Regular South Wales meets?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
You wont need many tracking skills to find Ted
Lovely fella and a wealth of local info

looks like I am coming to the meet first weekend of Feb with Dougster unless he gets flighty which I hope he doesn't

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wow - this is getting to be a big meet!
It is getting to the point where one fire will not be enough and (unless there are lots of tenters/ground dwellers) we will be stacking hammocks one above the other!:)

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Sapper1 has been in touch to say he sadly cant make it, although there is a good few people down on the list I predict only half will come. I understand with the dire weather we will probably have tho. But thats the fun of it eh? ;)

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
looks like I am coming to the meet first weekend of Feb with Dougster unless he gets flighty which I hope he doesn't

Sadly my shooting / culling requirements have to top the list or they will be given to someone else....

I hope to be there, but if that is when the guns make the dray day, so be it I'm afraid.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Sorry guys, so what date & where have we agreed on again?

I was thinking about trying out glunymulfarm as well. rik_uk3, whats it like in the woods area, you reckon its a bit muddy now do you for bivying?

Cheers

Shane

I had the honour of meeting Ted today. I missed Ian (but only by inches on the drive out :D).

I booked in for some woodland camping tonight but had to cut it short for domestic reasons :(.

Anyway, the woodland is knee deep in mud and it's a job making your way through it. They have horses within the woodland which only adds to the problems! Trying to find a patch mud-free and manure-free was beyond me!
As well as horses and quad bikes churning up the ground, there are quite a few springs running down to the river so I would guess it's wet most of the year. Judging by the litchen on the trees, I would say that sunshine is rare within the valley too.

When I go back it's defo a hammock for me.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Its over a year since I've been and I thought back then the way Ian was cutting everything down he was turning it over to quad bikers...shame.

Into_the_wild

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
Neath
Thanks for the info guys, its a shame about that farm It sounded perfect at first I could have walked in an dout as well, but not as appealing any more gutted its only up the road from me, I was hoping to make somewhere like that my base for practising when I got spare days here and there. Any where else worth a look close-ish to me (Neath), where I could get some good practise In.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Thanks for the info guys, its a shame about that farm It sounded perfect at first I could have walked in an dout as well, but not as appealing any more gutted its only up the road from me, I was hoping to make somewhere like that my base for practising when I got spare days here and there. Any where else worth a look close-ish to me (Neath), where I could get some good practise In.

That was my intention too.
If it's just up the road then give it a go anyway. I got the impression from Ian and Ted that the horses were only there in the winter and I imagine it's a much nicer place to be when the mud isn't ankle deep.

It is 18 acres in all so maybe I would have found it better the further down the track I went. Waders would be needed though!

Into_the_wild

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
Neath
Yes, I will pop up there soon and have a nose, if the guy is as nice as everyone says, he should be ok with me having a good look around to see what areas are any good for me to camp in. Will I seriously need waders to have a good scout around, wellies wont do?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Horses + winter rain + mud = +++++ mud.

You go down a track to reach the river site, at the bottom of the track on the left as you reach the river is a spot that should be OK in drier months.

Turn right and there is a small spot within a few metres and a further two spots if you walk down the river; again should be OK in drier periods. The last spot at the end of the site is a little higher and subject to no more tree's been cut, be fine for tents and hammocks.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Dare I ask if anyone has sorted out the firewood? :)

Ask!

I have a reasonable amount of canadian slow grown spruce (stuff they make log cabins from). They are 3mtr lengths of 34mm thick stuff and i've cut up a good few lengths.

I've cut around two sacks full so far but I may pop some more in just in case.

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Ive only just had a new gelert solo and had a quick look at it in the living room.....SMALL!!! Im gonna boil between that and my sleeping bag. Its gonna be a good weekend im looking forward.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE