Tarp tie out points

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
I just got a new tarp and it is the first one I have had that does not have brass eyelets. It only has sewn in webbing tie out points.

will a single loop of paracord start to cut through this over time or are they plenty strong enough.

how to you attach paracord to a loop like this?

217a2cfdbd375b6197a453794dcce7df.jpg

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Like Mesquite I use the small, cheap, aluminium carabiners - I wasn't a fan at first, seemed too gimmicky, but once I started using them an realised how quick I could set up or reconfigure I was hooked.

Reactions: philipb

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I just got a new tarp and it is the first one I have had that does not have brass eyelets. It only has sewn in webbing tie out points.

will a single loop of paracord start to cut through this over time or are they plenty strong enough.

how to you attach paracord to a loop like this?

217a2cfdbd375b6197a453794dcce7df.jpg
Paracord is pretty soft stuff, it is wide. I use much thinner, harder cord, and not had a cutting problem yet. I expect that it depends on how much use the tarp gets, how much flapping in does, how dirty the lines/loops are and whether you tie using a loop through the loop that allows relative motion, or tie tight to the tie out tape. Nice thing about the tie out you have, if it ever does cut through, you can unpick the stitching and just sew on a new bit of webbing. Not like if a brass eye pulls out.

Do you want the guy lines to be sort of permanently attached, or do you want to be able to take them on and off?

Tying off, lots of ways. Slippery sheet bend, falconer's knot, toggles (marlin spike hitch), bowline tied through the webbing loop, or larks heads. I used to use the latter a lot, but didn't like how they tended to crush the webbing. Bowline's aren't bad for the semi-permanent ties, but they can work loose over time. Perfection loops don't seem to loosen as much as Bowlines in the 2mm polyester line I use.

Now that you have a nice light tarp, why would you want to use paracord for guy lines anyway? ;) Polyester arborist throw line is the next step!

Reactions: philipb

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE