Rough Close ~ Midlands ~ July '11 Meet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It's only had a minor fix, some loops added and the net removed.

Not sure of the full size yet or how it will be suspended (Depends on the available trees I guess.)

Usually you can always get a rope between 2 trees (unless you're not in a wood at all :rolleyes:) so that's the easy bit. If you like I'll make you a line shot bag up so you can hoick the rope over the appropriate branches :)

It's how you're going to hold the base of the chute up... poles, in which case you'll need a fair few, anything up to 12-20 depending on size, plus associated pegs and guy ropes.

Or the other way, which is how I do mine, is rope around the outside perimeter of the communal area at about head height then loads of bungees from the chute to the rope. Advantage of that is it keeps it all open without any trip hazards in the dark :) and you don't have loads of poles and pegs to cart around.

I can get my chute into a compression bag for US army modular sleeping system without any trouble and that includes ropes and bungees.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Not sure of the full size yet

In hindsight, it's probably a good job we have the field :lmao: ~ at least you can spread it out a measure it :cool: .

(Depends on the available trees I guess.)

There's 40+ acres (minus the bits in use) to play in ~ we'll find somewhere suitable. If all else fails, we know that there's a friendly (fiendly?) scout group down the track and I know there's at least one good sized Oak tree on their pitch ;) :lmao: .

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'll probably shoot a line with a catty and a heavy hex nut.

I've set a few up with other people but I like to give a job a good coat of "lookinat" because there is often a neat way of doing things that isn't so obvious.

I like the idea of the perimeter rope, that is a lot better than relying on well positioned trees.

I've got a bag full of paracord from Kev at Endicotts I was going to use for spreading.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Steve's Chute with perimeter rope:

communalarea.jpg

communalarea4.jpg

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Just a reminder .......

As per post 25 above, I always find it interesting to see other people’s kit and this time I will be particularly interested in ground dwelling stuff, something I haven’t paid much attention to before.

One aspect of Bushcrafty life I am trying to crack is to get a reasonably comfortable night’s sleep on the ground (instead of my preferred hammock). This is just so I have the option when I want it.

I think I am there as regards the mattress etc side of things but not yet there on what type of bivvy/sleeping bag combination.

I am now thinking of 'US Issue Modular Sleeping Bag System with Bivi Bag' as I don't actually have a proper sleeping bag at the moment (I have used my 'coccoon' when sleeping in a tent), plus a possible mosquito tent thingy (Martin has offered to show me his (!). But no final decisions yet so I will still be very interested to see other set ups.

If I get separate sleeping bag and bivvy, the whatever type of sleeping bag I get I need to be able to unzip it easily so that I can better have a pee at night without having to get all the way out of the bag.

My bivvy spec is:

• (probably) zip to at least half way down one side – same reasoning as sleeping bag zip.
• Some form of mosquito netting
• Space to move around a bit

All of this would be under a tarp.

So if anyone is bringing any kit that is similar to this then could I have a look at it please?

I have already received some good advice but am always open to more.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
With a week to go, I thought I'd give the thread a bit of a bump :cool: ~ and with hope, I've brought the most recent list to the fore.

Meet List:

By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet.

decorum
karl82[tbc]
luckylee.
Cliv
Twodogs
Mesquite + 3 (tbc)
AndyBB (subect to work)
MartinK9 (TBC)
Andy T + 1 (tbc)
Wayland and Debs.
TinkyPete (TBC due to work)
PeterH (+1?)
Elines
Skaus84
Priam (TBC Due to work)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE