Response Pak show and tell

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
ive decided to just buy the response pack, what mods have you done to yours ?
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
When you get it, give it a shake. Listen to the jangling of the zipper pulls and you'll want to get rid of them straight away! Look at my pictues and you'll see that the zip pulls are 550 paracord. Totally silent!

Also, I put the shoulder strap on, I find using it as a bum bag is just a little awkward and uncomfortable due to the weight of the kit, which is around 2 kgs.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
nice, and following your post i will kit it out, i will defo change the zippers with some paracord and attach a shoulder strap though
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I expected to see other load outs by now. Wayland, got any plans for showing everyone all of the kit you carry in/on yours? I had a quick look at Delamere, but would be interestedd to see it all in nice unblurred photo, unlike some of mine!

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
spamel said:
I expected to see other load outs by now. Wayland, got any plans for showing everyone all of the kit you carry in/on yours? I had a quick look at Delamere, but would be interestedd to see it all in nice unblurred photo, unlike some of mine!

We dont have the Response Paks here in the US (to my knowledge), but I use a similar buttpack style carrying pack by Mountainsmith. I will post pics up this week of it, if you'd like. Its an awesome pack, and I can easily stuff enough gear into it for an overnighter. I normally take it with me when out geocaching, as I can carry everything I nbeed, right there.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
spamel said:
Me too, I had a look on their website, but they don't actually sell them and point you instead to retailers in your area. I need to check Blcks and a climbing shop in Meadowhell out, they may come up trumps.

Nicking other peoples ideas is the main plan behind the show and tell though, as long as you don't pretend they are your idea, where is the damage?!! I'll be on the lookout for good additions.

Great thread guys. Much food for thought.

Are you looking for mini screwgate carabinas? If so then SofF sell them. Just type "Crab" (no reference to the RAF as far as I can see :D !) into the search function and it should come up. They also sell various sizes of the non screwgate variety, however, you have to search for "Karabiner". Hope that helps. Goes with out saying that neither is to be used for climbing purposes!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I got my pak a year or so back to use as a butch baby changing kit carrier (does the job very nicely as it happens) but since the youngest started being civilised I have taken to using it as a small day bag.

In winter I wear it around my waist as intended (usually with the strap going through the handwarmer pocket of a pertex/pile shirt rather than over it) but around town and in summer I wear it bandoleer fashion across my back, being right handed over the left shoulder/ under the right armpit. To access the pockets I simply pull the strap around until the bag part is across my front.

Wearing it this way in summer means you can still get a breeze blowing up your shirt and anyway being a lardy I find bending over with it around my waist a bit restrictive.

Try it!

ATB

Tom

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Ok. Here we go.

Response1.jpg

Basic Snugpack Response pack with Blow poker and skewers on top. Mini carabinas on ends. Laplander saw pushed through straps at back with wrist lanyard with luminous tag on end, looped around snap buckles for security.

Couple of beta lights and photon type torches ( 1 red, 1 UV ) on zip toggle.

Response2.jpg

Opened up to see packing. All items packed in order of need and likely use.

Response3.jpg

Front pocket. From front.

Spork plastic, Lighter flints left, compass in soft case right.
KFS stainless, Mirror on right.
Krill light green, Led torch, head band holder left.
Variable led torch in case, lighter right.
Spoon knife with case behind. handwash left and commercial bug repellent right.

Response4.jpg

End pocket 1. Clockwise from top left.

Film pot full of matches wrapped with strong cord.
Tin containing abrasive rubber / carborundum blocks.
Gerber multitool with mixture of spare blades for interchangable saw in red box.
Diamond sharpening stick, DC4 and sharpening steel.
Carvin Jack with case.

Response5.jpg

End pocket 2.

Small FAK mostly plasters, new skin and blister kit. ( Superglue for emergencies. )
Sewing kit, scissors, safety and blanket pins.
Lighter.
Missing from picture (still in pocket of coat ) is a Benchmade Griptilian lock knife.

Response6.jpg

Main compartment. Clockwise from top left.

Trowel for shovel recce. Gaffa tape, plastic bags, Waylands bug stuff, Paracord and assorted string, thonging, split rings etc. Smaller blister kit in pocketable pouch. WD40 pen and rags, Ball of twine. Sharpening strop for Carvin Jack, stropping paste, peice of rubber inner tube, Star chart and sun position tables, Waterproof matchcase with compass on small dry bag containing mixture of tinders, BBQ fire lighting blocks.

This is a pack I don't generally walk about with, it's more of a camp grap bag for all those things that you want kept handy.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Thanks Wayland, that has given me a few ideas, such as stowing the saw outside instead of taking up room inside!

I also have that sewing kit, I got it over in Germany from Raeer, one of the best surplus stores I ecer went to. Sadly, I can't get over there for a saturday morning visit, but they do mail order, so I may still be a customer with them. They are very competetive!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Excuse me for being hignorant, but what is a response pack?

is it like my `Macro` emergency kit for the wilds?

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Tengu said:
Excuse me for being hignorant, but what is a response pack?

is it like my `Macro` emergency kit for the wilds?

no, it's the name of the waist bag shown in the pictures - there are a couple of similar ones - snugpak call theirs a 'response pack" - maxpedition's is called a 'proteus'..etc..

HTH
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE