Scottish Meet Up!! - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Doc said:
Very good Eric. It is surprising how interested kids are in Bushcraft activities.

I may be bringing Vhairi, Trisha's daughter, with me; quiet, calm, wicked sense of humour, and learning bushcraft/traditional handcraft skills as fast as we can teach them to her :D Since she is used to re-enactors and their camps I'm sure she'll cope with bushcrafters....besides we bought her a Frost's mora and a firesteel last month, and she hasn't really had a chance to work with them properly (lives in Motherwell!) yet.
Cheers,
Toddy (sunburnt/scorched/and getting paranoid about blistering impetigo :eek: :( , tell me again why I thought working with kids would be a* good* idea??)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Graham_S said:
funny, i thought there was plenty of scope in motherwell for using a knife and starting fires...........:p

Well, yes :) ...but, trust me, she's 14, blonde, v. clever, curvy & pretty.....she doesn't need a reputation for starting fires too :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Well, van's all packed up, I'm ready and raring to go and it's only six o'clock on Thursday evening. I got a load of veggies with little orange stickers on at Sainsburys today for the pottage. I also got a couple of packets of TVP to maybe make a Nepalese curry to go with the pottage. Everything else is good with the world (well, my little world at least.) Even the wife is happy for me to go. She inherits my daughter's dog and hamster for two weeks while they are in foreign climes, so she'll have company of the kind that doesn't answer back. Catch you all up there.

Eric

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i'll pack later. i'm going to go to the supermarket on the way tomorrow.
i'll probably pick up cous-cous, bulgar wheat and some veggies. possibly some other stuff as well. i love foraging in tescos ;)

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
I so wish i had been able to make it :( not that i'm jealous of you all, none of you :rolleyes: I hope you all have a great time. Don't forget the pics and reviews. Enjoy it :)

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I have most of my stuff looked out even though I am not leaving till Saturday (stupid wedding anniversary). I haev two bags of stuff to give away, don't get excited though.

I have got loads of choices of how to sleep. Varrie Tipi, nylon Tipi, Basha & Bivi and a Hennessy. but for all that I can see it being a late night and an early start.. Really looking forward to it. Just remember to not do too much interesting stuff before I arrive.

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
hiya folks .I have not been posting due to logging on problems,and been to busy with other things.I cant make this weekend due to family/work commitments,however I plan to make the September one all things being equal
Have a great time and remember -theres no such thing as a bad single malt.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Thanks ronsos, reminds me to pack the digital camera. I guess you will be with us in spirit :D if not in person.

Can't help feeling I'm taking an awful lot of 'stuff', especially as I'm getting increasingly into lightweight backpacking. As I have the car I'm taking the 4 season tent (bigger, more comfy) though I doubt I'll need the snow vallances...

See you all Friday/Saturday - and a big thanks to Sandbender for being the host with the most.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Doc,

you are not alone, I have packed all my usual kit into my sack and I also decided to bring pretty much all of my bushy kit, just incase anyone wants to see it/try out.

See you all there.

Cheers

JFW

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Sits impatiently by phone/front door waiting for Eric to arrive :D

Managed to somehow get everything into my 40l rucksack, barring my kelly kettle, cooking pot, and a big bag of tinder.

Hope the axe strapped to the side doesn't look too conspicuous!

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I'd just like to say on behalf of all of us who attended this weekend

:D :D thanks Sandbender!!! :D :D

your lawn may never recover :p

a brilliant weekend, the weather was fantastic. as was the site.
there was plenty to do with archery, leather work, weaving, firelighting and much more.
can't wait for the next one.

special mention has to go to Docs' son Ross for firelighting.
never before has such persistance been seen in the art.
us; "Ross, green bracken won't light from a spark"
Ross; "well it might........" *spark* *spark*

at his tender age he has a bright future in firecraft.

MagiKelly

As Andrew said the meeting was a great success. Much as the venue and facilites were excellent it was the people that made the event. Everyone was very generous with their time and knowledge.

My personal goals for the meet were to made fire from friction and from a traditional flint and steel. I managed both with the help of those there but that turned out to be only a small part of the weekend. As you will know I missed the first night (stupid wedding anniversary) but still I made fire from friction tried archery, learnt how to suture wounds, turn wood, work leather and much more. Plus there was the comparing kit and comparing how we each made ourselves comfortable in the outdoors.

All in all a fantastic weekend and I only hope the next one is soon.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
What a great weekend.

I met some very friendly and knowledgeable people who were only too keen to share that knowledge. The weather was great, the people were fantastic and a special thanks must go to Match for all the time and effort that he put in to make sure everyone had a go at making fire.
Eric I recon that you probably pulled over just before the border to have a blast on that Bodhran, enjoy.
Thank you Sandbender for hosting this great event.
Off on holiday now catch you all later.

Cheers

JFW

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
That was the best weekend I've spent in many a year. Many thanks to all who made it possible. I stopped in the layby on the Scotland/England border for a breather and got out the bodrahn. I was standing at the back of the van tapping away happily then realised about ten people had gathered round to listen. It sounded crap to me but they clapped when I stopped. Good job I caught the sun so's they couldn't see me blush!

I'm looking forward to seeing the photographs, but I'm going to bed right now as I'm pooped.

Thanks again all,

Eric

MagiKelly

Eric_Methven said:
I'm looking forward to seeing the photographs, but I'm going to bed right now as I'm pooped.

It has to be said Eric was outstanding at the Meet. He did not stop. He was constantly demonstrating, helping or cooking. Added to this he gave a lift to a couple of the others. I was sensible to not even try to keep up with his pace. He was a sight to behold. People from the Meet left with shoes he had made, slapers (for archery), tinder pouches, sheaths and lots more.

We were all equals at the meet. Eric was just a little more equal than some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE