Response Pak show and tell

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
has anyone tried simply attatching a sig bottle with a mini caribiner, it may dangle a bit but would be easier than sewing extra pouches on :confused:

and you would get that perfect "duke of edinboughroug's award" look (you can allways tell a DofE group. they will have big backpacks. rollmats,sleeping bags and tents will be strapped to the outside. at least one will have a map in a mapcase (ususaly green) around thier neck. several will have compasses hanging round their kneck. there is allways one with a sigg type bottle hanging off a carabiner somewhere. often they will ask you for directions)

EDITED: because I can't spell neck

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
and you would get that perfect "duke of edinboughroug's award" look (you can allways tell a DofE group. they will have big backpacks. rollmats,sleeping bags and tents will be strapped to the outside. at least one will have a map in a mapcase (ususaly green) around thier neck. several will have compasses hanging round their kneck. there is allways one with a sigg type bottle hanging off a carabiner somewhere. often they will ask you for directions)

What's wrong with that :D

At least they're not out mugging old folks :BlueTeamE

I'll get me hat

Mike

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
What's wrong with that :D

At least they're not out mugging old folks :BlueTeamE

I'll get me hat

Mike

only thing realy bad that my description states is that they ask you for directions, they should know where they are and where their going. past that nothing actauly wrong.
But do you want to look like them? (I don't us scouts are comparitively professional (or at least like to think we are :D)

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
never said there was. but do you want to look like one?
(the only time it's honestly bad to look like a DofEer is when you are a scout. we pride ourselves on being comparively professional (although I fail dismaly :) )

:lmao:

I don't care at all how I look. I'm not a DofEler, nor a scout. And I fail dismally on my very own :D

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
I've finally got one of these bags filled as a canoe safety/ survival pack.
If I can suss out how to do the photo thing I'll post some pics up.

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
be nice to see a different one as all mine has in it is: front pouch opinel & lighter. right pouch has a head torch in it, and a whistle outside the front pouch.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
how about posting up some pics of your load out and what you use the response pak for. Also, any modifications that you have made

I quite fancy a response pack, sadly I have had no luck in finding one over here :(

Here are some shots of my current bag, the contents vary, however this is what it contained this morning.

The bag in this picture is an old game bag from Barbour, it has a large main compartment, two bellows pockets on the front and a small penknife pocket on the side. Its old and tatty and doesn't look like it may contain expensive camera or bushcraft equipment. :D

bag_001.jpg

Hidden inside the Barbour bag is another bag! this one is a LowePro AW100 camera bag, this provides the organization and waterproofing missing from the game bag, I can also spilt the bags and carry both separately if I find anything interesting to bring home :D

bag_002_lowe.jpg

bag_003_lowe.jpg

The contents of the main bag...
bag_004_contents.jpg

hat (Barmah),
tobacco pouches (2),
lighter,
brass match case,
handkerchief,
Nutrogena hand cream,
small blue stuff sack (contains mosi head net and tin of Nordic Summer (in poly bag, it leaks),
large carabiner,
pocket camera (Olympus 770),
schrade pocket knife,
notebook & pencil,
small torch with red LED for rummaging at night, :)
pocket carving tool,
firesteel,
crook knife,
belt pouch,
bushcraft knife and one of two sheaths,
pocket saw,
Silva compass,
diamond stone,
Silva L1 head torch or a Petzl e+lite,
wooden spoon,
kuksa,
string, assorted lengths,
gardening gloves (not pictured)

And probably a shemagh too.

The Belt pouch...
bag_005_pouch.jpg

The contents of the belt pouch...
bag_006_contents.jpg

a small nylon credit card pouch containing some basic first aid supplies and...
a very small brass compass,
a pair of tweezers,
a pair of nail clippers,
some needles and thread,

Additionally...

a WW2 Heliograph (not so much for signaling but to help extract insects or debris from my eyes),
2 meters of very strong but very thin cord,
a can opener,
a diamond sharpening stone,
a tin of Vaseline,
a whistle and a handle-less firesteel on a piece of cord,
a small tube of superglue (for sticking fingers back on etc.),
And I will sometimes I keep a small folding knife or carving jack in there.

There are things that I'll add or subtract, larger first aid kit, books, water bladder etc.

Additionally the Lowpro bag comes with a padded insert for the main compartment that holds both my lenses, DSLR camera and camera cleaning gear so if the trip is more about photography than bushcraft I can upend the bag emptying out the bushcraft gear and replace it with the padded insert containing all my photographic gear.

Thanks for looking

:D

Last edited:

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Thats nice sandbender
I like the credit card wallet mini first aid kit and the idea that you can have a seperate bag for forage items if need be Also taking on board the waterproofing idea which I may use by adding XS dry bag as a liner which of course will have other uses

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Also taking on board the waterproofing idea which I may use by adding XS dry bag as a liner which of course will have other uses

Even an allegedly 'water proof' camera bag isn't in a real downpour. Not listed above, but kept in one of the camera bag pockets is a rolled up rubble bag from B&Q, if it rains heavily I can wrap the inner bag to keep it dry and I can also use it to keep game or fish separate from my gear, easier and cheaper to replace a rubble bag than it is to scrub the game bag clean :D

I sometimes carry an Ortlieb bag large enough for all the gear above for when I'm on the water, and with the camera spare strap for the camera bag that can double as a water carrier if needed.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Here's mine.

It's not very bushcrafty, more a mix between hiking/ climbing/ generally being outdoors bag. I packed it for a trip to the woods on Friday.

First off, the items I carry everyday (trouser or jacket pockets):
3098075187_00fe4f698d_o.jpg

From top left:

- Zippo
- Leather pouch
- SAK (Hunter) with cord
- Mobile phone plus protection pouch
- wallet

What's in the pouch, you ask? My firestarter kit ;)
3098075019_c840422633_o.jpg

Next, the kit, packed:
3098075353_b5d049c506_o.jpg

Finally, the contents of the kit.
3098075521_ba0658fc5d_o.jpg

From top left:

- Firesteel with carabiner and cord
- bog roll and rubber bands in zip-lock bag
- survival whistle and carabiner on cord
- head torch (Petzl Tikka Plus)
- Gerber Gator knife and sheath plus ankle wrap
- compass (Silva DP 65, maps I'll add according to where I go)
- first aid kit (modified Lifesystems Mountain First Aid kit, I'll open it and take pics another time)
- Antibacterial Hand Gel (Milton's)
- Pencil Sharpener in container
- Duck Tape
- Saw (Wilkinson) with clip
- Mirror
- Cotton towel
- Camelbak rucksack with orange survival bag sticking out
- Knife with leather sheath and cord (Fallkniven A1)
- Platypus 3l bag and straw
- microfibre towel and nylon bag
- Whetstone (Fallkniven DC4)

Sorry for the crappy pics, it's my lack of skill...

Btw, Sandbender, that's some awesome kit, really looking good. Something I can aspire to :)

Mike

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
...Alright then, this post is now massive, so if a Mod could kindly change the thread title to include “Pic Heavy” that would be much appreciated!...

spamel all your images have vanished :(

Edited to add:

Ah, I now realize that you were banned and probably erased your linked gallery. :(

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE