River Cottage "Hedgerow" Book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Well, looks like the 7th book in the series is available for pre-order on Amazon.

It's called 'Hedgerow' and is basically a foraging guide.

See Amazon for description.

I've got all of the other books and, if quality of previous writing is to go by, it should be good. However, it is written by the same guy who wrote the edible seashore book and the mushroom guide (John Wright), which was quite basic, and I suspect that the hedgerow guide might be quite basic too. Nowt wrong with that, though. And I guess there'll be plenty of good recipes.

Also, they are high-quality, fantastic-looking books and the series takes pride of place on my shelves.

Looks like release in early August.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cheers for the heads-up Mike, I'll probably get this one too.

I had the mushroom one but sold it on as I found for ID'ing it wasn't brilliant and I'd end up carry two books normally, I have found the seashore one more useful though.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
ive got the preserves book and was thinking of adding the edible sea shore one to the list, and probably this hedgerow one,

did you think the edible sea shore one wasnt to good mike?

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
ive got the preserves book and was thinking of adding the edible sea shore one to the list, and probably this hedgerow one,

did you think the edible sea shore one wasnt to good mike?

It was OK but nothing special. I'm slightly biased in that I'm a veggie so the fish and mollusc stuff is only really for knowledge/interest for me. There is plenty of info on sea-shore veg in a number of other books so it's certainly not an authoritative guide.

I think the Bread one is my most used of the series, then the Preserves book. The Mushroom one is OK but fairly noddy - just remember who these books are generally being written for.

As I said, I am almost collecting these because of the type/style of book that they are now, as well as the content. I love the design and layout and, regardless of the subject, they are an informing - if unchallenging - read. In fact, if I can get the fishing one cheap, I'll get it to complete my collection, even though I don't eat fish.

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Looking forward to this one. I love the mushroom book and have founds it to be very useful for ID-ing (although i would/will always triple check everything), it's also a really nice book to read.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE