Savoury.. Oats.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That might be good. I'm really struggling with dairy again, I don't digest it well, and I've been using toasted sesame seed oil in my skirlie, but it definitely adds it's own taste. Nice but I might give the coconut oil a go.

Reactions: Poacherman

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
That might be good. I'm really struggling with dairy again, I don't digest it well, and I've been using toasted sesame seed oil in my skirlie, but it definitely adds it's own taste. Nice but I might give the coconut oil a go.
Seed oils give me heart pains I usually use animal fat or coconut oil I really like coconut oil for skirlie I'm assuming pinhead oatmeal? My father's long passed so carn T ask him.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Seed oils give me heart pains I usually use animal fat or coconut oil I really like coconut oil for skirlie I'm assuming pinhead oatmeal? My father's long passed so carn T ask him.
I like pinhead, though the supermarkets are pushing the Irish steel cut oats...I think those are too hard.

Pinhead you can leave soaking overnight and just bring up to the boil the next morning and they're ready as porridge. The others need twenty minutes plopping away before they're cooked. Life's too short to spend twenty minutes with a spurtle when I don't need to.

Pinhead cooks well in skirlie too I find, and it's good in stuffing, makes good oatcakes and coats fish well too :)

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
I like pinhead, though the supermarkets are pushing the Irish steel cut oats...I think those are too hard.

Pinhead you can leave soaking overnight and just bring up to the boil the next morning and they're ready as porridge. The others need twenty minutes plopping away before they're cooked. Life's too short to spend twenty minutes with a spurtle when I don't need to.

Pinhead cooks well in skirlie too I find, and it's good in stuffing, makes good oatcakes and coats fish well too :)
So pinhead for skirlie tried with others a think was steel cut? and it was no good.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Steel cut are just the hard groats chopped. The pinhead meal is lightly ground, well it should be.
Buy something that says Scottish or English oatmeal on it, and that ought to be it.

Reactions: Poacherman

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE