Scottish Meet Up!! - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
This forum has breathed alot of fresh air into my interest of bushcraft, but it would be better to meet up with like minded people. All the meets that happen, I find are far too south for me to attend - not differcult when you live near inverness.

I have acumulated a few suppliers for skins, wood etc and am looking at getting some permission in a local wood, but in the mean time, is there any members who live in this area who would like to meet up. My background is army, hiking around the world (or some of it) worked a while with in a survival school and love nothing better then a challenge to mind and soul (i.e the canoe thing).

With the limited time I have (damn work!!!) I tend now to specialize in flat bows, arrows, quivers, braiding, rawhide, skiving off work and a bit of photography.

any takers out there?

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
hi troy, your along way from me but there was a scottish meet up sometime before christmas.. get on to Magikelly he was involved IIRC

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Yep - I mised out on the earlier Scottish one, but there was talk of another one to follow when the weather was a bit nicer. It'd probabyl be somewhere in the central belt again, but thats a few hours rather than a few days on the train from Inverness ;)

Maybe its time to start a Central Scottish Meetup thread?

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
There is alot more then I thought, five within a hours drive from me. Hopfully some will respond to this thread, but by the looks of it a central belt meet would be agreat idea, there seems to be quite alot down there.

does any body there know of some where, where we could hold such an event?

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I have a friend who works with the Forestry Commission and I have been talking with him about a place for a meet up. He is looking into a request they recieved from a survival school, thinking along the lines that the area they are interested in is likely to be a good spot for a meet up. i will chase him up about this.

It is kind of short notice but tomorrow I will be going to the BASC Game fair at Cardross Estate near Port of Mentieth. If anyone is going let me know.

And Troy I am another with an interest in photography but relatively new to it. Your shots look great, if we meet up you can give me some tips. Oh and as well as looking at the members map to see who is close don' t forget to add yourself so others know you are in the area if they are having events.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
John,

was intending going to the game fair, but I have to go to an engagement party instead. Couldn't wriggle out of it unfortunately. Enjoy yourself, I was there last year and it was a good event.

I have some books of yours that I will be returning to you shortly - thanks for the loan.

Cheers

JFW

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
JFW said:
John,

was intending going to the game fair, but I have to go to an engagement party instead. Couldn't wriggle out of it unfortunately. Enjoy yourself, I was there last year and it was a good event.

I have some books of yours that I will be returning to you shortly - thanks for the loan.

Cheers

JFW

Ive never been before. Only the Scone Palace one. I presume this is a much smaller affair.

No rush on the books, hope you enjyed them.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm interested too. It's probable that I may be able to get permission for a site in Perthshire.....might need to wait until the tourist season is just about over though or you may have to do the 'public' talk things for a little while during the weekend.
Would Lanarkshire be an acceptable choice later in the year? One of the countryside rangers I work for has said that there's camping at an event in early October and he's friendly with several bushcrafters.

Cheers,
Toddy

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
I missed the meet up at the turn of the year,due to work/family commitments,however I am still keen (need plenty of notice though if It were up in Troys neck of the woods) .Perthshire sounds good -nice and central for most.Like Tody, I,m in South Lanarkshire (aka the Buckfast Triangle) Backwoods Survival use woods here I think ,maybe that could be an option re a site.Enjoyed your photies ,Troy.

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
Perthshire sound good to me, be nice to go some where different. That and the fact that most woods up here seem to be prodominatly birch or pine, it would be good to see others.

I suppose the next step is for a location to be confirmed ? then the word is passed around.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought Perthshire would be sort of central for all of us. I'll find out at the end of the month whether the owners are amenable or not. Meanwhile, any other ideas are welcome :)

Cheers,
Toddy

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i'm up for a meet. perthshire or lanarkshire are both good for me. i'll be in belgium untill the end of june though so i would prefer to meet when i get back.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
troy said:
This forum has breathed alot of fresh air into my interest of bushcraft, but it would be better to meet up with like minded people. All the meets that happen, I find are far too south for me to attend - not difficult when you live near Inverness.
any takers out there?

Troy.
I know what you mean I am 60 miles North of Inverness
160 miles north of Perth.???????????
I always find it strange how people think that the North of Scotland is anything North of Perth??
To me the North of Scotland is anything North of Inverness??
The Northern Highlands??????????
Maybe interested if there is something up this way.
Just thought I better add to the thread as you will have seen from the map where I live.

MickT

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hi Bothyman,
Ooops sorry, but it's 200 miles for me to Moray, 170 to Inverness and 70 to Perthshire...I was trying to find something that was central for all of us. If you've got a site and dates why not let us know, and folk'll see if they can make it?

Cheers,
Toddy

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
Hi Guys and Dolls

any news on the wood front - I have been trying up here, but some times it seems as if land owners are not interested unless you 've doing something with horses. The only other option is to do a wild camp style meet in the mountains, there are plenty of forestry commission pine plantations and/or bothies off the beaten track - what do you all think.

I must be honest, I'm getting a bit jealous of all these different meets going on down south, especially where bows are mentioned but I expect I'll get over it with time and councelling!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got a site and permission to use it......but ......they're hoping that at some point we can come up with either volunteer labour or make appropriate Iron Age stuff they can use. Good people though, and interested in traditional handcrafts and 'bushcraft' skills. The site is available all year but it's in Perthshire and as Bothyman said it's a distance for some folks to travel.
I don't know how many people the site can accomodate, but there is a 'very' basic shower/toilet, tap water and loch frontage. Timber is available and fires are permitted. There's also a lot of forest, shore and hill to be explored round about.
I'm going up for a visit on the 21st, hopefully I'll have a look around then. Anybody want to come and do a recce?

Cheers,
Toddy

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
troy said:
Depending on if my family want to/ can come to the meet, I could offer bothyman a lift from inverness as long as he did not mind sharing the car with a few long sticks and smelly skins.

Many thanks for the offer Troy, wouldn't mind going. :rolleyes:

Where is it.?? :confused:

Thats if I can find a lift to Inverness as I don't really fancy leaving the Cabriolet in Inverness for a couple of nights as its not the securest vehicle to leave on its own overnight in the big city. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE