sanity do people ever wonder about yours

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woods Wanderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 26, 2006
lincolnshire
do people ever wonder about yours i was just thinking becanse iv been interested in survival primitive living /bushcraft from an early age i have no quesyness whatsoever so when i butcher animals im always really interested in everything about the animal rather than trying to get it over and done with asap a few times iv had comments like i worry about you son and you enjoy that way too much to me its really strange that people would be more bothered about the inside of something than the outside in thailand they have no worrys about anatomy and death BTW i am perfectly sane!

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
I do understand that one WW. Growing up on a farm, and being the youngest I always got the 'worst' jobs - scraping out the pigs with empty baked bean cans and plucking the chickens. It never really bothered me in the slightest (possibly I enjoyed it?!) I guess it was part of knowing that I had a place/worth even though I was little? All my mates thought/think Im seriously weird though! :rolleyes:

Dunno why :dunno:

j

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
I think its an ethics and morals question, rather than one of sanity. We used to get similar question when we raised animals. 'How can you have them killed / eat them, when you've looked after them for months?'

While I took no pleasure in the process of killing, I took pleasure both in ensuring that the animals had the best life I could give them prior to their death, and in the taste of their flesh afterward. I was contented that I'd made their death as swift, painless and stress free as possible.

Once the animal is dead, the butchery part is in fact extremely interesting - you get to see how the animal is 'put together' - post mortems in the form of evisceration and butchery is incredibly useful for good animal husbandry. You have to know how they work if you're going to be able to look after them properly...

As long as a person takes no pleasure in the actual killing, I see no issue with pleasure in the skill of butchery.

Reactions: Toddy

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Most dont even need the excuse of eating and butchering animals out side to point the finger. I dont have the afore mentioned experienced but i cant see it being a problem.

I get the funny looks and sanity questions because i like knives and bivying/bushcraft/wild camping.

Ew you sleep without a tent what about the creepy crawlies eww you go in a bush yadda yadda oh an :eek: you collect knives you must be a phsycopath :confused:

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Everyone (except my Ma & Pa) thinks I'm a bit touched coz I prefer to be in the woods to pretty much anywhere else. Still.. funny how they always come to me when they want something fixed, made or found... :D :rolleyes:

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
I've never realy asked anyone if they think Im crazy or not, I just assume that they think I am and get on with my life. :werd: :beerchug: :240: :headbang:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I get told I'm a bit wierd as I go "camping" in my own time! All I hear is "You must be wierd sleeping outdoors, it's freezing!" to which my answer is "You're a soldier too, don't you like living outdoors?!!" Very wierd!

As I own a few knives, I'm also a deer killing nutter who roams around the woods in my undies with a big sword decapitating deer....apparently! Erm, no, I don't. In fact, deer are my favourite animal and I'd much rather see it running about than dead on the floor.

Ignore these people, they are the sort of person who either have no interests at all and live a very sad life, or they have wierder interests than us!!

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
weekend_warrior said:
Everyone (except my Ma & Pa) thinks I'm a bit touched coz I prefer to be in the woods to pretty much anywhere else. Still.. funny how they always come to me when they want something fixed, made or found... :D :rolleyes:

Yeah people think that about me because Id rather be in the woods or on the hills than in the middle of Brighton, standing in HMV or on the stench ridden beach. Most of my friends never venture anywhere else in England, but Brighton.

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
Its not us guys its everyone else!

I've seen people park in a forest car park and stay in their cars. The adventurous ones wind down a window and throw crumbs to the birds.....the real nutters sit in their deck chairs next to their cars....insane!

Woods Wanderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 26, 2006
lincolnshire
forest car parks with people not getting out there cars is there by any chance a group of men stood round the car lol each to there own
the reason why i posted this is cos i was halfway through sawing a frozen sqirrel head in half when i thought what if my veggy girlfriend could see me now :lmao: it is funny how people do come to us types when they need something fixing, making or advice suppose psyco's have a use :rolleyes: nice to read others reactions though

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Mr_Rimps said:
Its not us guys its everyone else!

I've seen people park in a forest car park and stay in their cars. The adventurous ones wind down a window and throw crumbs to the birds.....the real nutters sit in their deck chairs next to their cars....insane!
We have loads of those types, especially at this time of the year they do the Saga trips (I can take the mick as I am in the saga bracket). Went out with the dog the other day and the dog tore off after a rabbit and as usual didn't get it but came back like this;

One woman nearly fainted, some chap wanted to call the police and all she had done was cut her ear!
My real problem was stopping her running off after more bunnies.
These people who languish in car parks and think they are participating in the outdoors do my head in.
I spent the night waiting for Rolf and his animal police (well they think they are police and dress up in paramilitary gimp garb) to come and stun grenade us while my pooch just laid and hated me for dressing up her wounds.

Does this count as dogging?

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I pulled into a layby on my 1st honeymoon in Scotland (marriage ended badly - it seems rearing barn owls in your spare room, snakes etc. is not the recipe for a long term relationship - still I digress) and proceeded to remove the head of a roadkill Pine Martin I had picked up further down the road. I must confess to having got a bit absorbed in the task however on glancing up I noticed a small girl being consoled by her mother whilst her father viewed me with a look of horror and disgust "This is the only bit you can't eat" I said cheerily then beat a hasty retreat. I was in a hired camper so managed to keep the head in the freezer compartment of the fridge as I intended to preserve the skull on returning home. I learnt a lot that trip the most valuable lesson being that you cannot take campers into multi storey car parks :eek:

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Silverback said:
I pulled into a layby on my 1st honeymoon in Scotland (marriage ended badly - it seems rearing barn owls in your spare room, snakes etc. is not the recipe for a long term relationship - still I digress) and proceeded to remove the head of a roadkill Pine Martin I had picked up further down the road. I must confess to having got a bit absorbed in the task however on glancing up I noticed a small girl being consoled by her mother whilst her father viewed me with a look of horror and disgust "This is the only bit you can't eat" I said cheerily then beat a hasty retreat. I was in a hired camper so managed to keep the head in the freezer compartment of the fridge as I intended to preserve the skull on returning home. I learnt a lot that trip the most valuable lesson being that you cannot take campers into multi storey car parks :eek:
Was the disecting done in a public car park then??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE