Rucksack size, help needed.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wildebassman

Jan 12, 2009
Up North
I am puzzled about what size I need for a rucksack to go hiking from one hostel to another for about a week. I haven't been rambling for about 25 years and i want to start out easy again... I will be (wild) camping in the near future but now for starters need a rucksack that will carry the stuff for my first little try out. I was wondering would a 50-55 ltr. rucksack do?
All advice and input is highly appreciated.

Dennis.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Need more info.
How many nights will you be staying out between each hostel stop?
What time of year?
A 50-60ltr sack is a good all round size. In winter you may find you need slightly larger (I use a 66L sack in winter) due to the need for more clothing/thicker sleeping bags. Whilst in summer you can get by with considerably smaller (I use a 40L, or sometimes just a shoulder bag - depending how adventurous/decadent I'm feeling).
Pack sizes is one of those things - everyone is different. Dive in with the size you are thinking of and see how it goes.

wildebassman

Jan 12, 2009
Up North
Need more info.
How many nights will you be staying out between each hostel stop?
What time of year?
A 50-60ltr sack is a good all round size. In winter you may find you need slightly larger (I use a 66L sack in winter) due to the need for more clothing/thicker sleeping bags. Whilst in summer you can get by with considerably smaller (I use a 40L, or sometimes just a shoulder bag - depending how adventurous/decadent I'm feeling).
Pack sizes is one of those things - everyone is different. Dive in with the size you are thinking of and see how it goes.

I don't plan to sleep out for starters and I was thinking of a one week trip. I bought an Airjet 35 but it's way too small, I still have an vintage Karrimor Civetta that I think is just a bit too big, I don't mind having a few different rucksacks for different occasions but as said all input is welcome, also on brands and where to buy.

Dennis.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use a 75L (with side pockets if needed) for multi night trips and a 45L for one nighters.

The difference in load for me would be additional base layers and more food and maybe a few toys like a fishing rod or telescope thrown in aswell.

I guess the only way you`d know what size you need is to lay out all your kit and see what size pack you need to get it all in. Everybody is different in what they need to take, some guys on here use 45L packs for all trips but I can`t do that, believe me I`ve tried.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Righty-O. That helps.
So it's just to carry clothes and personal effects then? In that case you'll find a 50L pack ideal - plenty of room for spare undies and stuff, and not too heavy either.
As for make...well, again, you've opened a can of worms.
Have a look in your local Millets or Blacks. Own-brand packs are very good, and well-priced. If you think you may want to do some camping out at some point then you may want to look at ones in subdued or neutral colours - bright reds and blues may draw attention.
I think a 50/55L pack is a good generic size. And will be useful for more than just back packing/camping as well.

clownman

Jan 9, 2009
Tamworth
i have 3 different sized packs that i use depending on what I need to take.

30+5ltr daysack, 55ltr and a 95ltr… all karrimor, i wouldnt even look at another brand for myself. Ive been using karrimor for the best part of 20yrs and they've never yet let me down. My eldest son has a blacks own brand 60ltr pack he uses for camp and to be frank, the quality just isnt there. All the materials its made from feel flimsy, great for camp but I wouldnt want to rely on it if i was carrying it fully loaded for any distance.

jerryo

Feb 20, 2007
hampshire
my advice would be to use the smallest pack that you can and take the least amount of stuff with you that you can get away with. if it were me i would use nothing bigger than a 35l pack.:)

my advice would be to use the smallest pack that you can and take the least amount of stuff with you that you can get away with.

Totally agree - especially on an extended hike. If you buy a large rucksack - you will invariably fill it with "just in case" items which will never see the light of day - just because you'll have the space for it. By the end of day one, the weight penalties will be obvious.

Decide what you're going to carry first (and on a trip like this, always think weight v necessity) and then get the rucksack which matches your load - if necessary take a holdall , containing your stuff into the shop with you and see if you can pack it well in any of the rucksacks they have for sale.

Incidentally, I have a 60ltr rucksack with an internal pouch for a 3ltr hydration bladder (well worth considering) and it suits for both summer and winter outings - although I'm rarely out for longer than 2 nights in winter.

Good Luck!

wildebassman

Jan 12, 2009
Up North
i have 3 different sized packs that i use depending on what I need to take.

30+5ltr daysack, 55ltr and a 95ltr… all karrimor, i wouldnt even look at another brand for myself. Ive been using karrimor for the best part of 20yrs and they've never yet let me down. My eldest son has a blacks own brand 60ltr pack he uses for camp and to be frank, the quality just isnt there. All the materials its made from feel flimsy, great for camp but I wouldnt want to rely on it if i was carrying it fully loaded for any distance.

Is it the SF range you use, because I want my rucksack to be Olive Green.

Cheers,

Dennis.

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
Is it the SF range you use, because I want my rucksack to be Olive Green.

Cheers,

Dennis.

I have an old (25 years old) Berghouse Cyclops Roc (from my military days) for almost all occasions. It is a 70 litre but has a good compression system to make it as small as you like. BUT I got rid of the hip belt many moons ago as we used to use a belt pack, which is essentially a web belt with various interchangable pouches on it, so that you could dump your pack (Bergen) and continue with all essential items including food water ammo etc.

Obviously the needs of lightweight camping and trailing are somewhat different so I made a nice padded hip belt (like you would get on a posh rucksack) from cordura and foam from a kip mat with an integral belt to which various things can be hung such as home made pouches, army surplus ones or whatever. I attach said belt to my pack with a couple of clips (like the ones you do a rucksack up with) and so the weight when wearing the pack is transferred to the hips making it comfortable. The clips keep the belt and the rucksack together when in "rucksack-mode".

If I'm just off on short jaunt I just load up the belt pack with stuff I need such as tarp, food ,water etc but without the rucksack and off I go.

The good thing is that it was cheap to make, effective and comfortable with a lot of flexibility... and recycled lots of old but still effective kit. In the summer I clip the belt to a camelback (a cheapo from Aldi) by the same method and this provides rehydration on the trail and a little extra stowage space.

A little bit of a different solution but one that works for me.
hope this helps

Cheers

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Hmm, I think the consensus is a 50-60 ltr. rucksack....

Yup.
I'd say that's a very good, versatile, size. Won't go far wrong there. Sometimes it'll be a bit too big (but that's OK), sometimes a bit too small (but that's OK as well - you can strap things to the outside).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE