Report poor service from suppliers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
over the last few days i have seen two threads pop up about firms and or products that have fell below the required quality expected. I am neither a seller or a rep from either or any other firm.

whilst I dont mind and find the chance to vent ones splein a great asset and a helpfull pointers to others to stay away or to use. It does nark me when some one jumps straight in without getting the full picture together.

Tengus axe is a classic that i will use as the example , sorry tengu, love ya realy!!

his axe is naff realy realy naff, 100% naffness, but in his opening he does not mention if he has been in contact with axminster power tools or not and if so what was the out come.

if he had started with look at this naff axe , but it got changed to a brand new one yesterday or a new replacement is on its way, my raw nerve would not have been stood on.

the other thread with the so called internet expert input is the other end, yes they had tried to sort a solution and stated so in there posting.

I realy do want to read about companies being good or bad, great or naff but can we at least give the person the other end a fair crack at the whip please.

again sorry to tengu who was the first person i mentioned as i had just read his posting before writing this, and also some one will step over the mark with a posting one day and someone will take exception to it and we will all be in trouble.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
over the last few days i have seen two threads pop up about firms and or products that have fell below the required quality expected. I am neither a seller or a rep from either or any other firm.

whilst I dont mind and find the chance to vent ones splein a great asset and a helpfull pointers to others to stay away or to use. It does nark me when some one jumps straight in without getting the full picture together.

Tengus axe is a classic that i will use as the example , sorry tengu, love ya realy!!

his axe is naff realy realy naff, 100% naffness, but in his ope ning he does not mention if he has been in contact with axminster powe r tools or not and if so what was the out come.

if he had started with look at this naff axe , but it got changed to a brand new one yesterday or a new replacement is on its way, my raw nerve would not have been stood on.

the other thread with the so called internet expert input is the other end, yes they had tried to sort a solution and stated so in there posting.

I realy do want to read about companies being good or bad, great or naff but can we at least give the person the other end a fair crack at the whip please.

again sorry to tengu who was the first person i mentioned as i had just read his posting before writing this, and also some one will step over the mark with a posting one day and someone will take exception to it and we will all be in trouble.

It is important to get the facts correct before having a rant isn't it:rolleyes:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, I agree, it's always a fine line for us dealing wtih these things, if someone writes a well worded summary of what's happened and the steps taken to deal with it it's all quite straight forward, when people just jump on the band wagon it messes things up big time and also contributes greatly to a thread being closed or removed rather than staying where it is and contributing to a good resolution for people. I don't want threads on bcuk that just slag off companies, if they're here they need to contribute to resolution, all parties need to be reasonable and respectful and of course factually correct as far as they can be.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
I fear a blacklist would be unfair to traders as everyone deserves a second chance, though persistently poor performing traders should be named.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Bad service/products should be known to all so they can avoid making the same mistake themselves. Tengu shared with us a very poor product and I'm grateful she did so, that saves others from buying the same junk.

If others have shared disappointment with the same retailer then I can't see the problem with them chipping in? It's up the the makers of the carp Japanese axe and the QC team at Axminster to argue their end.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'm not sure it's that clear cut, I think that mistakes happen etc and that's life, part of the reputations of companies is the way they deal with things, if it's just a case of look what got delivered it doesn't seem like the whole story to me.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The thing we have to be careful off is getting into the same situation that the hotel industry is struggling with now.
Basicaly the punter goes to said hotel has no issue what so ever with the service and says nothing upon leaving. The punter then goes straight to the most popular review site of the time and writes a daming review slating everything.
The punter is now waiting for the company to contact them to offer a "settlement", even worse they contact the Hotel and threaten them directly, "If you dont give us our money back we will leave the review in place"
Yes you can contact the website directly but more often than not they will not remove the content. Now I am not saying that BCUK would not remove the content but whithout going out on a limb here too much i would say they dont want the hassle of solicitors and angry participants. It is a fine line between spreading the word of poor service and becoming a watchdog type site with all of its legailities and hassle, this is a bushcraft site after all isnt it?
I also agree with OP in regards to people fanning thew flames. There is nothing constructive in "ooo thats rubbish service" "I have no evidence but i THINK.....etc etc" "burn them all" It realy does start to sound very fishwifey, apologies to any fish wives. If you have no personal experince of the company or nothing helpful to contribute maybe its best to keep shtum. I understand its hard and i too am guilty of getting my back up but maybe its time to take a step back. Also remember that the customer is not always right!......

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
The thing we have to be careful off is getting into the same situation that the hotel industry is struggling with now.
Basicaly the punter goes to said hotel has no issue what so ever with the service and says nothing upon leaving. The punter then goes straight to the most popular review site of the time and writes a daming review slating everything.
The punter is now waiting for the company to contact them to offer a "settlement", even worse they contact the Hotel and threaten them directly, "If you dont give us our money back we will leave the review in place"
Yes you can contact the website directly but more often than not they will not remove the content. Now I am not saying that BCUK would not remove the content but whithout going out on a limb here too much i would say they dont want the hassle of solicitors and angry participants. It is a fine line between spreading the word of poor service and becoming a watchdog type site with all of its legailities and hassle, this is a bushcraft site after all isnt it?
I also agree with OP in regards to people fanning thew flames. There is nothing constructive in "ooo thats rubbish service" "I have no evidence but i THINK.....etc etc" "burn them all" It realy does start to sound very fishwifey, apologies to any fish wives. If you have no personal experince of the company or nothing helpful to contribute maybe its best to keep shtum. I understand its hard and i too am guilty of getting my back up but maybe its time to take a step back. Also remember that the customer is not always right!......

what he said :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Retail is about providing the right service, with the amount of competition these days then there's no room for weakness.

As far as retail sales and customer service is concerned, the customer is always right (even when they're obviously not)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
A poor company can make good as well.

There was a well-established cycle shop and mail order seller who garnered a terrible reputation for shipping late, wrong products, not answering phone, you name it, they did it. When I say shipping late, they were often weeks late.

Well they pulled their socks up, sorted out their issues and now have excellent customer service and turnaround of orders.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
There was a programme on t.v. about a website to which Dwardo might be referring where people only feel bold enough to criticise - and scathingly - once out of sight and on their computers. They may have perfectly legitimate complaints about elements of their stay or meal but voicing them anonymously or under a pseudonym online is not a great way to do it, particularly when they have told their host/supplier earlier that everything was fine.

As has been said, I reckon that you start with some research into your chosen product or course or whatever. You order it/do it/take delivery. If there are then grounds to complain, you go to the provider to sort it out first. If their response is unsatisfactory and they have been given plenty of time to make amends with you, their valued customer (remaining reasonable at all times) then by all means complain publicly.

Shewie said it all: "The customer is always right." Perhaps the internet seems to give us greater latitude to give weight to the Aussie observation that we're just a bunch of whinging Poms...

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
I thought that Tengu's thread ended up fairly positive for Axminster. No-one (hopefully) is daft enough to let one bad axe turn them off a company, as these things can happen, Tengu'd every right to be disappointed though, and to share it with her friends who reassured her that Axminster will make it good.

I'm sure that Tengu will update it when she gets it sorted out with Axminster and if they respond as everyone else has said they will, their reputation will take a further boost.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I thought we were reputed to never complain about anything, not seen to cause a fuss and all that.

In some of the countries I've visited I've seen native people kick off about the smallest of matters, and I'm sitting there thinking we'd never do the same.

If I had an issue my first point of contact would be the retailer rather than a public forum, but in the case of Tengu's issue I'm inclined to think Axminster should have rejected that delivery in the first place rather than sell the naff goods.

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
I use axminster for most of my online tool purchases, and have always had excellent service and an even better after sales. But someone at axminster has had to put the axe in the box.....

If I had an issue my first point of contact would be the retailer rather than a public forum, but in the case of Tengu's issue I'm inclined to think Axminster should have rejected that delivery in the first place rather than sell the naff goods.

how do you know that, the axe was not in perfect condition when it left axminster in devon, but due to transportation issues lets say the axe was damaged in a way that has caused the handle socket to be split and then delivered to tengu who then recives a damaged product. there are lots of varibles in the whole set up and whilst i totaly agree that the axe was naff and neads to be replaced and totaly agree that axminster should consider replacing it.

i totaly support people who complain and tell to others the situation, but i would like to see both conversations rather than just one as i like to be fully informed on whats happening.

the reason i mentioned the tengu situation was , one i know the firm well after trading with them foro 20 years and know how they "normaly" deal with damaged goods, secondly i did not agree that the conversation of the first post is without a mention of axminsters reply to tengus problem

lastly I would like to appologise to tengu, one for calling her a him. sorry i did not know the gender and as like letters i always default to the male gender, may be a gender simbol system should be offered to old farts like me so we get it right, sorry tengu i would have writen that with a mrs or a miss or a madam but i did not wish to upset her any more

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE