Savoury.. Oats.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Looking for any savoury oat type recipes if people have them ?

Savoury oat pancakes?

Savoury Oat Flapjack?

ideas please,

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I make skirlie.
It's, I think, the British equivalent of the American's 'grits'.

It's basically just a bit of oil or fat of some kind, a finely chopped up onion or foraged oniony thing, a bit of salt and some oatmeal.

It's savoury, it's tasty, it's filling and it's nutritious. It's long lasting in you kind of food. Working hard kind of food.

Take whatever fat you have, doesn't matter whether it's bacon fat or stuff from the Sunday roast, or olive oil or butter, and melt a couple of tablespoonsful in a pan.....if you're using the pan after a fry up that's fine, just don't leave too much fat in it.
Peel and chop up the onion and fry it gently until it's just turning golden. Shake over salt, maybe pepper, up to yourself, and then add a good handful of oatmeal. Not rolled oats, not the fluffy stuff in sachets, but oatmeal.
Stir that over a middling kind of heat until it starts to colour, smells wonderful :) and is cooked. It doesn't take very long. It ought to be a sort of loose crumbly mix. It's usually served as a side dish, but I quite happily make it for my lunch, have it with some broccoli or kale or cabbage.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Grits are a southern dish. Your nearest version would be Italian polenta. The corn/maize varieties
Are different. They are usually stone ground and yellow vs white preferred by traditionalists. You can make cheesy grits, and the ultimate shrimp and grits. A red corn version from Arizona is interesting.
Back to oats? I have a Scottish neighbor, makes haggis. I join them for a cuppa tea and haggis mornings.
Oat milk is a new item ( and expensive) I’ve been playing with it making Irish Soda Bread for vegans.

Reactions: TeeDee

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I do like polenta, but corn is a very recent addition to the agriculture here. It's had a lot of work done to make it grow in our climate. Polenta is solid stuff though, skirlie is loose.
Oats however, and barley and rye, those are the 'corn' of these islands :)

Oat milk is easy to make, you just do the same as you would with ground almonds.
It's just water beaten through oat flour and then strained.

Most folks nowadays don't have oat flour though, so they use rolled oats and water and a blender. One cup of oats to four of water, whizz it up and strain it.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I like Oats for many reasons - cheap , bulking , healthy, able to go sweet or savoury but we don't see too much in the way of savoury.

Would be good to rebalance that and have some savoury go to recipes to mess around with and experiment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Take the contents of a tub of cottage cheese, put it into a clean cloth of some kind. I keep a new gents hankie to do this, it's all it's used for, straining cheese, it's kept beside the dumpling cloot :) and twist and squeeze as much liquid out of the curds as you can. This is the point to season the cheese. Ground black pepper, salt, chilli, paprika, whatever you prefer. Mix it well.
Take teaspoonsful of the now crumbled curds and roll them into a wee ball. Roll that ball in oatmeal. Repeat until you've used up all the curds. They need to be put into something covered and left someplace cold for two or three days.
The cheese ripens, the oats swell and go kind of nutty and chewy and all in all rather a good munchy :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I was thinking of making Turkish Cilbir but by adding in the Oats to the Yoghurt and leaving it to absorb and swell before serving the rest.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I use oats as an extra crunchy topping on a fruit crumble, just sprinkle a handful on top of the traditional made crumble and I've also added some chopped hazel nuts along with them in season.
Also i sometimes when I get fresh mackerel, I roll them in oats before pan frying.

Reactions: Nice65

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Savoury flapjack I was thinking the following would be a nice combo - Sharp cheddar mature cheese cubes , lardons , small dehydrated apple cubes , maybe some al dente pumpkin

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you have rolled oats (those are really pre-cooked; they are steamed and flattened ) and you sieve them, then you get oat flour. The oat flour makes a batter that you can add all those into, add an egg and some milk, and then just make like pancakes. Quick and easy.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Toddy,
This girl in a anthropology class was convinced ‘corn’ grew in Europe pre Colombian. No amount of explaining the old world term ‘Corn’ was not maize. We considered a Harry Potter death in that year’s corn MAZE to shut her up. She dropped out of university to marry a guy installed AC units just in time.
Polenta, good, with Italian food.

Reactions: Toddy

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
Make a Dal using oats instead of lentils, in it's simplest form - fry off a chopped onion, some garlic and ginger (or use G&G paste), a chilli pepper and maybe something like some sultanas or a few slices of apple. Squirt of tomato puree, then dry spices, the easiest would be a pre-mix curry powder. Then oats, water, salt according to directions on the pack for porridge. It's a really easy alternative to a proper Dal and I can recall just using onion and curry powder with 'instant' sachets back in my student days. No cordon bleu awards but tasty grub.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm inclined to think of English oatcakes .....Staffordshire, etc., as their equivalent of naan bread :D
I make oatcakes but they're crisp, not like a flat bread really.

Anyway, a while ago, @Bodge posted a really good clear descriptive recipe for Staffordshire Oatcakes, and I have found the link :)
Good food :thumbsup:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If those are the rock bun/scones with faces from cherries and nuts, I do, but maybe shift that request to another thread ?

Keep this one for TeeDee's savoury recipes.

Reactions: billycoen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE