Seeking people/groups in Bristol to help a 70 year old get back into bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 19, 2022
Bristol
Hi all,

I have joined as have been helping with the Marmalade Trust (a Bristol based charity that helps lonely people) and speaking weekly to a 70 year gentleman who used to do a lot of bushcraft. He is ex military and despite some mobility issues is keen to help out if he can. He would love to attend a group to pass on his experience (or just be around) and tells me his dream is to once more have a night under the stars! So, I am after advice and contacts for local groups/people in Bristol who may be able to help him.

He's a lovely bloke who has been hard hit by the isolation of Covid lockdown and has lost a lot of his confidence. With luck, meeting people with a shared interest will really help him.

Thanks

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello @Monchy, and welcome to BcUK.

I don't live in the area and can't really help that way, but if you can find some way to get him internet access, a way for him to join the conversations, here and on Facebook, then it might make things easier for him. At least he'd find like minded stuff to read, conversations to add his tuppence ha'penny worth to, seasonal inspiration, and contacts beyond his present isolation :)

M

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
May 19, 2022
Bristol
Hello @Monchy, and welcome to BcUK.

I don't live in the area and can't really help that way, but if you can find some way to get him internet access, a way for him to join the conversations, here and on Facebook, then it might make things easier for him. At least he'd find like minded stuff to read, conversations to add his tuppence ha'penny worth to, seasonal inspiration, and contacts beyond his present isolation :)

M
Thanks for this. Unfortunately he is very poor with IT which severely limits any interaction he can have. It would make such a difference to his life if he was able to use a computer. And, of course, almost everything is online or on an app now which further limits his isolation.
All best

May 19, 2022
Bristol
I would suggest giving the Ex-Bootie who owns and runs Hidden Valley Bushcraft a call. - Seems a really nice approachable guy and I'm sure would accommodate another ex-servicemans request.

Lovely stuff, thanks so much for this. Really appreciated.

Reactions: TeeDee

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Slightly off the Bushcraft theme but is there a "Mens shed " in your area ?? would open a door to male companionship and I'm sure has some elements of craft / bush craft /self-reliance /preparedness .....

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
That sounds fun.

Its a shame he doesnt use IT; there are so many isolated folk these days, the Internet wold make such a difference to them

May 19, 2022
Bristol
Slightly off the Bushcraft theme but is there a "Mens shed " in your area ?? would open a door to male companionship and I'm sure has some elements of craft / bush craft /self-reliance /preparedness .....

Thanks for this - it's a great suggestion. I'll make some enquiries. Cheers

May 19, 2022
Bristol
That sounds fun.

Its a shame he doesnt use IT; there are so many isolated folk these days, the Internet wold make such a difference to them
I agree, I have to tell him how to Google things! There is so much help out there that he cannot access (at present). I'll also suggest he has some Age UK computer training.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE