the cermain mix but only so they can't be smuggled past metal detectors at airports.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Ceramic knives can chip as well, sometimes badly. A few years ago a giy I know spent £200 on one & was giving all the spiel about how it was the best knife ever etc... Then he cut up a coke can the second time out & the nose fell off, where the ceramic had chipped off. If you want something really strong for hard work (if you have not found out what an axes is...) then go for some kind of heavy military knife. They are big, stong & cheap. Ceramics are expensive, as far as I know.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
hi luckylee was wondering if you can tell me how you get the links i.e the utube link & what you do to save it & paste it onto like forums ? thanks
open another page to this one, say you tube, then at the top of your computer screen you will see http//www. whateverpage you are on, then righ click on that, copy that link and then paste it into the reply to thread box, that how i do it mate, but i bet there is a better way, there are more computer wizzkids on here than me mate.
hope that helps.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
so they are SH..... then lads, just wondered what your thoughts were on them, as i had not heard or saw nothing like this before.
you have answered what i already thought was going to be the case.
cheer's
new it was to good to be true.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
did anyone else wince when that guy ran the blade against that slice in his thumbnail! i'm sure a piece of paper would suffice lol

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I'll stick with steel, it's not very manly walking about with a pretty white blade & what if you dropped it on a hard surface, wouldn't it shatter ? I think their place is in the kitchen, if anywhere.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I could well be wrong but I think Aldi or Netto had ceramic kitchen knives a few months back for a real decent price. I didn't bother with one but wish I had now just out of curiosity...

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
They are fantastic knifes if you are a chef but they have no flex you can't use them for filleting. They chop veg etc well but would be no good for bushcraft also you have to have a legit reason to have one as they can count as stealth knifes

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
by stronger the mean "Harder" which becomes brittleness, ceramic knives have their place in the professionals kitchen, but no place in bushcraft, as they would most likley break under any impact. id far rather stick to my tried and tested tool steel.

Luckylee, as a couple of responses have indicated, ceramic knives are intended for kitchen use. Their RC hardness is in the 75-76 range IIRC, so they hold an edge superbly for chopping vegetables and so forth. But they are far too brittle for outdoor use - the early ones could shatter if dropped on the floor. Newer examples are tougher, but one baton strike would pretty much put paid to any of them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE