Response Pak show and tell

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The sun chart was a freebie from a photographic magazine. I'm afraid I've never seen them anywhere else.

The Planisphere used to be given away with Tasco telescopes in a shop I used to manage. They always sent us too many so I got one or two from there.

They are available from Amazon

Although that one is a bit bigger than mine.

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I have just emptied my response pak and this is what I found. I have to say that mine is more geared more towards tracking rather than bushcraft.

ResponsePak.jpg

Opticron Gallery monocular
Hand Gel
Fenix LD2 torch
Petzl e-lite
Bandana (loads of uses!)
Multi tool
Compass
Notebook and pen
Trail Tape
Castration rings
Lighter & matches
Mini light
Opinel knife
Whistle
Mobile phone
Paracord
Tweezers
Red Bull Stove
Foil Tray (folded flat, very useful)
Loaded strop

On the belt itself I have the following:
GPS in a Maxpedition Radio Pouch
Comms in a Maxpedition Radio Pouch
Carabiner
FAK

I usually take some food (Super Noodles and Rice etc) hence the foil container. Its much easier to carry that a mess tin.

My bag seems a little lightweight compared to you guys. I must try harder :eek:

Hope the pictures come out.

Nick

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Just remembered, add this to the list:

Inova X5 (green leds)
Firesteel
DC4
Oxo cubes
Magnifying Glass
Lolly sticks
Mirror

It's getting heavier :D :D :eek:

Nick

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
nipper said:
I have just emptied my response pak and this is what I found. I have to say that mine is more geared more towards tracking rather than bushcraft.

ResponsePak.jpg

Opticron Gallery monocular
Hand Gel
Fenix LD2 torch
Petzl e-lite
Bandana (loads of uses!)
Multi tool
Compass
Notebook and pen
Trail Tape
Castration rings
Lighter & matches
Mini light
Opinel knife
Whistle
Mobile phone
Paracord
Tweezers
Red Bull Stove
Foil Tray (folded flat, very useful)
Loaded strop

On the belt itself I have the following:
GPS in a Maxpedition Radio Pouch
Comms in a Maxpedition Radio Pouch
Carabiner
FAK

I usually take some food (Super Noodles and Rice etc) hence the foil container. Its much easier to carry that a mess tin.

My bag seems a little lightweight compared to you guys. I must try harder :eek:

Hope the pictures come out.

Nick

I am so going to regret this but...'Castration Rings'? What do you get up to outdoors?

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Hi Mikey

Don't panic, Its nothing sinister.

As I said my passion is tracking, but if I go out for a walk I don't always take my trackpack and tracking stick. So, I tend to throw a few items in my response pack hence the mirror, trail tape, magnifying glass etc. The castration rings are so that I can knock up a quick tracking stick if I need one!

Hope this puts the record straight ;)

Nick

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
g4ghb said:
what do you mean by a 'tracking stick' Nick?

Hi Graham

Good to see another Wiltshire bushcrafter with an interest in tracking ;)

A tracking stick is simply a stick (as straight a possible) with a couple of adjustable markers on it. The markers in this case are a couple of castration rings.

Once you have established the size of the primary impact point the terminal impact point and stride, finding the next track is a doddle. I can track without one but it is a help when the going gets tough.

I also teach scout and explorer groups to track, so I find it an invaluable teaching aid for them, and gives them confidence to find the next track.

I used to take a pile of dowel rods from B & Q but now I usually get them to make a tracking stick so that they can take a break from tracking and practice some knife skills (it gives their eyes a rest after mornings tracking).

Hope this helps but if you need any further info let me know.

Nick

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
A truley inspiring thread this one. So inspiring in fact that I have ordered a Response Pak from outdoor code, and am compiling a list of whats going in it.

I like the idea of the pak sitting in the top of my bergan, in it all those things I spend ages rummaging through my bergan for when camp is set up. It will be great to have one small portable PAK that I can access easily when sat around the fire.

Thanks guys, I'll post pics once its arrived and I have had chance to pack it, see what I can get in it etc.

ps where do I get castration rings from? ;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
:lmao: Castration rings! All I could think was "This'll teach you for wandering all over the woods leaving the faintest tracks ever and making my life a misery!" :lmao:

I read about the tracking stick in the bob carrs book, he uses o rings but I suppose anything that is stretchy and will grip the stick but can be rolled along for adjustment will work. Good idea!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
spamel said:
I read about the tracking stick in the bob carrs book, he uses o rings but I suppose anything that is stretchy and will grip the stick but can be rolled along for adjustment will work. Good idea!

An old pair of marigold rubber gloves work well. Just cut the fingers into pieces so you end up with loads of thick yellow rubber bands. Easy to see in low light conditions. Recycle/reuse.

Eric

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
ps where do I get castration rings from? ;)[/QUOTE]

Woodcutter,

you can get 'Castration Rings' from a shop called 'Countrywide'. It's a commercial farming supplies chain with branches all over the country. You can also get crook knives, boiled linseed oil, axes, tarps, in fact most things bushcraft at reasonable prices, though somethings are useless. I found a pair of underpants for a sheep with a prolapsed uterus! :eek: I can think of one thing and one thing only that it could be used for and it's got something to do with a sheep and a specific medical condition! :D

Not a lot of use in a response pack, but, as i said, loads of other useful things at good prices!

By the way Wayland, i'm so impressed with your crook knife carry case. Correct me if i'm wrong but is it a plastic case for drill bits or industrial tap's? I've just popped into my garage and found one and guess what, instant crook knife case!

Top tip mate, well in!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Jedadiah said:
By the way Wayland, i'm so impressed with your crook knife carry case. Correct me if i'm wrong but is it a plastic case for drill bits or industrial tap's? I've just popped into my garage and found one and guess what, instant crook knife case!

Top tip mate, well in!

Yes, well spotted. I half expected someone to ask because the idea came to me purely by chance.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
My response pack.
Jingly zip pullers removed, photon light and grimlock added.
responsepack001.jpg

Open pack, Note the paracord loop stiched into the front pocket. it allows me to attach things to the bag I don't want to lose. not too full, I'm cutting back on the gubbins I carry around with me.
responsepack002.jpg

The contents.
responsepack003.jpg

from left to right,
Firesteel, esbit tabs, candle, string, swede 60 knife, leatherman wave, notepad+pencil (blister kit on top, lives in ziplock bag, not shown) first aid kit with petzl e+lite head torch attached.

matchcase, fenix p1, hexi tabs (in film tub) citronella oil, lipsalve, snares, crook knife, BRKT mini canadian skinner,

folding cup, cotton wool/vasaline, paracord, strop+paste, DC4, pack of tissues, folding saw, Ritter PSK.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE