Scottish Meet Up!! - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
I'm up for any dates, excepting 26 August. As my wife is due our third child on the 21 September I cannot commit to any firm dates. If all is well on the decided date I will try and make it, the site is not that far from me so I can even come up for the day and bring the family..... maybe.

Cheers

JFW

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
20/21st August: bit soon, maybe folk on holiday?
27/28th August JFW unavailable, I'm unavailable - Bowmore Horse trials
3/4 Sept Magikelly unavailable
10/11 Sept Ross unavailable - Leuchars air show and he wants to be Red arrow pilot......but otherwise possible.
17-18th Sept Possible. With luck will be before Mrs JFWs happy event.
24-25 Sept Possible though prob less good for JFW.
1-2 October Tree in the Park. Toddy and I unavailable ( a good day out this one)
8-9 October Possible but I might be away.
15-16 October Think I'm away
22-23 October Possible. Getting a bit cooler.
29-30 October Possible.

I wonder if 17th-18th September would be the best option? Any views? As Eric says, the sooner we fix a date, the easier it is for folk to keep it free.

I did also wonder if it would be possible to fix TWO weekends- October is a good time to be in the woods.

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
I've got a couple of weekends free in September. The suggested 17/18 suits me.
I like the October idea too.
I'm looking at doing Dave Watson's O level bushcraft course end of Sept. Would you recommend it?
See you soon.
George :)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
17/18th suits me too. i'm working the weekend before (leuchars air show) and i'll be in birmingham the weekend after so it's perfect for me. i'm also free pretty much all of october.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
17 - 18th Sept is fine for me too. I can manage from the Friday (16th) for travel and setup until the Monday (19th). I also have three clear weeks with no bookings in October.

Eric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh Excellent.
17th / 18th September is fine for me too, and apart from the very start of October I can free up my diary for the rest of the month.....and if it's cool enough...Nae midgies :D

Cheers,
Toddy

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
17th and 18th is okay for me. Stuart is unavailable for all the weekends in September but that should not effect us getting the site. He is free in October if we are having a follow up meet.

By my count for the 17th / 18th we would have

Me and wains
Toddy
Eric possably grandchildren
Doc with Ross and maybe more
Graham S
Big Geordie
JFW maybe with wains depending if wife is pushing or not.

Sounds like enough to start with. I will contact Stuart about making the booking with us arriving on the Friday and with the option of some staying till Monday if they wish.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
It's not very easy to get there purely by public transport. It's maybe two miles (uphill!) from Aberfoyle. Nearest train station is probably Stirling.

Pickups from Stirling station should be possible. Or is anyone coming up from Tant's area?

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Sept 17th/18th it is then. Just a few other things:

Will there be any canoeing?

Last meet it was mentioned about having a 'theme' to the next meet - eg concentrating on a particular thing like shelters, or firecraft, or cordage. Do we want to do this? I'm sure there will be plenty of general bushcraft going on even if we do have a theme.

Achray is a big site, and Loch Drunkie is a bit away from the campsite. Some of you might have PMR 446 'walkie-talkies' - these are pretty cheap (as low as fifteen quid a pair) and readily available. Regardless of brand, they can all intercommunicate as they use the same eight frequencies. If anyone has them it might be worth bringing them along so we can stay in touch. I know it's good to keep technology out of the woods but when not actually in use they are silent.

Looks like we'll have plenty of kids along, so hopefully this will help justify the use of the 'youth' camp. I'll probably have my two eldest, Ross and Andrew with me. Lock up your firesteels now.

Does the campsite have drinking water available?

If we are doing archery again (it was very popular last time) we will need to give some thought to constructing a safe range. Do we need to check if ok with the FC?

Cooking arrangements? Eric's communal curry was a big success last time. I guess the facilities will be a bit more primitive this time.

As before I will bring a group first aid kit and, if archery is allowed, the big archery target.

Looking ahead, would it be worth picking an October weekend as a provisional date for the next one after this (subject to site availability, etc) - the last two weekends in October seemed feasible. I wondered about 29th/30th October (close to the Samhain festival in the celtic calendar).

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Can't commit to the 17/18 of sept but if I can I'll be there. Would love to do something in october. Mmmm, shelter building - this is something I can do.
Will watch this thread with keen eyes.

Cheers

JFW

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Doc is right about the public transport being pants. Tant if you let us know what days you are wanting to travel on (eg up on Friday back Monday etc) Then I am sure something can be arranged about collecting from a train station or the like. I can certainly take you if the times etc tie in and we can meet somewhere. Although with it being during the school time I will need to head home on the Sunday if I have my daughters with me, so they can get to school on Monday. This may be a consideration for a few people.

I will have my canoe and we are right on the shore of Loch Achray so basic instruction can be given. I have two childrens and three adult PFDs so enough to share with other canoes also I have four adult paddles and two childrens. Sandbender should have his canoe by then and there may be others.

Regarding exploring the rest of the forest drive I have to point out that there is a one way system for cars. The youth camp is situated near the end of the drive. The drive is about 7.5 miles long and the speed limit is 10 miles an hour so realistically if you want to go to another part of the forest drive in a car you are looking at almost an hour of car travel, even if it is just 5 minutes down the road. Not really an issue if you want to go to another Loch for a longish canoe trip but a factor of you just want to nick down the road for a bit of fire wood. However, that said this one way system is only alicable up till 6pm when the forest drive is shut. After then we have the road to ourselves, pretty much.

Facilaties are going to be more basic than at Sandbenders. I do not think there is water but will check with Stuart. Toilets are up to us to supply or dig and food / cooking is also our sole domian.

Regarding what to do I would suggest that anyone that has skills etc that they are willing to share then post them here and we can see what options we have. For my part, as I have said, I am willing to do some basic instruction in using an open canoe.

It may also be useful to say what we would want to see. For my part I would like to see some spoon carving with basic knife and spoon knife as it is an area I enjoy. Firelighting from friction I can't see enough of. Also given the number of younger children we could really do with a project to keep them interested.

As a reminder here is a map of the area. Sorry it is a little big but I am at work and can't resize it from here.. The site we are talking about is the youth camp at the top (circled)

Oh and regarding communication the site generally gets pretty good mobile phone coverage. That applies to pretty much all of the forest drive.

meetoptionsdetail.jpg

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Now we're getting somewhere. I can offer the following skills areas:

Spoon carving,
Wood turning,
Sheath making,
Debris shelter building (if sufficient materials available) otherwise,
Make and mend shelter building.

If we are having an bow making theme I can bring staves and arrow blanks, fletchings and field points, and all the gubbins that goes with them.

If we go with the archery theme I'll leave the pole lathe at home but still bring the spoon carving bits'n'bobs.

I'll probably let someone else handle the communal meals this time as well so I can focus on more bushcrafty things.

Edit: How about a small orienteering course for the kids? Teach them basic navigation and map and compass skills.

Eric

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Sounds good Eric.

I still need to work out cordage making. Is Sepember a good time for harvesting nettles for this?

We will be (just) still within the trout fishing season. I'm not sure about the permit situation for Loch Achray but will make enquiries - there is also Lochs Drunkie and Roach. I will bring tackle for spinning and fly. Trolling might be possible from canoe. If we get lucky it would be interesting to try smoking fish. It is normally done with oak chips in an enclosed container like a dustbin but I have no practical experience.

I'd quite like to get a bit more archery done. It would be good to try and get everyone who wants to up to a useful level of 'hunting accuracy' - say every arrow in 6-8 inches at 15 yards. The target archers with sights, clickers etc would find this ridiculously easy but shooting instinctively with primitive equipment is not so straightforward.

Regarding themes: I think we should definitely have canoeing as a good part of this meet: reason - we will have water and canoes available and it seems logical to try and learn in September with the milder conditions and longer days, instead of leaving it to the winter.

Similarly, this is our last chance for trout fishing until April and it takes very little time to pick up the basic techniques.

Compared to the last meet it will be dark earlier and perhaps spoon carving would fit in well as an evening activity.

May be some fungi around if anyone knows anything about it.

I wonder if shelter building would be better for October/November? - more debris, worse weather, and JFW more likely to be available.

Of course, last time we had a very comprehensive packed weekend with loads of variety, and we didn't really plan it - it just sort of happened!

I am sure there will be loads of general bushcraft going on anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE