recommend me good outdoors book preferably fiction

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Dangerous River by RM Patterson
The Oregon Trail by Francis Parkman
Wolf Totem by Jiang Rong
Cache Lake Country by John J. Rowlands
Sources of the River by Jack Nisbet
Canoeing with the Cree by Eric Sevareid
The Nick Adams Stories by Ernest Hemingway
any of the mysteries by Tony Hillerman
Death in the Long Grass and Death in Silent Places by Peter Hathaway Capstick

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
Lots of good suggestions. I've been looking for some sort of wondering nomad type story for a while so if anyone can think of anything like that it'd be great. (Know I haven't really given you much to go on there)...

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
'The Singing Wilderness' by Sigurd Olsen (or anything else by him, for that matter). His descriptions of travel through the wilderness are fantastic.

zorro

Nomad
Jun 6, 2009
Chesterfield UK
and if your into escape and evasion, the one that got away by chris ryan is very good.
chris was along side andy mcnab in the famous bravo two zero pratrol in the first gulf war but they got seperated and this book is chris's side of the story (much better than andy's book imo)

pete

And when you've read them, try "the real bravo two zero" by Michael Asher, then you can draw your own conclusion as to how much of an incompetent liar Mcnab really is.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have to second Hoodoo on the Peter Capstick books Death in the Long Grass and Death in the Silent Places followed by The African Adventurers: A Return to the Silent Places. Hunting and saffari stories, mostly Africa. Very well written.

Similar matter, but very different in style, and set in India
The Jim Corbett Omnibus: Man-eaters of Kumaon; The Man-eating Leopard of Rudraprayag;

A Fortunate Life by A.B. Facey and Robert Juniper. A biography set in pre WWI outback Australian

Nunaga: Ten Years Among the Eskimos by Duncan Pryde Although this is only in Mors Kochanski's "number two shed" I still thought it a good read.

I was about to recommend Elmer Keith' "Hell I was there", only to discover that even second hand they are a whee bit pricy :eek:

Last edited:

Urban_Dreamer

Jan 8, 2009
Rochdale
as per title really or an adult outdoors book/diary of someone real or a fictional book

drew

Well it's really a kids book, but Brendon Chase by BB is well worth a read. Mine contains a forward by Phillip Pullman who describes it as "the sort of book that will never be written again".

Hopefully it's ok to post a Amazon link, though there are other sources of books the reviews make them the first choice to link to.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-rev...ts=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Grayfox

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
North West Lancashire
I'm not a poetry man really, too much poetry seems to obscure meaning rather than clarify it, and these aren't strictly bushcraft but try reading Robert Service. Born in Lancashire he spent about 10 years in the Yukon, and died in the 1950s.

If you've never read any of his stuff you might have heard of the Killing of Dan McGrew or The Creation of Sam Mcgee.

Very entertaining

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Hi Drew,
I have to admit not having read all of the posts, so apologise if someones mentioned the following.
Any of Wilfred Thesiger's books if you can get your hands on any; they're referred to as travellogs (which I suppose they are), but are much more.
Arabian Sands describes one of his journey with Bedouin guides through the Rub' al Khali (The Empty Quarter) of the Arabian Peninsula in 1946.
The Marsh Arabs gives an account of his time with the Madan of the marshes in southern Iraq. Both are fascinating descriptions of ways of life now gone.

Thesiger was a member of the LRDG, the early SAS and the Greek Sacred Squadron during WWII. Some of his photos can be found in Oxford University's Pitt Rivers website at
http://www.prm.ox.ac.uk/ThesigerWeb/

T E Lawrence's (Lawrence of Arabia) writing is also well worth reading.

Cheers.

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
I'm currently reading Wildwood by Roger Deakin. I think its brilliant. I'm not very good at summing up in a few words so i'll quote the back blurb:

"Roger Deakin's unmatched exploration of our relationship with trees is autobiography, history, traveller's tale and incisive work of natural history. It will take you into the heart of the woods, where we go 'to grow, learn and change'."

He's currently in the wild walnut forest of kyrgyzstan. Sounds like an incredible place. Idyllic. Highly recomended (not fiction though).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE