Scottish Meet Up!! - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
A couple of photographs while Sandblender sorts through the rest.

meet1.jpg

From the top left we have Eric_Methven, MagiKelly, Sandblender, Match, Doc, John_C and Troy along the back, In the middle row we have Graham_S, then in the front row Vhairi, Ross (I am a firestarter), Toddy, JFW and on the far right Stuart (who we all love dearly if he gets us access to a good site)

Now of course we all brought some cutlery with us.

meet2.jpg

Just in case anyone was wondering why public sites are worried about us.

But seriousley there was so much to do that generally the site was a hive of industry.

meet3.jpg

Roll on the next meet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I can only add my thanks to everyone who made this last weekend possible. I've learned so much, I'm home with both head and rucsac packed with good things, and both Vhairi and I had such fun, even if we did discover an unknown real need for just another knife! :rolleyes:
Sandbender was an excellent, and generous, host; Eric and his amazing pantechnicon was just incredible; Match was unstinting in his knowledge and assistance (he's sooo well named :) ); Troy's workmanship was stunning and his leatherwork is fascinating; Doc and his archery and the unforgetable suturing lesson; JFW knowledgeable and patient....with a knife I covet, and who turned a bodhran into music , Graham S's stories and his (stop drooling V! car), John C, quiet & calm and he picked up techniques so quickly, Ross, "Put the knife away, and no that won't burn......well okay....... well, y'know, I didn't think it would."; Magikelly who added to his reputation by successfully bamboozling us all with fireside magic, wonderful; Stuart who I suspect is going to surprise us all; Vhairi who quietly soaked it all in and learned even more skills.
Show and tell was amazing; bushman survival kits/ firestarting/ woodwork/ netting/leatherwork/ cordage techniques/ knife advice / bivvis, bashas, hammocks, and tipis :) /and the stories were amazing :)
Thank you everyone, here's to the next time.

Cheers,
Toddy

MagiKelly

morch said:
Sounds like you all had a fantastic time :) must make sure i can make the next one. How did the tipi fare MagiKelly?

The Tipi was great. Fairly cool with the vents open and planty of room to sit and chat, sleep or cook. It did not take long to set up or take down and I was very pleased with it. The only two issues at all with it are its weight and the large footprint of fairly level ground you need. For my planned use neither of these is a problem.

Oh and the morning light coming through the canvas is just the best way to wake up.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Toddy said:
Graham S's stories
"pull up a sand bag and i'll tell ye a war story............"
did i go on a bit? whoops.

big thanks has to go to toddy (so who is this ray mears bloke?) for all the cordage/tinder she handed out and for showing us how to braid by "fingerwalking".

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I'm typing this on a laptop from my new hammock. Nowhere else to live as Ross burnt the house down last night while demonstrating his new skills.

No, only joking.

As our American friends say, it was a blast. Words don't do it justice. I haven't had so much fun since my OTC days. And it's all thanks to you guys.

Let's do it again......

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
cheers sandbender it was a great venue - every body was fantastic.

Todays sort of like the calm after the storm and I,m walking around not really knowing what to do first. The combined knowledge and experiance of every body was astounding, and if one of these meets could last a week or so, we may just cover every thing and perhaps exhaust even eric! (pyshically that is, it would take a year or more to exchaust his knowledge).

So thanks to every body for your for trying out my bows, for the supplies, but mostly for your company.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Wow!

What a fantastic weekend - thanks to everyone who was there and made it so special - I don;t think I spent more than 5 minutes not watching something interesting, learning new skills, teaching people new things and enjoying myself. Looking forward to the next one!

As for pictures of the event - I've created an upload page where people can push pictures to - I'll sort these out and put them up in a browseable gallery as they arrive. So if you've got pictures/videos you want put online, PM me and I'll give you the URL to upload them. I'm also starting to write a full tutorial on bow-drill fire-lighting, which I'll illustrate with the pictures everyone took!

*goes off to buy even more kit to fill up his tiny flat with...*

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Graham_S said:
"pull up a sand bag and i'll tell ye a war story............"
did i go on a bit? whoops.

big thanks has to go to toddy (so who is this ray mears bloke?) for all the cordage/tinder she handed out and for showing us how to braid by "fingerwalking".

:eek: Well, I don't watch tv......and I loved the stories, they were hilarious, it was the range that was so notable; are you sure you haven't got one of those pictures hidden in the attic somewhere? ;)
Hmmm, fingerwalking; you're on candid camera! :p

Cheers,
Toddy

Jul 17, 2005
motherwell
hey
its vhairi from the meet i've just joined under orders from mary, not that I needed much convincing.
I had a brilliant time and everybody was fantastic. I learned so much and thanks eric for the shoes, shears and amazing educational service you offered (among others) so modestly.
Soooo want to come to the next meet it was so much fun even the major first ever sunburn and ant bite (damn those things) didnt bother me.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
A wonderful weekend with some of the most decent and generous people you could imagine, who all made someone new to BCUK feel welcome.
And what a range of knowledge and skills!! There was not a moment when something wasn't being taught, explained, demonstrated or chatted about. Even on the trip home there was wildflower ID'ing and uses.
Thanks again sandbender for being such a great host and to all who made it such a good weekend.

MagiKelly

Hi All

I have had an email from Stuart Chalmers and here are some options for the next meet up. Both are on the Three Lochs Forest Drive. The one at the toilets may not have as much flat land for tent pitching but has the advantage of toilets. It is also open to the public during the day. The one at the Youth Camp Site we could have to ourselves. Ther would be a small charge but it is very small. At this site we would have to make out own toilet arrangements. Fires would be allowed at both sites and we can canoe in the Lochs as well.

Obviousley the best thing is to have a look at the sites either individually or as a group. I am sure I will be going with Stuart to have a look but have not agreed a time yet (not for the next week that is for sure)

Here are a couple of maps. Too big to display so you will have to follow the links. The first gives the general location.

http://www.magikelly.co.uk/meetoptionswide.jpg

And this one a more detailed look

http://www.magikelly.co.uk/meetoptionsdetail.jpg

And here is a link to the Forestry Commission site about the area

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/ourwoods.nsf/LUWebDocsByKey/ScotlandStirlingQueenElizabethForestParkAchrayForestDukesPass3LochsForestDrive

So thoughts?

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Many thanks to John and Stuart for taking this forward so quickly. I'm already getting withdrawal symptoms and so is Ross......(put that firesteel down, son....)

I have driven the Achray forest about 3 times before and it is an excellent location - a big forest with big trees. In the summer it is very popular with tourists - there is a FC visitor centre just north of Aberfoyle and it is often heaving. There are usually plenty of cars on the Forest drive at weekends. If I recall correctly there is a small play area, car park and a toilet block at the first location, and not much level ground. It can be quite midgey.

Others should visit but preferably at a weekend as that gives a better indication of how busy it is. It would be a perfectly feasible venue but we would probably find we attract attention from other forest users. At best this just means we would educate and interest people in bushcraft, but there could be problems (security of kit, police being called 'he's got an axe, constable', folk walking in front of the archery target, etc)

I can't picture the Youth campsite site in my head so I'll have to go and have another look. If it is a bit more private that might make it better, even if no loos.

I think there is trout fishing by permit on Loch Drunkie - though my book says the fishing 'can be dour'...I guess that means the author drew a blank there....

At the end of the day though it is a brilliant location - despite being very much a managed forest it is big and has a wild 'feel'.

Would be happy to go along for a recce but I am away on holiday on Saturday for about 10 days, so not available for the next 2 weeks.

I have a 1;25000 explorer map of the Trossachs available - this is worth having.

Also wondering re a date - is late August/early September too soon? For me, the sooner the better.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh nice one Stuart and John! :)
Lovely bit of the world with ideal resources around us to be active in.
Personally, all things being equal, I think I'd rather have to make our own toilet provision and have a good measure of peace and quiet, than make an *exhibition* of ourselves. I'll happily go with the majority decision though.
I have no issues with paying a fee for the use of the site.
Cheers,
Toddy

MagiKelly

Hi folks

I am about to leave for 5 days in London so must be brief. Below is an email fromStuart Chalmers. I have told him to register and comment directly but like most people the chances of him listening to me are slim :rolleyes:

John,
You got the locations right.

To keep the finances right, the following are the charges:
- Access to Forest Drive - £2 per vehicle. This is an honesty system.
- Cost of Youth campsite - 20 pence per person per night (yes that is cheap)
- Fishing Permits are £5 per rod per day

I've just been speaking to the recreation manager there are two problems with the Youth Campsite. One is that in general we prefer it to be used by youths - but this is not a major issue. The site is also frequently used by fishermen which may make the site less peaceful.

The recreation Manager was suggesting the Harry Laurie Bothy or a site called the 'Killing Fields' at Kinlochard as good possibles. We can scope it out some weekend.
Discuss and I will be back to you all on Monday or sooner if I have internet access in London

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
This is sounding very good. I see two destinct possibilities here though.

One, if we go for the more public location we will not be able to hide from, nor ignore the public. Therefore if we choose this option we really ought to be thinking about deliberately making it a public demonstration event - because that is what it will become whether we want it to or not. By taking this path we will be able to plan it with kit security in mind and have a definite programme to follow, and have roped off areas for the archery - complete with stewards to maintain security and health and safety. We will also need to address the issue of public liability insurance. That could get expensive for no financial return.

Two, we go to somewhere without toilets and just do our own thing. If anybody gatecrashes, we tell them they are welcome but remind them that it is a private gathering and they are there as guests. That way there's no pre-expectations or insurance issues to worry about.

I vote for the youth camp area. I don't mind digging a thunder pit and I can do another nice hot curry so it just slides out without too much squeezing.

Late September would be good for me but I'll try and go with the flow.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE