sak firesteel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tom57

Jan 1, 2008
london
is there a firesteel small enough to fit in the slot of the toothpick/tweezer slot of a sak (huntsman) if so where can i get one
any help info would be appreciated

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
I've not heard of any myself.

If you mean a ferrocerium (like the sweedish fire steel etc) rod I imagine at that size they would be far too brittle to last very long.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I have a couple about 2-3mm diameter.
That's as small as I know of
Didn't we have a group buy on them last year???

We had one each for our PSKs when we were in the jungle

Mark

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I think something along this line is a bit more practical....

bensminifiresteelfarmergf9.jpg

Small enought to be out of the way, and large enough to be useful. I got it from Bens Backwoods.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
If you get the nato issue steel (with the alu U tube support) you can prise the steel from the support, break it into two then it fits into the knife itself. You have to open the wood saw, then drop the steel in there then you can close the saw blade. Also, the saw blade is the best thing to strike with , rather than the knife itself. It's a bit fiddly to hold the shortened steel in your fingertips, but provided you have good tinder it works OK. MacGyvor factor 9/10.

i used to (havent on my newest SAK )

use the 3mm BCB fire steel removed from the channel holder
Drill out the Toothpick hole to 3mm (takes a bit of care and may be to big for smaller SAK's) then file a finger nail groove in the steel

worked Fine never lost one
not pretty as you as see the groove thru the plastic handle as its fairly thin

then sharpen the back of a blade etc for a striker

ATB

Duncan

tom57

Jan 1, 2008
london
drilling the hole in the toothpick slot may be difficult as i superglued the scales down at the pivots when they started to become loose. i will see what i can find online
thanks for the help

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
Another option may be to file directly into the handle lengthwise at the same width as the ferro rod. Then you can epoxy the rod so that it becomes a part of the handle... The only downside would be that you would have to use another piece of steel to strike it, and it may generate enough heat to damage the handles (unlessw they are AL)
You've got me thinking about some new ideas now:)

tom57

Jan 1, 2008
london
thanks for the suggestions, i really like the idea of it 'embedded' in the handle. i think i will just buy a smallish one to attach to the keyring. edispilff, i may try your idea on an old sak if i can get the right firesteel

drilling the hole in the toothpick slot may be difficult as i superglued the scales down at the pivots when they started to become loose. i will see what i can find online
thanks for the help
yep i drilled mine while attatched just have to be carefull they dont pop off

if its just the plastic scales you should be able to get replacements or a custome wood job as seen several times on here by some clever types

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE