Robbed at the door

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Yep

The fact that they are stealing from a person who is clearly caring for an infant means that they are sadly misunderstood.

Their aversion to a pram is probably because they were traumatised by a Silver Cross in their childhood. Perhaps a repressed memory. What we should do is divert money from healthcare, education for the law abiding and pensions and give them a nice job at the states expense..and perhaps a nice outward bounds holiday?

It cannot be that they are thieving little no marks that deserve a thump after all - what they really need is a nice reward rather than a punishment

Or five minutes with a knotted ploughline :D

No, no, no.

The way most of these people are brought up means that they are inured to physical violence.

Custodial sentences in good old fashioned prisons would help. We as a society seem to have given up on trying to reform our criminals. Instead we lock them up after years of unpaid fines and ASBOs and community service orders, in prisons with more facilities than they have at home. Indeed some of them look forward to getting banged up.

Short sentences in no frill, basic accommodation, with no access to drugs or the latest wii type gadgets might make a difference.

At the moment offenders are more or less guaranteed a "walk away" from court; if they found themselves in jail instead it might just make the idea of serial offending a little less attractive.

Or of course we could spend our taxes on improving the conditions in which a lot of folks live and educate the parents on how to give their kids a good upbringing; I won't hold my breath though.:rolleyes:

I think my initial reaction would be the same as yours - find the scum and skin them slowly with a spoon.

But unfortunatley the days of 'taking care of business' are long gone.
These days you go after a bit of scum like that, find them and give them what they deserve only to find you have their mates on your doorstep after payback.

Before you know it your in the middle of a full on feud and it's these situations that get people hurt badly - and the whole family get sucked into the conflict. How would you feel if a younger member of your family got a proper pasting in revenge for your attack on the perpetrator of this crime?

Sort the CCVT, stay vigilant, stay safe.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No, no, no.

The way most of these people are brought up means that they are inured to physical violence.

I pretty much guarantee that if you knot the ploughline under their ear they won't re-offend ;)

Custodial sentences in good old fashioned prisons would help.

<snip>

Short sentences in no frill, basic accommodation, with no access to drugs or the latest wii type gadgets might make a difference.

Throw in very basic food, and hard labour and we'll compromise:)

Or of course we could spend our taxes on improving the conditions in which a lot of folks live

Nope, not into people who work hard paying for those who don't. Tell youwhat, why don't we give them a tax break on what they can be bothered to earn for themselves? Deal?

Red

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I pretty much guarantee that if you knot the ploughline under their ear they won't re-offend ;)

Given the number of times the courts have convicted innocent people, not a good idea.

Throw in very basic food, and hard labour and we'll compromise:)

No problem with that.

Nope, not into people who work hard paying for those who don't. Tell youwhat, why don't we give them a tax break on what they can be bothered to earn for themselves? Deal?

Again, no problem.
Red

That didn't last long did it?:rolleyes: :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That didn't last long did it?:rolleyes: :)
Ahh well - two out of three.

We will have to differ on not having capital punishment. The lack of it kills many many people each year.

How?

Simple. Life imprisonment is horrifically expensive. The money comes from the public purse. This is the same public purse that cannot afford many life saving medical treatments for people who have done no wrong.

So the net effect of not having capital punishment is that many innocent people are denied goods and services - including life saving ones - because the money is spent on housing and guarding people who can never be released.

The problem is that in the real world its not an isolated decision.

For me, sure a few people might be wrongly executed, however releasing the millions of pounds it costs to keep the likes of the Moors Murderers, Yorkshire Ripper etc. in jail would save more innocent lives than it costs.

A tough decision for sure, but a braver one than paying to keep evil people alive whilst letting innocent ones die on the offchance that the occasional decision goes wrong surely?

Red

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
No, no, no.

Custodial sentences in good old fashioned prisons would help. We as a society seem to have given up on trying to reform our criminals. Instead we lock them up after years of unpaid fines and ASBOs and community service orders, in prisons with more facilities than they have at home. Indeed some of them look forward to getting banged up.

At the moment offenders are more or less guaranteed a "walk away" from court; if they found themselves in jail instead it might just make the idea of serial offending a little less attractive.

Or of course we could spend our taxes on improving the conditions in which a lot of folks live and educate the parents on how to give their kids a good upbringing; I won't hold my breath though.:rolleyes:

On I don't know Border,

I used to occasionally share a pint in my local when I lived in Inverness with an older chap who was one of the last to be "birched" up there. ( If you did something really bad and got a custodial sentence + a birching, you could end up with a third of your strokes whenyou went in, third half way through and a third at the end. He had no custodial sentence so "just" got the birching. Needless to say he never ( and neither did any of his pals ) do anything bad ever again.

Also used to have an old retired copper from the area who worked for me. They had another "less official" method. If you got caught doing something bad you got a telling off and a quick cuff 'round the lug (ear). If you got caught again it was a slightly harder cuffing, taken to your family and they would then give you a cuffing. Now it very rarely reached the third stage which was a rather heavy cuffing and then taken to the docks, where the officer would find out where a shp was going, put you on it to work your passage for free, and after the boat had left the officer would inform your suitably mortified family of what had happened. Seemingly crime was pretty light 'round those parts.

The correcton should fit the crime, hopefully to avoid it happening again, wether this is through re-education or removal from society depends on the crime and the chance of it happening to innocents again.

GB.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
British Red - the amount of people killed by lifers who were paroled who would previously have been given the death sentence since its ban in in 1964 is approximately 60 people. I think miscarriage of justice stands at about 10 &#37; of this. Just thought you might like that fact.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I believe in hanging for violent and horrific crimes....only when there is absolutely no doubt, like Sutcliffe, Brady and his miserable, ugly wench. I believe in vengeance, I believe if I got hold of the slimeball who attacked my old mother when she was on her way home from the bingo on two sticks (he tried to grab her handbag but she started lashing at him with the sticks and he ran away) I'd have served a very long time.

In my opinion, I don't think this vengeance is an hangable offence, I'd give them a medal. To me, there are far to many do-gooders in this world, what's the percentage of criminals that have been released only to murder when out?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
We could get all medieval about this or just adopt a pragmatic approach and not leave the purse outside.

Seems to me that its an opportunist thief just doing what they do, don't give them the chance in future.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
British Red - the amount of people killed by lifers who were paroled who would previously have been given the death sentence since its ban in in 1964 is approximately 60 people. I think miscarriage of justice stands at about 10 &#37; of this. Just thought you might like that fact.
Fascinating...so 60 innocent people died from giving violent criminals another chance....whereas 10&#37; of that number of innocents would have died from retaining the death penalty?

Thats an insight I had not considered!

Good post

Red

steveme

Nov 5, 2008
Leeds
Fascinating...so 60 innocent people died from giving violent criminals another chance....whereas 10% of that number of innocents would have died from retaining the death penalty?

Thats an insight I had not considered!

Good post

Red

So the solution is life imprisonment meaning exactly that, resulting in no paroled psychopaths re-offending and if there is a miscarriage of justice society won't have executed an innocent person.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
We turn south georgia into a penal colony for lifers:naughty:

Disobey the most basic laws of society and you forefit your right to be protected by the most basic laws.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Ahh well - two out of three.

We will have to differ on not having capital punishment. The lack of it kills many many people each year.

How?

Simple. Life imprisonment is horrifically expensive. The money comes from the public purse. This is the same public purse that cannot afford many life saving medical treatments for people who have done no wrong.

So the net effect of not having capital punishment is that many innocent people are denied goods and services - including life saving ones - because the money is spent on housing and guarding people who can never be released.

The problem is that in the real world its not an isolated decision.

For me, sure a few people might be wrongly executed, however releasing the millions of pounds it costs to keep the likes of the Moors Murderers, Yorkshire Ripper etc. in jail would save more innocent lives than it costs.

A tough decision for sure, but a braver one than paying to keep evil people alive whilst letting innocent ones die on the offchance that the occasional decision goes wrong surely?

Red
If you wish that someone should be killed, as revenge for their crimes, that’s fine, or kill them as a punishment that’s fine, but in my opinion a little late, or even as a deterrent, well fine also although that theory has long been disproved.
But to claim that financial it make more sense, then that is just plain wrong.

In the USA in states where the death penalty is still used, it is between 48% and 70% more expensive to sentence someone to death than it is to give them natural life without any parole. California is the exception, according to figures published in 2008, it cost $11million per year to maintain all their “life without parole inmates” (3,800), but cost $137 million to maintain the 600 (0.2% of the prison population) or so people on Death row. Killing them (as part of a justice system) is not the cheap option.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Death row is that expensive because there are that many appeal hearings and the facilities for them are that much more expensive too.

Why do i have the image of a field full of tarps for them to live in and British Red with his Cegga axe standing at the gallows LOL

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Death row is that expensive because there are that many appeal hearings and the facilities for them are that much more expensive too.

Why do i have the image of a field full of tarps for them to live in and British Red with his Cegga axe standing at the gallows LOL
I guess if a drum-head was good enough for the French Revolution, it's good enough for purse snatchers. why bother with a trial in the first place. Just hang them, you've bound to find a guilty one eventually

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
I guess if a drum-head was good enough for the French Revolution, it's good enough for purse snatchers. why bother with a trial in the first place. Just hang them, you've bound to find a guilty one eventually

Hanging is to time consuming, a conveyor belt of the cliff of dover would be much quicker

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

Spot on.

One appeal (only on the basis that there are grounds for appeal) then apply the "manilla quickstep"

People might find this harsh or reactionary. Personally I find denying life saving medical treatment to innocent people - when spending money on keeping rapists and murderers in prison unacceptable. Those who can't make the choices can fillibuster and obfuscate all they want. At the end of the day we divert money from healthcare and pensions to keep alive people convicted of heinous crimes. I can't reconcile that with my value system.

I'd be interested to hear the speech that explains to the parents of a terminally ill child why their child must die so that a serial rapist can live.

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE