Scottish Meet Up!! - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Great stuff Eric - the more of your curry the better!

A few points to add.

We are a youth camp - Ross and Vhairi are youths! And I have two other sons available at need, and John from Edinburgh has a son Ross's age...

Trout fishing season ends around October 6th: pros and cons as if we go after that we won't have to worry about other fisherman, but neither will there be any fish. Might be worth asking Stuart if fishing is fly only or 'any legal lure'. Either way I have the tackle.

Kinlochard is a little more off the beaten track and likely to be a bit quieter. Loch Ard is very beautiful - I have walked the southern shore up to Rob Roys cave. I don't know where the 'killing fields' or Harry Laurie's bothy are. Grid refs would be useful.

The relevant OS map is Explorer 365 - this one is worth having if you live anywhere vaguely near the Trossachs as it is prime recreational area.

I'll await other comments/thoughts.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Last reply before I go to bed then leave for London.

I was thinking the same as Doc about the "youth camp". As well as those mentioned by Doc there are my two daughters and I believe |Eric was wanting to bring a Grandchild as well.

Of course the other two sites could be better anyway so I have asked Stuart for more info and maps if possable.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Fine on all that. If there are alternative possible sites around Kinlochard we should await details from Stuart- looking at the map they potentially could be quieter/ more remote.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Hi James, welcome to BCUK. Of course you can come. You'll be made very welcome. Just keep reading the threads to keep up with how things are panning out and ask any questions as and when they arise. You can PM me as well if you want and I'll help where I can.

Eric

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
That's right. You would be most welcome James. The last meet was a great success and the next one is in the very early stages of planning.

Eric- thanks for your teaching on leatherworking. I've been wanting a firesteel loop on my Wilkinson knife sheath and had been planning to get a saddler to do it. I've now done it myself and it looks and works great.

Looks like general opinion is for the youth camp, unless the Kinlochard sites are better. Hopefully Magikelly will be able to get a bit more detail from Stuart about theses shortly.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Couple of thigns from the meetup...

Sandblender is posting me a DVD with all the pics on it from the weekend - I'll begin processing these for the website and they should start to appear some time around the beginning of next week.

There were a few bits of kit that people had that we were all interested in - Eric, those leather strip cutters for example, or other bits of leather kit.

Is there any chance we could organise some kind of group buy for these things? Was there anything else people saw that they wanted to get hold of?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
match said:
Couple of thigns from the meetup...

Sandblender is posting me a DVD with all the pics on it from the weekend - I'll begin processing these for the website and they should start to appear some time around the beginning of next week.

There were a few bits of kit that people had that we were all interested in - Eric, those leather strip cutters for example, or other bits of leather kit.

Is there any chance we could organise some kind of group buy for these things? Was there anything else people saw that they wanted to get hold of?

That's a good idea :)
I'd like one of the stripcutters & I can supply linen thread, fabrics and fibres if necessary.
Cheers,
Toddy

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
OK then, who wants a leather strip cutter. I'll get prices and postage costs tomorrow and post the info tomorrow evening. I'll also get costs for spare blades as you only get one with it and they get dull quite fast if you are making loads of thong.

While I had a fair bit of leather offcuts to make thongs with, for those of you who don't have easy access to thinnish leather, consider charity shops and all those old, out of style leather coats and jackets that never seem to get bought. Cut one of them up and you'll be in leather thongs for ages.

Let me know if you want one, either here or by PM. (Toddy, you're already on the list).

Eric

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
Eric - would like the info on the spare blades, can't see them lasting long with the rawhide (will get the bow photos up eventually, but not today) - have only just found out how to post picys and are only allowed five per post.

Toddy - would like another of those spinning things and I don't suppose you can explain how to ply the strings again (getting into alsorts of knots here - well I am a guy!). Better still is there a website/book that explains it with pictures (its a guy thing again).

Cheers
Paul

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:) Hi Troy,
Funny enough I was just thinking about you; I've (finally) emptied the blue bag of fibres and came across the bag of long line silk that I'd meant to leave with you. I'll get hold of another drop spindle and I'll write out a diagram for the 'Navajo plying' technique and get the lot into the post this weekend.
Cheers,
Toddy

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
All,
is there any more news on the dates? I was planning to go on holiday to Portugal but with another meetup occuring soon it looks like I'll have to divert...the agony of choice eh! It just looks too good to miss.

BTW Studying the map I couldnt pin-point the area it was in. What distance is it from Edinburgh (E,W,N,S)?

Regards,
Ryan

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
To save getting loads of different threads on the same topic, I'm merging this with the your original thread. Any probs or if there is a reason for a new one then please PM me,

Matt

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Right threads are merged, if it was just a case of the original thread getting too long, I can trim some of the first pages off if you like, just let me know.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I'll probably be away from the 'net for a week or so starting tomorrow. Off to Wales and plan to walk up Yr Wydffa. I should be free most weekends in August/September/October so don't mind when the meet is.

How're you getting on with the new bow, Graham? If you'd like a copy of 'Traditional Bowhunter' magazine just PM me your address.

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Hi everybody. What a great forum especially this thread which has taken ages to read.
I've also recently joined so I would love to come and meet and do some learning.
I live on Jura and trips off the island are an adventure wherever they end up so I dont have any venue opinion.
I do have some red deer antler which I could bring if anyone is interested.
Look forward to sharing some malt with you too!
George :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE