Right... that's it... I have to get this off my chest....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
i was at the wilderness gathering last year .
now ive camped and bivied for the whole of my life .
now i have a bit of a dickie back from time to time and i am also a bit of an insomiac .
now on the second nignt my mate bob said i should try out his hammock - i quote fight club - babys dont sleep this well .
i was completely blown away at the comfort of the things and you can move around in them laying on your back or curl up .
i went out and bought an expencive one and its a bit of an over kill and yes in the uk often it can be just a smmer affair and yes its hassle finding somewhere to hang it sometimes but boy those times you can use it is so worth it hanging in the trees at night is just a joy .
its been said here before - once you move off the ground there is no turning back

AlexRowan

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
Somerset
Thanks Mod.. I may well hold you to that!!

Stickie said:
also like that my hammock keeps me above the bugs and slugs that always seem to walk over me when on the ground.

lol.. I've got to admit, I've never got used to the sound of the creepy crawlies munching and crunching by my head!

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Slightly off topic but I was wondering what an ideal space between trees would be for hanging hammocks.

It all depends of course , I am asking as will will be thining some trees soon
& it would be nice to have a hammock in a few years when the trees have grown more. :cool:

AlexRowan

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
Somerset
actually Mod, it may be a problem... I was just looking at those Henessey (sp) one's, just for reasearch of course.. and the weight limit is 220lbs! I'm afraid I come in at a not so cool 270!!!!! So I guess I'll be sleeping with the bugs after all!! lol

I was suprised though, 220 is only 15st 10lbs... which isn't really that much when you consider the clothing, sleeping bag, bivvy bag, thermarest, kitchen sink, fluffy toy that some of you guys take in with you??

Anyone had any "creak creak.....twang!!!!!" moments??

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Agreed,

I've had me and my wife using my hammock for a seat and between us we come close to 19st so I don't foresee any problems.

Setting the tension when hanging the hammock is the important thing. Best thing to do is hang it, get in and allow the hammock lines to stretch out then re tension the lines.

moduser

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
moduser said:
Agreed,

I've had me and my wife using my hammock for a seat and between us we come close to 19st so I don't foresee any problems.

Setting the tension when hanging the hammock is the important thing. Best thing to do is hang it, get in and allow the hammock lines to stretch out then re tension the lines.

moduser
How small is your wife?! :p

miyakoboy

Aug 16, 2004
South Harting
humm hammocks.

to be honest i think hammocks are great if you have a MASSIVE one that you can sleep across. I have a DD hammock and a few others and i have found they tend to bunch up a bit much top and bottem thus making them crap for a nights sleep.

I'm still looking for the perfect hammock, but to be honest I don't like sleeping on my back and usually end up sleeping underneath mine with a bivvi bag after a few hours of semi comfort - doh. Usually about 4am when i cant take it anymore and i've had to peel myself out of my sleeping bag to go for a ****.

At the end of the day its about whats best for you :)

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
In order to get a decent posture in a hammock, you really need to go assymetric. You lie a little flatter, so that if you are a side or belly sleeper like me you can get into a comfy position. Since the hammock is holding you up at all points you will find a position somewhere between side and back in time.

My only gripe is that you need to insulate the underside. Mats in the hammock suck big time. noisy, slippy, annoying, condensation making things. An underquilt, made from an old [synthetic] bag works for me, together with a decent sleeping bacg. Most imoprtant though, is pitching it properly, and in the right place to maximise any warmer microclimate around.

You can use a hammock without anything to hang it on except a couple of poles:

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/use-as-a-tent.htm

http://hikinghq.net/images/MVC-002F.JPG

of course you'll need a pad for this, but it's still pretty comfy

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
I've stayed out of this thread to this point because my only exposure to hammocks have been a couple of string hammocks (of no value whatsover) and a couple of old US military hammocks - which weighed a ton.

The weight is my big question. Seems like just one more thing to carry - especially if you have to carry a thermarest as well to make them habitable. I hate even having to carry a thermarest. Seems like a hammock would only be good for stationary camping.

PG

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Ok, lots of good input on hammocks here. Myself, I am a side and stomach sleeper and can't sleep on my back at all. Never have been able to. I find that a hammock is the only way to sleep in the jungle. It is so wet and rains so much, camping on the earth is not pleasant. Not to mention the insects, snakes and other undesireables.
My first hammock experience was with a US Army M1966 hammock which is sort of well designed and has little toggles with shock cord for attaching a poncho as a fly. You are at your own devices to get and hang a mosquito net with the M1966 hammock, there is not one included. It is light in weight but way too narrow and the tendacy is to fall out or feel insecure. That first few weeks with the hammock did give me an appreciation of the advantage of a hammock for a jungle environment though.
I now have a few different hammocks, both wider with bug netting and separate bashas. I have used them in forest areas and like the ability to be able to pitch camp in any terrain, although a flat area is still best. It can be hazardous to get out of a hammock on the downhill side of a steep slope!
I have experienced several nights with a chilly bottom even with a thermarest inside, the only relief is to turn and warm one side at a time. Hawaii is cold when you get up high!
My favorite hammock is the RM Pyramid system because the hammock is so wide. It does however cost a lot of money for the little use it receives. There is just about no place to use a hammock here in the local desert, no trees spaced for hanging the thing. For the desert I use my MSR Hubba Hubba, no need to have any high points to tie off to.
If you can hang a hammock though, I think it is worth a go, they can be a good way to sleep and a fun way to have your own little hanging world. Cheers!

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
i have to agree with you that basically everyone here is mad on hammocks it surprised me at first, wich is another reason ive keept comming back :) im of the same opinion,its basically in my opinion at least just another sleeping option to have with you .
you dont go out of your way to look for a tree but a hammock dont way much its like sleeping in the 4toner rather than under it :) :yikes: (and i hate spiders) :yikes: yep all 17 stone of me hates them,
i once slept for 34 nights on a hammock tied between a 360 digger and the tow hitch of my car on a security job, its a great way to sleep in warmer times at least ill be trying it in march for the first time in 6 yearts ill let you know how it goes :D

Rain man

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
London
Hi all, I have been watching this thread with interest because I have been thinking about going skyward myself. On a trip to Scotland I had a very very hard time finding some flat gournd on which to pitch my lovey Akto. and was considering a bivvi. I have since then bought a bivvi, problem solved!...? But was curious about hammocks. particularly (roll eyes) Ray Mears/Pyramid hammock since ordering the sleep system DVD from his site. But I remain as dubious as some others. OK they sound like the most comfy things in the world and yes u can camp above muddy, uneven, rocky ground (wonderful!) but what about the weather? My tent can handle ALL types, even deep snow and i remain soundly protected (albeit cut-off) from the bad weather.
Can anyone please tell me what its like in very high winds? will it get under the basha and rip it off? can u feel the winds thru the mossie net? I'm just trying to imagine the senario b4 I put myself into it for real. Any insight will be greatfully recieved.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE