Favourite Schraftin book

• Hey Guest, For sale we have Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteel PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information or use the Pay Now button in the sidebar

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I’am sure like most others here I have quite a collection of books on our favourite subject, maybe a modest one compared to some but a collection all the same. Now I know it’s not exactly strictly a Bushcraft book but the first book I bought back in 85/86 is still my favourite and that’s Ole Loftys famous SAS Survival Guide, I read the pages off that thing as a teen. Happy days :)
From your personal libraries what is your personal favourite book?

Broch

Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
'Make and do the Woodcraft Way' by J.G.Cone (Eagleye)

That was the book that I had as a child and inspired me to 'just be' outdoors. It covers camping, camp crafts and gadgets, tracking, camp cooking, leatherwork, making clothing from blankets ..... and lots more in a relatively small book.

I still have my 1942 second edition.

Reactions: Van-Wild and CLEM

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
'Make and do the Woodcraft Way' by J.G.Cone (Eagleye)

That was the book that I had as a child and inspired me to 'just be' outdoors. It covers camping, camp crafts and gadgets, tracking, camp cooking, leatherwork, making clothing from blankets ..... and lots more in a relatively small book.

I still have my 1942 second edition.
Never heard of it. Just ordered it off Amazon Kindle. Cheers @Broch

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: CLEM

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Do most consider Loftys book as a Bushcrafting book?
I didn't. I remember having a little pocket copy of it as a lad. Even spent a night or two in shelters of loftys designs. Some interesting knowledge in there, a lot of it relevant to bushcraft but it was very much focused on survival, ie: make it home. The clue was in the title I suppose. It definitely attracted me as a kid.

It was military focussed and I loved it.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: CLEM

Redhand Jack

Jan 25, 2021
Devon
Not exactly bushcraft, more woodsmanship, but I found Ben Law's Woodland Year a great read, his conversational style is easy to read and his depth of passion and knowledge for his way of life is really refreshing - I'll be ordering his Woodland Way and Woodland Workshop books soon..

As a kid I remember spending several summers out playing in the woods behind our house with Lofty's SAS survival guide - good times
I also remember my dad finding one of his books much the worse for wear several years later and being none too impressed - that wasn't so fun

Reactions: Dougster and CLEM

Broch

Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales

+1 for that; it's an interesting book with a lot of information with a different perspective from your standard 'wilderness craft' books.

Reactions: TeeDee

Paul_B

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 14, 2008
Lancashire
Not bushcraft but I find a useful outdoors book is Langmuir's book, the one about mountain leadership for the ML course. I'm more outdoors then bushcraft proper so I really read more on outdoor techniques. Whether book of the bivvy, that ml book or books on fitness for outdoor sports. I've started the natural navigation book but only started. I once walked for a week on Skye with my downtime spent reading a book by guy Grieve about his move to Alaska for a year. It kind of resonated with me living in a tent for some reason. Not the same thing but being in the UK wild and reading without a torch after midnight is kind of memorable.

Reactions: Madriverrob

Brizzlebush

Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
You can save a few pounds and not line amazons pockets if you buy it through Abebooks.
https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=19472709887
I agree, second hand is great and cheaper so I hate to burst your bubble, but, Abebooks is a subsidiary of Amazon:

Scroll down the page to find the details. I was surprised when I found out, and pretty cross, partly because you have to look.

Amazon is insidious, almost unavoidable and everywhere.
But then that's their plan.
They don't get a penny from me.

Try this list if, like me, you want to boycott Amazon and love books.

Apologies to the OP for the tangent. I can move this to a new thread if the mods want? I just thought it was worth letting peeps know.

I read the SAS handbook cover to cover as a teen. I don't consider it bushcraft, technically, but there are a lot of crossovers, and I found it inspirational.
Food for free by Richard Mabey I still love.

Last edited:

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.