Best Homemade dehydrated meals.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Looking for suggestions for the best Homemade dehydrated meals you've concocted.

Savoury and Sweet - lets hear what you suggest and why and for extra points lets see some photos please.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
2C small shell pasta in one bag. 1/2C 3-cheese grated blend in another with one generous handful of dried Roma tomatoes (kind of leathery texture). 4 oz bottle of good olive oil. Old pill bottle of Italian Mixed Herbs.

Cook pasta 8 minutes and drain. Stir in a big squirt of oil, the cheese and the dried tomatoes. Maybe a tsp Italian mixed Herbs won't hurt. In my kitchen, I have been known to add a fine sliced bratwurst.

LtDansLegs

Aug 16, 2023
Lancashire
If anyone has any recommendations for recipes for dehydrated expedition meals, any and all would be greatly appreciated. Only just seen a video seeing that it was possible, not something id ever considered but I imagine way cheaper than off the shelf MREs.
Many thanks
LTDansLegs

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Well i can say i am addict to the idahoan mash as most know i have health issues meanign food struggles to go in so i do a full bowl of this with some instants gravy and omg well i love that , if i went on an experdition i would pack a fair few packets of it in the flavours they do and some herbs ot go with it , the other thing i have found gret and better than a pot noodle is i get a knorr stock cube low salt and i pop it in a mug with some extra herbs and then i put in a packet of mama rice flat noodles and these are so nice after 5 mins i just pop the lid on the l;arge plastic mug i got of temu , it can go i nthe micro and so i just throw the boiling water in the bowl/mug then the cube stir then the noodles and pop the sealed lid on and wait yum yum .
I am a big fan of the bwfo dried vegs to now as i can take a small handfull out the bag and pop in a jam jar fill it up with boiling water let it soak then drai nit throw in with other meal yum , their product does taste of real veg to not that fake taste.

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
Well i can say i am addict to the idahoan mash as most know i have health issues meanign food struggles to go in so i do a full bowl of this with some instants gravy and omg well i love that , if i went on an experdition i would pack a fair few packets of it in the flavours they do and some herbs ot go with it , the other thing i have found gret and better than a pot noodle is i get a knorr stock cube low salt and i pop it in a mug with some extra herbs and then i put in a packet of mama rice flat noodles and these are so nice after 5 mins i just pop the lid on the l;arge plastic mug i got of temu , it can go i nthe micro and so i just throw the boiling water in the bowl/mug then the cube stir then the noodles and pop the sealed lid on and wait yum yum .
I am a big fan of the bwfo dried vegs to now as i can take a small handfull out the bag and pop in a jam jar fill it up with boiling water let it soak then drai nit throw in with other meal yum , their product does taste of real veg to not that fake taste.
Where do you get the dried veg from? I had a Google but couldn't find it

Sent from underground

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
HI sorry yes as Sara said i got the recommendation from here , i love there dry mixed veg i will say i do get my dry leek elsewhere as the leek from them was so mashed it was more power .

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
@SaraR we are looking at their other stuff , it is just working out the water the meal ratio , i filled a domio jar with 1 cup of veg and then boiling water after around 20 mins it was good to go but i am also working out if we add in pasta or something to make it a meal pouch how much water , i know when we make it up in a pan we can add but we like to get our buckets ready as preppers a term i am not so keen on but i call us prepare people , as you have seen on the news they are calling the people in Oz preppers and laberling us all mad hide in a hole people , when realy all we want is to be ready , but regarding the bushcrafting i like that when the wife and i do get to go out or days away we like to be able to go to the car and have stuff , same for our grab bags and our first aid bags .

What other stuff do you use of BWFO i have used their split peas i like them nice flavour and the mixed veg also the carrot .

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
@SaraR we are looking at their other stuff , it is just working out the water the meal ratio , i filled a domio jar with 1 cup of veg and then boiling water after around 20 mins it was good to go but i am also working out if we add in pasta or something to make it a meal pouch how much water , i know when we make it up in a pan we can add but we like to get our buckets ready as preppers a term i am not so keen on but i call us prepare people , as you have seen on the news they are calling the people in Oz preppers and laberling us all mad hide in a hole people , when realy all we want is to be ready , but regarding the bushcrafting i like that when the wife and i do get to go out or days away we like to be able to go to the car and have stuff , same for our grab bags and our first aid bags .

What other stuff do you use of BWFO i have used their split peas i like them nice flavour and the mixed veg also the carrot .
I mainly get pulses, lentils, rice, flour, dried fruit and baking powder and the like from them. Also herbs and spices as they are much cheaper and available in bulk. But I’ve also bought stuff for making herbal tea and that’s been good too. I think the only thing that wasn’t cheaper than elsewhere was their muesli, so it’s worth checking the prices first.

With rehydrating food, try just/barely covering the dried food with hot water, that’s usually round about the right amount. Then adjust to the right consistency afterwards if needed.

Reactions: Disabled Preppers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I buy their dried apricots, mangos and raisins. I buy nuts and seeds from them too.

The other places that I buy dried foods from are,

Hodmedod for UK grown peas, beans, grains, flours, etc.,

RealfoodSource have an excellent range. Very happy with everything I've bought from them.

Chilli Wizards for herbs, spices, seasonings, etc.,

I also buy seasoning mixtures from Tongmaster, who sell sausage casings too.

and forest whole foods too for a variety of stuff from dried fruit to nuts.

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
@TeeDee sorry to hijack the thread a bit but great to know where others are getting their stuff it gives your more ideas of what to put together , i am looking at making more dried meals mainly for the purpose if the wife has her way and we get a new camper i can put together some dry meals that we can just throw boiling water on let soak and at the worst have to warm i na pan or that we can just munch straight out of the bowls , i will say i got some great plastic microwave bowls off temy they are largish and take a fair bit to fill them so will be great for soaking food in and not lettng the water out there is a steam vent if you do wish to warm it ia bit in the micro ,i am looking at other ways but mylar bags are ok if you are on a long hike but i like the idea of the plastic bowl/noodle pot , i can do a main meal or soup or breakfast in it wash out and use again , also i am trying to weigh out portion sizes in to vacuum seal bags but again wondering if i could use ziploc so they can be reused , we do try and make the first bag in the vacuum over size so that if we cut close to the seal we can then get a second go out of the bags .

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just a quick note to anyone buying in dried veg, do consider talking to a local feed mill. Things like dried corn, peas, barley etc. are abot 60p a kilo from ours. We use them for all manner of things including formulating our own poultry feeds.

Howsam's mill

Reactions: SaraR and TeeDee

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Looking for suggestions for the best Homemade dehydrated meals you've concocted.

Savoury and Sweet - lets hear what you suggest and why and for extra points lets see some photos please.
This is Not homemade but high calorie and v lightweight ,smash wheatabix into flour put in a large seal bag just add hot water and some peanut butter for instant porridge while outdoors.

just_john

Mar 22, 2012
South Wales
Interesting...
Is that just a low temperature long time job then?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
2/3 hours on 90 degrees depending how thickly it's cut.

Silver side from the butchers, cut the fat off and slice.

Raid the cupboard for a random mix of soy/teryaki/Worcester sauce with pepper, chilli, garlic powder (whatever random stuff i decide to add) stick it and beef all in a sandwich bag, mix thoroughly and leave in the fridge over night.

Next day put it in a sieve and get the most of the sauce off, pat dryish with kitchen towel.

Chuck it in the air fryer for a few hours. Always turns out pretty decent, only issue is it doesn't last very long before i eat it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE