Scottish airports closed due to Icelandic volcano's ash plume

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
As an Air Traffic Controller, it's been a very very quiet day for me today.

No IFR clearances are being given, (So no aircraft flying using their instruments as a primary means of navigation, :- along the airways / inside controlled airspace) are able to fly.

VFR clearances are being given, so planes which navigate using roads, railway lines etc. can go provided that the pilot / operator has carried out a safety assessment.

TBH I can see this lasting a while...........

And yes, jet engined a/c are most at risk of the engines stopping due to the ash, but that's not to say that a nice dose of dust / ash / glass will work miracles on a piston engine. You're looking at a clogged air filter at best, and bore / piston / valve wear / engine failure at worst.

I think it is "Commercial" aircraft that have been grounded, stuff that is likely to be at the heights where the bulk of the dust is going to be, also it appears to be jet engined aircraft as well.

Up this way all offshore helicopters were cancelled yesterday and sounds like it today, I havent seen nor heard a single one.
I would imagine the island hoppers would be fine.

I wouldnt be surprised at all if this lasted quite a while.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I think you're not too far from me, I work at Dyce, live just outside Alford.

Last night the heli companies said it was doubtful if they'd fly until the ash had passed, due to the risks of damage to the engines etc.

Gonnd be mental once they do start going though.

I think you're not too far from me, I work at Dyce, live just outside Alford.

Last night the heli companies said it was doubtful if they'd fly until the ash had passed, due to the risks of damage to the engines etc.

Gonnd be mental once they do start going though.

Cool, basically next door neighbours here well at work, I live north of Inverurie heading towards Huntly almost. I guess you will likely be working in the oil industry as well?

I would have thought the choppers would have been fine to fly but obviously after the past few incidents I can see where they are coming from.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE