Right... that's it... I have to get this off my chest....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
Rain man said:
Hi all, I have been watching this thread with interest because I have been thinking about going skyward myself. On a trip to Scotland I had a very very hard time finding some flat gournd on which to pitch my lovey Akto. and was considering a bivvi. I have since then bought a bivvi, problem solved!...? But was curious about hammocks. particularly (roll eyes) Ray Mears/Pyramid hammock since ordering the sleep system DVD from his site. But I remain as dubious as some others. OK they sound like the most comfy things in the world and yes u can camp above muddy, uneven, rocky ground (wonderful!) but what about the weather? My tent can handle ALL types, even deep snow and i remain soundly protected (albeit cut-off) from the bad weather.
Can anyone please tell me what its like in very high winds? will it get under the basha and rip it off? can u feel the winds thru the mossie net? I'm just trying to imagine the senario b4 I put myself into it for real. Any insight will be greatfully recieved.

Hey Rain Man,

In very high winds it can be a little (HA!) uncomfortable if your tarp isn't big enough. Loads of people on this site mention the length of the tarp being an issue, but in my opinion the width is far more important. If the wind really picks up, you can pull the tarp right down to below the side of the hammock and this cuts out all the wind - if the hammock isn't wide enough, you are left with very little head space. The wind would have to spectacularly strong to completely rip a hammock of if you knors are tied properly - certainly strong enough to reform the tent poles in your Akto (great kit, btw, I want one...). If anything, hammocks are better in high wind because you can sleep soundly, wind proof, knowing that you will still be there in the morning and none of your kit can be masively damaged (unless a rather large tree in felled in your direction, but if that happened I don't suppose you'd be able to care much about it :p )

You can feel the wind through the mossie net (the rule is: if you can see through it you can feel the wind through it (I know, except glass, smart ***) ), but the net does help to slow it down to some extent, and decent hammocks are usually deep enough to block out the wind completely, especially if you sleep on your side.

If you are realy worried about wasting your money, then buy one of the cheap net hammocks first (they cost about £10). They are too short, but if you use it in good weather you'll realise how fantastically comfortable they are and be desperate to upgrade to a 'real' hammock (not hennesey, they are horrible :tongue-ti ) Better still, you could get to a meet up and get in someone elses if they are willing to let you, and maybe even use it for the night (if you come to the Spring North meet, you can use mine).

From my experience, the only times I have been uncomfortable in a hammock was when it was really hot and it was a little cramped for things to 'spread out' :cough: . I have used mine in the worst of winter squall and been much more comfortable than I would've been in a tent (waking up to the smell of stale farts is now a thing of the past :D ).

I can't rememer who said this (I think it was Razorstrop): "Once you take to the trees, you'll never sleep on the floor again." And it really is true.

Jake.

Rain man

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
London
Wow Thanks Capacious!
There's a lot for me to mull over. Think I'm gonna try out a cheap one first but will definately upgrade to top of the line as soon as I'm certain I like it. My thinking is generally that if it leaves u feeling poor it will porbably do its job. I bought Some of my gear Akto included before Mr Mears had them on his site, so I'm pleased that I'm on the same page as someone like him, so I must be doing something right. :) Thanks again.

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
AlexRowan said:
actually Mod, it may be a problem... I was just looking at those Henessey (sp) one's, just for reasearch of course.. and the weight limit is 220lbs! I'm afraid I come in at a not so cool 270!!!!! So I guess I'll be sleeping with the bugs after all!! lol

I was suprised though, 220 is only 15st 10lbs... which isn't really that much when you consider the clothing, sleeping bag, bivvy bag, thermarest, kitchen sink, fluffy toy that some of you guys take in with you??

Anyone had any "creak creak.....twang!!!!!" moments??

Look closer
Expedition Asym2 lbs. 10 oz./1175 gramsup to 6' 250 lbs/ 110 kg.100" x 48"210D Oxford nylon120" x 60"100"1 oz. 20D polyester NoSeeUm netting
Explorer Ultralight Asym2 lbs. 7 oz./1110 gramsOver 6' 250 lbs 110 kg108" 48"70D nylon 160 x 90 high count132" x 60"108"1 oz. 20D polyester NoSeeUm netting
Explorer Deluxe Asym3 lbs. 4 oz./1300 gramsOver 6' 300 lbs 135 kg108" X 48"210D Oxford nylon132" X 60"108"1 oz. 20D polyester NoSeeUm netting
Safari Deluxe Asym4 lbs. 8 oz./1650 gramsOver 6' 350 lbs 160 kg112" X 52"210D Oxford nylon144" X 60"112"1 oz. 20D polyester NoSeeUm netting

There you go, two 250 lbs, a 300 lbs, and a 350 lbs!!!

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
(not hennesey, they are horrible )

OK.....care to expand on why?

We all have our preferences, and it is a matter of opinion, but if you don't like something the why's? are as important as the reasons you think something is good.

Me, I like them, comfy, lightweight, easy to get in and out of...... only problem is that I think the standard fly is a tad on the small side........ which is why I bought a takonta tarp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE