Response Pak show and tell

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
i cut the original belt straps off mine, i was never going to wear it as a bum bag, and i may use it for other projects, i sewed on some quick release buckles off an old laptop bag and use the shoulder strap that came with it. will try and get some pics on later

Chinook220

Forager
Jan 7, 2010
Warwickshire
photo14.jpg

starting at the top of the picture, hopfully you will see a silver waterproof cover this is stored at the rear of the pack in the velcro pouch.

To the right of the pack are three lightsticks one of which is a blacklight. (veiwed by NVG's).

under these are a monocular (in the black pouch) in the DPM bag is a Stowaway shirt made of parachute silk.

under these items are a millbanks bag on top of which is a black water carrier and a sewing kit.

in the blue bag at the top is my medical kit whithout FFD's which i carry about my person.
in the silver tin is my Combat survival tin. The orange card is for signalling, at the bottom centre is a military issue Firefly (strobe signalling unit.)

i think that covers the main items.

regards mark

Last edited:

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
By the way, cheapest I found was from DD Hammocks - £15 delivered; they only do the green ones though.
I am tempted to get another one (maybe two) as they are so useful - for fishing kit, general traveling, small DIY tools around the home etc etc. Be nice to get a black one amongst them so I know which is which at a glance.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I upgraded mine to a Maxpedition Sabrecat - about twice the size, fantastic piece of kit although bulkier of course. Allows me to include a hatchet and other stuff in the pack. 13 y.o. son is now building his own Response Pack kit in my cast-off...

0426k_Sabercat1.jpg

NS

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I must admit that I have pretty much stopped using the response pak or any bumbag and gone back to my old Bergaus Munro with a few small pouches attached.

It was fun getting it spot on with regards to kit but for what I am doing there was no advantage to it over a small rucksack and there was no space for putting extra stuff found while out and about.

ATB

Tom

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've got one of those sabercats.
Nice piece of kit.
I've not tried fitting it out as a go-bag yet, but I have used it as hand luggage, flying between Saudi and home.
It holds a surprising amount of stuff.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Yeah yeah, I have a response pack too, packed with goodies, individuated to me, however I have to be cynical and ask an alternative show and tell. That is to say which of the contents of your response pack have actually proved to be life savers?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I purchased a Snugpak Response Pak recently, and everytime I put it on, and tighten the strap. Or 'push' my stomach out, the clasp buckle on the belt pops open and the pak drops to the ground....

Ive had someone else try it on, and it does the same with them.

Anyone else have this problem?

Just want to know If I have a dodgy one, or should lay off the pies?

Also quite like this thread, so worth resurrecting.

Last edited:

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
Yep, the belt is crap. A solution is to cut the belt off and get a webbing belt, then take it down to a cobblers to get them to sow it on between the belt 'D' hooks.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yep, the belt is crap. A solution is to cut the belt off and get a webbing belt, then take it down to a cobblers to get them to sow it on between the belt 'D' hooks.

Im wondering whether I could get away with just changing the plastic clasp buckle?

Im not putting an expensive camera in it, if its gonna fall off!

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
Im wondering whether I could get away with just changing the plastic clasp buckle?

Im not putting an expensive camera in it, if its gonna fall off!

I think the problem you'll also find is the belt twisting under any weight. Hence the thicker belt.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Thanks for this thrad guys and galls.

I've been thinking of having a SMALL bag with minimal kit. I've just sent off for a Responce Pak from Heinnie Haynes for £13.95. I selected a black one.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
205634_591735597738_277701121_3152641_6553065_n.jpg

What i take to work every day.....

first aid kit
iodine
pace counter and gear karabiner
gps with waterproof case
emergency strobe
every day firesteel
id tags with blood group
cotton wool tinder
100ft para cord
signalling mirror
spare fire steel
inner tube
fishing kit x 2
spare clip and whistle
water proof matches
knife
waterproof note paper and first aid memoire
knife sharpener
chinagraph pencil
compass
candles
camel bak mouthpeice
spare torch
pencil
button compass
parachord (lil bit extra as a bracelet)
windproof/uv blocking buff
1600ltr filter
waterproof box
mess tin
lighter
dry sack
spare batteries
waterproof storage tin
Lancashire hot pot rat pak

Now its currently a little depleted as im back off to borneo again for six months in three weeks so it needs a top up. i.e more spare batteries etc.... snare wire blah blah blah.... this was just a quick show and tell ;)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm just putting my pack together for the summer, to include things like sun cream, insect repellant, and sting/bite relief. I'm new to the pack, but so far I like it very much.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Its been awhile since I have seen a Response Pak post, so as I was putting some kit away i thought I would take some pictures to show my current setup. This is what I take in my main pack to keep some form of organisation of all the small bits i take (some bits are not used) but on the whole most of it gets used ever time i am out.

Front
RP1.jpg

Right
RP2.jpg

Back
RP3.jpg

Left
RP4.jpg

Outside
RP5.jpg

Mora Clipper and Light My Fire Ferro rod in a kydex sheath
Laplander Saw
6 mini binners
2x loops of cord for prussic (for tarp usually)

Side Pockets
RP6.jpg

Bag of bits (Bag bag, emergency blanket and poncho, fresnel lens, mirror) See below
Fix kit contain needles, cotton, safty pins) and duct tape on the outside
mint tin containing cotton and vaseline
FAK

Side Pockets Contents
RP7.jpg

Front Pocket
RP8.jpg

Hunters Catty
Gerber Sharpener
Wilma Nordic Summer (lovely smell)
SAK
Short lengh of cord
Peasent Knife - Not usually in the pak, but it has sneaked itself in there.

Main Compartment
RP9.jpg

Fire kit (green heat, tampons, Lighter, rubber tube)
Head Torch and back up batteries
LED Lenser torch
Cordage

Main Compartment Contents
RP10.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE