Scottish Meet Up!! - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bowsayer

Jul 17, 2005
Motherwell
Like Toddy said, I'm going to be at Bannockburn but I'd like to come on the Friday afternoon if we manage to get organised. Varibo has told me lots about you guys, I'd like to meet you all. I've already met Doc and Sandbender and everyone else sound like they're just as nice as them. :)

Toddy, make sure you pack the anti-histamines, fish galore by the sound of it!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fancy meeting you here :) :p
Uhuh :rolleyes: Think I'll be cooking seperately all the same.
Mind and take your bracer, they're *really* into the archery :D I've got another knife to try out too...Bark River, really nice. Eric had an excellent idea about how to hang the parachute too.

Be well,
M

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Bumblebee said:
Is it OK to arrive around 8PM Friday evening? I'd like to drive there directly after work.

No problem. I would expect to be there before then. Nearer the time we will need to arange for everyone to have my mobile number. At 6pm the gate of the forest drive is locked. I will have a key though and can let you in the out gate (got that:rolleyes: ). This gate is much nearer to the camp site and as it is after the closing time the one way system will not be in effect.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
MagiKelly said:
Nearer the time we will need to arange for everyone to have my mobile number

May be a silly question John.

But have you checked to see if mobile phones work on all networks in the Forest ???? but then it does not look too far to walk in :eek:

I'm still thinking about it :)

I presume if you arrive before 6 you have to go the long scenic route??

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
bothyman said:
May be a silly question John.

But have you checked to see if mobile phones work on all networks in the Forest ???? but then it does not look too far to walk in :eek:

I'm still thinking about it :)

I presume if you arrive before 6 you have to go the long scenic route??

I have not checked all networks but I am, with O2 and it was okay and Stuart was using Vodaphone okay.

Yes before 6pm and after 10am it is the scenic route. Actually if I remember correctly walking in from the out entrance would not be that bad. Not for a real bushcrafter :p

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Was asking around, putting the feelers out for feathers. Didn't have much luck on that front but did get a couple of deer haunches at no charge. Thought they might be good for a group meal if the site has a pit(and someone knows what what to do with them - I don't eat a great deal of meat and have certainly never cooked anything that big).
Anyhow, picked them up and they're in the freezer if we want to use them.

Oh, and I hustled a roll of barrier tape from work to mark off a range(and safety zone behind it).

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
As always, I leave this place alone for a few days and everything happens at once! :D

Not sure yet if I can make that weekend (start of University term, and doing IT support here, so its usually chaotic that week),

However, if I can come, then I will come, although as a non-driver I'd need to cadge a lift from someone from somewhere (either Edinburgh or Stirling would be fine...)

Will post again when I know whats what...

mammy_nun

Aug 7, 2005
Gourock, Scotland
Hello everybody,

I've just joined, looks great. It's good to know there are so many like minded people not so far away. Looking forward to gettin more involved. If I can manage I'll try to get along to your meet if thats ok? I've just started gettin in to this stuff. Hoping to learn some new skills. Do you guys meet often?

Cheers

mammy_nun

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
match said:
As always, I leave this place alone for a few days and everything happens at once! :D

Not sure yet if I can make that weekend (start of University term, and doing IT support here, so its usually chaotic that week),

However, if I can come, then I will come, although as a non-driver I'd need to cadge a lift from someone from somewhere (either Edinburgh or Stirling would be fine...)

Don't know if this is much use to you but my car will be full going to Bannockburn but empty returning to the Moot sometime on Saturday afternoon. I can take you to Stirling on the way home on the Monday too. pm if I can help.
Cheers,
Toddy

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
match said:

I'm hoping to borrow a car for the meet, so if I get one I'll let you know

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Thanks JohnC and Toddy - may well take one of you up on that offer!

How we all laughed when people were still calling the last one a 'mini-meet' - but now look at the number of bushcrafters wanting to come! :D

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I'm away tomorrow (friday) to run the longbow course in the Lake District. It'll be on Sat and Sun in the woodland belonging to the Cumbria Grand Hotel in Grange over Sands. While I'm there I'll be buying a dozen or so spoon carving knives (Erik Frost) and a couple of GB axes. These will be to sell on to people on my courses and I'll bring what I have to the meet in case any of you want one. I'll possibly have some nice yew as well as I am buying a van load from someone this weekend.

Before the meet I'm also going back to LePrevo leathers to see if they have any more thong cutters. I managed to get two last visit and they reckon they'll have more in soon.

Eric

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Your a busy boy Eric, have a good one :) . I know you'll be back before reading this but was the course for making them or using them?

Just flicked through the piccies of the last gathering. Looked like a gas. It's amazing how many skills are covered when you get a few folk with varied interests together.

Popped in to say that I'll be going friday evening to sunday evening and will have a spare seat. I'll be passing Stirling at about half five if anyone needs picked up. It'll be a leasurly drive with so much stuff in the car and the chance of suspension failure will be...well, greater than zero. .....but everyone here sound like adventurous types so I though I'd offer anyway. :D

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Well, I'm back from the bow making course. I bought a load of long straight coppiced yew from one of the coppice merchants and everyone on the course went home with a yew bow. They also got a bowyer's bench to take home which I had them make at the start of the course. They floor tillered the bows and need to tiller them properly with a proper bow string on at home as we didn't have time to do the whole tillering process, but everyone loved it and I've been booked again for next year. I've told them I'm doing it in 15th century costume with period tools.

I also managed to buy some nice tool steel from the blacksmith and will make a couple of woodlore copy knives when I get a minute. I know we're focusing on bow making at the next meet, but there's no reason we can't look at knifesmithing at the one after that.

So, I'll be bringing yew enough for maybe a dozen bows along if anyone wants to make one. There were a few people on other courses at the weekend wanted to know if I was running other bow courses so I told them about the Scottish Meet. I told them about this forum and to come here and register if they fancy coming along, so if you suddenly see an influx of new members from the Lake District area, it's down to me.

I also picked up three new GB axes and a load of pole lathe chisels (Isles). I'll bring them along and if anyone wants to buy them, they can try them out first.

I've been promised photos of the weekend and if they arrive in my inbox I'll stick them on here for you to see just how cool it was. Everyone loved my hoochie and hammock setup as well. It was the first time I'd used it and I slept like a baby. One thing though, after a few pints of Guinness I found that you can't pee by leaning over the side of a hammock!

Eric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been promised photos of the weekend and if they arrive in my inbox I'll stick them on here for you to see just how cool it was. Everyone loved my hoochie and hammock setup as well. It was the first time I'd used it and I slept like a baby. One thing though, after a few pints of Guinness I found that you can't pee by leaning over the side of a hammock!

Eric[/QUOTE]

Knew you'd have fun :) glad the weekend went so well.
See, women don't come with that handy wee hose attachment, :p so we just have to get out of bed, and I don't fancy trying to get out of, and back into, a hammock in the dark.
Looks like bushcrafting gives "garde de l'eau" a whole new scenario :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE